Sign in to follow this  

inner rotor vs outer rotor vs stator pros and cons

i am looking at getting a outer rotor kit. but need some help decideing what to get i have a typical flywheel now will be putting a 160 in my bike with the bbk hopefully by monday. but i want it to rev up quick. i race flat track and some motocross. am a begining ridder on the pitbike but have been racing big bikes and atvs for awhile.

outer rotor is a hppy medium, if your flat tracking i say IRK, irk has some adjustability much like the outer rotor. outer rotor has more and can power lights, were irk cannot, some prefer the stock stator, most who do ride trails or tight tracks were the inertia keeps the flywheel going. more open riding area like street or circle track go with irk, if you want lights, go outer rotor

Honestly if your looking for Info on (IRK) Go to planet Minis and use the search option there are hundreds of replies and Opinions on (IRK). IMHO these motors that have a IRK are the hardest to tune and Jet from my experiance.... reason the motor revs so quick I dont believe the Carb can keep up results a tendency to stall for some riders that dont have the throttle control needed to use IRK.

chinainnerrotor.jpg

Stock Ignition are just that Stock and Reliable and enough mass and momentum to keep the bike from Stalling. Upgrades for a Stock Ign are a (Rev Box and Lighten the flywheel)

flywheels.jpg

Outer Rotor Ignition are fairly new to the Market and only offered up from Tokyo Mods (Modified Cr125 Ign) for a Pit Bike and for the Past few years at $850.00 bucks but Boast a 10 Map programable ign Curves with the flick of a switch.

the New Chinese Version of the Outer Rotor has a (4) Position adjustable Ign Timing (on the ign plate) that you can remove the bolts a splin to 4 different positions (im guessing (2) for + advance and (2) for - Retard)

OuterRotorIgn.jpg

I have one of the China Outer Rotors that comes stock on the New Lifan 150cc Motor...and I love it...👍

If you are looking for a less expensive alternative, an inner rotor with the $35 Reeg brass rotor weight is a nice compromise. My bike came with the IRK already, and it ran great, but with the Reeg weight it is perfect.

thanks for the info. i already have the high rev cdi. i think i will start with shaveing the flywheel asi can get that done free. and i did it to my sons 146 and it was just the ticket. so i will start there. thanks again for hte info

can you get outer rotor kits for a 125 lifan engine?

All Honda and China CRf50 Based and the Yx Motors Ignitions are Interchangeable

LIFAN,GPX,JIALING,LONCIN and Zongshen motors......👍

I do have to say that although my current bike is my first pitbike, the IRK has taken some getting used to.

It's absolutely nothing like the other bikes I've ever ridden that have conventional stators. I agree with Precision about the issues with stalling out...I haven't stalled a bike in like 4 years...but this pitbike has been stalling left and right due to the difference in throttle control that I'm having to adjust to.

The only thing that helps stalling besides wieght added is an annoyingly high idle.

The only thing that helps stalling besides wieght added is an annoyingly high idle.

I dont really think it becomes an issue on the street at all. I run a IRK in both my street/Motard Race bikes

I thought he said he will race some motocross? On the street, should be OK, on a motocross track, i ahve taken all our IRKs off.

i want to have a little better throttle response so should i get a outer rotor kit or a rev box, i run a headlight on my bike so i know a inner rotor kit is out.

i want to have a little better throttle response so should i get a outer rotor kit or a rev box, i run a headlight on my bike so i know a inner rotor kit is out.

A Rev Box is not going to give you a better throttle responce what it will do is depending on the make of the Rev Box is change the Ignition Curve through out the Power range.

so what should i do then to make it.

I cant tell you to go out a buy a Outer Rotor and it not be able to wire up the Lights...

as an Inner rotor and Outer rotor both have there own CDI Ignitions.

Its possible that lights can be wired into the Outer Rotor, there sure were enough wires

I have mine hidden and out of site so without tearing half the bike apart to look at what wires were left over.

Anyone have an Outer Rotor and can see whats availible for wires???

where can you buy outer rotor kits?

Mine came in The New Lifan 150cc motor I got from Pitster

Lifan150cc3.jpg

OuterRotorIgn.jpg