*** Neutral!?!?!?

Ok, so not only is neutral a pain in the dick to find on these SBAs, but its like once you do find it...the bike doesnt want to stay there. Here is the scenario. Finish Riding, come to a stop in first with the clutch in, sit there for like a 5 minutes boucing between 1st and 2nd trying to get the damn thing into neutral, finally give up and shut the bike off. Then you sit there for another 2 mins until you finally find neutral. This is the bitch of it all. Once the bike is in neutral and you push it (either into the garage or out of the way somewhere)...it slips into either 1st or 2nd and the rear wheel locks up. Then you have to kick it back into neutral and repeat this process until the bike is where you want it. Is this a common problem? Is there a solution or am I an idiot?

When I had a 1d3up lifan, neutral was kinda hard to find, but it wasn't that hard and it didn't go into gear unexpectedly. It's a hassle, but if it doesn't get better as the engine breaks in, you may have to remove the right side cover and see if the shift star is loose or the detent spring isn't tight enough.

I haven't done this on a pitbike, so someone who has more experience will chime in. I have had a similar problem with an XR200 which has a similar shifting arrangement.

Ok, so not only is neutral a pain in the dick to find on these SBAs, but its like once you do find it...the bike doesnt want to stay there. Here is the scenario. Finish Riding, come to a stop in first with the clutch in, sit there for like a 5 minutes boucing between 1st and 2nd trying to get the damn thing into neutral, finally give up and shut the bike off. Then you sit there for another 2 mins until you finally find neutral. This is the bitch of it all. Once the bike is in neutral and you push it (either into the garage or out of the way somewhere)...it slips into either 1st or 2nd and the rear wheel locks up. Then you have to kick it back into neutral and repeat this process until the bike is where you want it. Is this a common problem? Is there a solution or am I an idiot?

It maybe too late but... Call SDG and order their Shift fix it kit comes with a new modifed shift star, then go to your local honda dealer and order a TRX 90 (Shift drum Stopper spring) it had more tension than the one thats in your Motor.

so for $45.00 bucks total to fix or make better the most common issue with the lifan Motors...or buy a new Motor (4 up shift) Lifan or GPX for $400.00

your choice

Honda TRX 90 your looking for the #9 part

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/HOM/2/14HF7P/ILLUST/HF74E/1500.Gif

It maybe too late but...so for $45.00 bucks total to fix or make better the most common issue with the lifan Motors...or buy a new Motor (4 up shift) Lifan or GPX for $400.00 your choice

Too late for what? Too late isnt good. Thats like hearing the doctor say "uh oh" during surgery. Also, the SBAs have a Jailing engine. Are they pretty much the same as Lifan? Im hoping it will get easier as the engine breaks in. Ive also noticed that sometimes its like you really gotta slam the lever up into 2nd to get it to engage. Probably another bad sign.

C333 - You mean these arent suicide shifters!?!? Let me go try with my foot.......nope. Same thing ?

Too late for what? Too late isnt good. Thats like hearing the doctor say "uh oh" during surgery. Also, the SBAs have a Jailing engine. Are they pretty much the same as Lifan?

Too late as in No Good

also the Jialing (1down 3up) shift Tranny it also has the False neutral Issues as the Lifans do.

thats why Jialing, Lifan & Zongshen all went to All Up shift transmissions. early 07 Jialing 4 up shifts also had issues with a Batch of motors

they also are still installing the (1d 3up) motors in some of the entry level Pit bikes

Sux Man,

Been there and done it many times trying to fix or replacing parts and swaping motors in lots of local guys bikes for years

Yup.....my Lifan 125 was similar shift wise,once it went I got an OGM 140 all up & now I'd never get a 1/3 ever again.:ride:

My buddy has a Lifan 110 & his is even harder to find N than mine was,it has a 3 valve head though & was faster than my 125.?

after a few oil changed with good oil my one down 3 up jialing was perfect, i didnt slam gears either during the first few oil changes. starting to think i got lucky??????

my friends sba is fine too though but i made sure he broke it in my way

Im hopin they get better with the next few oil changes and further engine break in. If I have to drop a new, 4 up, engine in there Im gonna be pissed. If had known that I couldve just shelled out the extra money for a more reliable pitster ?

From my experiances with Pit Bike motors, the Transmission often feels very Notchy and tight for the first 1/2 hour or so if its going past that lets give it a few hours....your going to have an issue sooner than later with the Transmission and an Oil change will not fix it!!!!!

Im Sorry I have to Bash the 1 Down 3 up Motors but for Years the Companys (Lifan, Zongshen and Jialing) have know of the Issues and just ignore them. My belief is the tollerences and metals are the issues not design.... These motors are produced by the 20 of thousands....:rant: and the chance of the chinese actually checking the Tollerences often (For real) these problems wouldn't happen. to them just accepting the defective units for another new unit makes more sence....:ride:

But as of lately I do believe things are getting much better.....

In the 2006 Sikk mx bikes the Lifan 120cc Motors have to be at the top of the Junk List.... IMO we went through (4) all up Motors in 2 weeks all went bad with in (20-45 min's) all with transmisson issues. I later found out that out of the 15 bikes the local dealer sold all 15 bikes had problems.

I sourced a low hour Jailing GPX 4 up motor and its still running today

Help Fix 1d &3up

SDG Makes a "Fix Kit" that consists of a Modified shift Star. This ONLY works on the motors that have a (1 down 3 up) Shift Pattern!

also what will assist that it makes that positive shift is a TRX90 (SPRING, SHIFT DRUM STOPPER ) $4.00 "Spring" which makes more tension

These 2 Items when used Soon enough will help eliminate, and fix 85% of you Mis-shift and finding neutral problems. But sometimes it will not help at all, but for the Under $40.00 to try fix to the $400.00 for a new motor....

its your choice...at least you have an option...?

Mobil conventional? Does it have this symbol on the bottle?

API_Service_Symbol.gif

If so, do not use it. It will mess with your clutch and that could be causing your tranny difficulties.

Look for one that doesn't say energy conserving

Its non-synthetic Mobil Clean 5000 10w-40 Performance Motor Oil.

On the back of the quart it says API SM/CF SL, SJ, SH, SG.

There is a symbol similar to the one above, but all it says is API Service SM/CF and in the center it says SAE 10w-40.

Any speacial tools to do the shift star fix kit?

If I don't have an tranny problems, am I best suited to just let it be?

you will need a clutchnut special tool and a air or impact wrench or Clutch holding tool

basic metric 6 point sockets, #5mm allen wrench

the kit is an upgrade thats all I can say its an improvement to the stock Shift star