Sign in to follow this  

Acerbis tank ergonomics?

I did a search, but could not find info on the ergonomics of the Acerbis 4.2 tank. I've read that the clark 3.9 is a little awkward and the IMS 3.2 is good ergonomically... but i'm not sure the 3.2 is enough range. Can anyone comment on the acerbis tank? Is it really wide by the knees compared to stock? Thanks

i think the clarke is the best it holds 3.9 but i have put 4 full gallons in . plus most of the gas is low for better handling plus it emptys the best you dont have to lean the bike over to get the gas over to the other side i get 180 miles a tank and thats with hard riding . sure it is taller but like me it takes 1 gallon to get were i ride i the hills so buy the time i get there most of the gas is low . plus it goes on easy and you keep the fan . i put mine on in 30mins

thanks for the info guys... I have to admit Im not a huge fan of the clark looks and I've heard it holds the fuel up higher.

Mostly Im just battling between an IMS 3.2 and the Acerbis 4.25, I want the extra capacity of the Acerbis but Im not sure if the size of it will drive me nuts. Is it really alot wider than the IMS or just taller? :thumbsup:

hmmm... clark 3.6... didn't even know about that one. This is getting hard to decide...

hmmm... clark 3.6... didn't even know about that one. This is getting hard to decide...

Bear in mind that the Clarke 3.6 is for the E model, not the S/SM. I just installed that model on my green E (see related post if interested). You didn't say which model you had, IIRC.

Bear in mind that the Clarke 3.6 is for the E model, not the S/SM. I just installed that model on my green E (see related post if interested). You didn't say which model you had, IIRC.

Acerbis is for the E too. Basically you will need to fab your own mounts when you want to put an E spec tank to an S/SM. Maybe relocate the horn and ditch the fan.

Just so you know, the IMS fits both the E and S -no need to remove the horn or fan in case you want to keep them.

That Clarke 3.6 looks great by the way :thumbsup:

I have an S with the clark 3.9. I seriously don't even notice the difference riding it. Carries the fuel up higher but usually my dirt rides use about 2 gal or less so I only put about 3 gal in it so the fuel is the same height as stock. Filler up for extended range of dual sporting / commuting where the weight probably less likely to matter. Got mine new old stock on ebay for $100 and I'm tickled with it. Several aftermarket tanks on Ebay right now I noticed. I love the natural so you can see the fuel level. The natural doesn't look as good down the road but my bike is to ride not show so yes it is scratched and the stickers are gone. Might even be a little dirt on it somewhere. I kinda like the non cluttered without stickers look.

thanks for the info guys. I have an e model by the way and just got it plated for the street. I think im gonna need more capacity over stock. The clarke 3.6 looks like a good choice... the Acerbis just seems a little too big for my tastes.

i think the clarke is the best

I can see adding you opinion for the Clarke.

But how can you make this conclusion?

Do you also own an Acerbis? What about the IMS?

plus most of the gas is low for better handling

Strange, when I rode with one I thought the gas was held much higher then when I rode with the IMS tank.