Sign in to follow this  

2000 XR250 ... How much should I pay???

Its in average shape and wondered what a fair price should be? The seller wants $2K.....I feel this may be a bit high......considering a bought a cherry '02 CR250 for $2K in the fall. What do you think???:thumbsup::ride:

Hmm... go to see it in person and look for ways in which you can talk the buyer down in price, such as the swing arm bolt, listening to the engine for piston slap or knocking, checking the frame over for cracks or bends, and so on. Also, a lot of the unseen issues can come out when test riding a bike, especially things like the clutch, transmission, brakes, etc.

Its in average shape and wondered what a fair price should be? The seller wants $2K.....I feel this may be a bit high......considering a bought a cherry '02 CR250 for $2K in the fall. What do you think???:thumbsup::ride:

XRs have a much better resale than CRs do. I don't know what that bike is like, but you should look up nada and kbb value, and use that as a starting point. If the bike is super clean it might be worth it. I know there is one here for 2500 that has been sale for over a year and it is not moving.

I too would really look the bike over, and use book as a starting point. average retail on NADA is not something you should pay. Also, if he doesn't budge, give him your number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind. There are going to be plenty of bikes for sale.

Price - Line - Negotiator!

$2000? And one guy says offer $1800? Here's where Captain Kirk needs to jump in and whisper in your ear.....$2K? >>namby-pamby!<< $1800? >>cupcake!<< $1500? >>NOW you are negtiating!<<

It's worth $1600 in average shape. My god, it's an 8 year old DIRT BIIKE! Flash the dead presidents, cash in hand. If he says no, walk away. Give him your number if he changes his mind. There are better bikes out there for less coin. I just paid $1800 for my 02' XR4 in GOOD shape! On EBAY! Oh! buy the 04' XR650R going for $2K on ebay now. $500 shipping, and you still get a GREAT deal!

haahahhahahah! Your cracking me up! Maybe your right $1500 it is! Thanks Kirk!

hmm, sometimes when i am selling things and i feel i'm asking a fair price, when someone lowballs a crappy price at me, i've just told them.. No thanks - obviously you don't want this. Usually the response from them is something like "aren't we negotiating here??" which will bring up a response from me along the lines "nope - someone else will be getting the chance to buy this"

its one thing when you are asking TOP buck for something, but when it is a fair price to begin with. Think of it this way, if it were your bike would you be offended if someone insulted you like that?

that said, in ontario here, $2000 for a 2000 model year XR250 is a great deal, I've got a 1999 i wouldn't sell that cheap -

Bones, Dammit Jim,Im a Doctor,not a negotiator!!

Price - Line - Negotiator!

$2000? And one guy says offer $1800? Here's where Captain Kirk needs to jump in and whisper in your ear.....$2K? >>namby-pamby!<< $1800? >>cupcake!<< $1500? >>NOW you are negtiating!<<

It's worth $1600 in average shape. My god, it's an 8 year old DIRT BIIKE! Flash the dead presidents, cash in hand. If he says no, walk away. Give him your number if he changes his mind. There are better bikes out there for less coin. I just paid $1800 for my 02' XR4 in GOOD shape! On EBAY! Oh! buy the 04' XR650R going for $2K on ebay now. $500 shipping, and you still get a GREAT deal!

Bones,dammit Jim,Im a doctor,not a negotiator, Spock,vulcan mind meld,get that price down!

Mr.Bond....I see where you are coming from but......Its 8 years old......and this is not Canada. Kelley Blue Book Retail Value is $2100. Retail is 20-30% higher than private value.......:thumbsup:

I paid $1,600 for my XR250 last June and it is an '01. I am on Craigslist almost daily and around St. Louis (fairly large city), 2k for an '00 is too high by $500. Mine was also in great shape, nothing aftermarket, nothing beat-up, clean title, original owner.

I think you should offer much less...start around $1,000-$1,200 and meet in the middle where you think is fair. Other items to consider:

-How long has it been on the market?

-SHOW the seller comparisons

The guy I bought mine from started out asking $2,500 just because he had some old crappy boots thrown in. He had it on the market for 2 months. I emailed him and showed him other Craiglists bikes. Told him that if he truly wanted to sell it he was asking too much. We agreed on $1,700 before I got there (1.5 hr drive) and settled on $1,600 after it was said and done.

I paid $1,600 for my XR250 last June and it is an '01. I am on Craigslist almost daily and around St. Louis (fairly large city), 2k for an '00 is too high by $500. Mine was also in great shape, nothing aftermarket, nothing beat-up, clean title, original owner.

I think you should offer much less...start around $1,000-$1,200 and meet in the middle where you think is fair. Other items to consider:

-How long has it been on the market?

-SHOW the seller comparisons

The guy I bought mine from started out asking $2,500 just because he had some old crappy boots thrown in. He had it on the market for 2 months. I emailed him and showed him other Craiglists bikes. Told him that if he truly wanted to sell it he was asking too much. We agreed on $1,700 before I got there (1.5 hr drive) and settled on $1,600 after it was said and done.

This is the way to do it that does not insult the seller. If you wanna make the deal document why he's asking too much.