Sign in to follow this  

Adding Coolant?

distilled water.........

and tilt the bike over on it's side 10-20 degrees each side to "burp" the air out of the system...

Im curious too as to why you had to drain the tanks to install guards.

I dont know, for the moose guards its two pieces and to install the inner piece you need to disconnect the hoses.

I dont know, for the moose guards its two pieces and to install the inner piece you need to disconnect the hoses.

Hmm, first i have heard of this. But i dont think i have read many reports on the moose guards except they look sturdy. Thanks for the heads up and explanation. :thumbsup:

Hmm, first i have heard of this. But i dont think i have read many reports on the moose guards except they look sturdy. Thanks for the heads up and explanation. :thumbsup:

If more people knew this before they bought them, I bet they would go another route. Or does Moose tell you this before you buy.

I wrote this review awhile back:

These Moose Racing radiator guards are constructed very sturdy and should withstand most reasonable impacts. I chose these because they retain the front louvers to allow for the maximun amount of airflow. The installation went very easy. Three things I’d like to bring forward to potential purchasers. First is they require you to drain the coolant to install the inner half of the braces, so before starting the job make sure you have coolant. Second is to tighten the bolts for the inner support rods before you bolt the guard up the frame, I’m sure the directions stated this but I only looked at the pictures of the directions. Finally when replacing the upper radiator hose you may want to consider a hose that’s slightly longer, I simply re-centered mine and made it work, also be careful that the radiator clamps on the top do not rub on your frame. The shrouds fit via a spacer and require no trimming. I’m very happy that I purchased these guards.

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_reviews_info.php/products_id/2480/reviews_id/582

For what I'm using my 450X for these guards work the best for me, if I would have found a pair of Roosters I might have considered those.

I have the Moose cages and they do require draining the coolant (Good excuse to flush and change the coolant anyway). For tight single track riding, I like how the Moose cages don't obstruct the air flow yet provide good protection for the radiators.

I had a disagreement with a tree last summer and tore the bolt out of the shroud but there was no damage at all to the radiator itself. Good stuff.