3k generator-which one?

I am looking buying a 3k generator. I have been looking at the Honda EU3000iS and the Yamaha EF3000iSEB. I know the Honda is hard to beat, but the Yamaha with the integrated wheels and the boost feature really make it attractive.

Do any of you have experience with these models?

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

I've heard nothing but good things about both of them, except that the Honda seems to be quieter.

I did a lot of shopping around before I got my generators, but am by no means an expert on them. I have a small Coleman (yea, I know, but it was sooooo cheap at Sam's club I couldn't resist) and a big Generac (by big I mean 30 HP). The Coleman is easily portable, but loud, and you can tell it isn't all that industrial. The Generac is a big, industrial unit, with all the weight & noise associated with it.

Another you might want to consider would be the NorthStar from Northern Hydraulic. They use Honda engines & their own generator units. They seem to be good quality for the $$$.

One last thing to consider for a generator is whether to go with a brush-and-armature type, or brushless. The brush-type will keep their polarity forever, while the brushless MUST be run every once in a while to keep the polarity in the windings. Otherwise, when you start it up, it won't charge until properly polarized. The brush style again has more parts to wear out (brushes).

If you will use it often, or at least start it up 2-3 times a year to keep the polarity, I suggest the brushless. If it may sit for more than 6 months at a time, the brush style may be better.

I am looking buying a 3k generator. I have been looking at the Honda EU3000iS and the Yamaha EF3000iSEB. I know the Honda is hard to beat, but the Yamaha with the integrated wheels and the boost feature really make it attractive.

Do any of you have experience with these models?

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

Either is a sweet unit:thumbsup:

I've owned both. The Honda is a tad quieter at idle (small load) and the Yamaha is a bit quieter at full speed. The built in wheels and the boost feature are a big plus in my book. I sold the Honda and kept the Yamaha. I couldn't be happier. I also own an old Yamaha EF1000 that I've had for over 15 years and it's never missed a beat.

Bottom line.........they are both great units and I'd take either one.

I looked at all the high end generators and decided to go the other way. I picked up a 3500W chinese made generator that is private labeled by PowerMax. They are close to me and I was able to pick it up so saved shipping costs. I think the final price was right around $185 when I bought it about a year ago. Here is their current model at $269:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=120246893565&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1120

I figured that at this price if the thing lasts more that a couple years I am way ahead. So far it's been pretty good. I did have a problem with one of the engine seals that blew out. It appears the seal was bad form the factory - very hard. PowerMax sent out a new seal and it was a snap to put in - took about an hour in total. Since then it's been just great. And I don't feel bad about running it int he middle of summer in the desert. Just something to think about. For the price of the Honda I can buy about 4 of these - But I do agree that the Honda is a sweet unit!

i run the yamaha 2800i, much lighter and really quiet, will only start the a/c with the fridge on lp. is the only drawback. (12,500 a/c)

Isn't the yammy electric start? I'd go for that one.

Ordered the Yami EF3000iSEB. The wheels are an integral part of the design, it has the boost feature, and a good price (remote start too)! It should be delivered tomorrow!