Supermoto for commuting?

Thinking about buying a street legal bike for my 50m/day roundtrip commute. Consists of about 8 miles of 2-lane, twisty highway and the rest is primarily straight, flat freeway. Are any of the CA street legal (Husky, KTM...) supermoto bikes conducive to this type of commute? Would expect to put 6-8000m/year on it.

Would these bikes just require too much maintenance?

The Ducati is probably out of the question ($!).

I would appreciate any input from owners of these sorts of bikes.

Your daily ride is very similar to mine. Here in a couple weeks, I plan to sell my DR200 and upgrade to a DRZ400SM street legal Super Moto bike for the ride to work. Should make the trip a whole lot more fun.

I've done a bunch of research on the Suzuki Super Moto bike. I've been told that the valve maintenance is no where near what a MX bike needs. You just don't hit the high RPM's on the street like you do on a dirt bike. 6000 to 8000 miles betwen valve checks are very common on the Suzuki. I would think the KTM and Husky would be the same.

Good post, I'm looking forward to many answers.

What you want is the XR650R converted to street [very easy] this bike runs for ever and goes like hell a blast on the street 15-45 gearing with the stock rims,15-41 gearing with 17in rims highly recomended :thumbsup:

I think the ones intended for racing have too frequent valve adjustment schedules to be practical, but I may not know what the hell I'm talking about either. The Suzuki would be perfect though, I see em all over the place. I rode a few weeks back with a guy who commutes on his KTM 525 dual-sport - with the knobbies still on it! I think I'd rather be on the supermoto myself.

A big-bore single SM has tremendous torque and can out-accelerate any car on the road at a stoplight, and out-maneuver any 600cc sport bike and low speeds. I think they're ideal for commuting, especially in traffic. So long as you don't have to check the valves every 1000 miles.

Thinking about buying a street legal bike for my 50m/day roundtrip commute. Consists of about 8 miles of 2-lane, twisty highway and the rest is primarily straight, flat freeway. Are any of the CA street legal (Husky, KTM...) supermoto bikes conducive to this type of commute? Would expect to put 6-8000m/year on it.

Would these bikes just require too much maintenance?

The Ducati is probably out of the question ($!).

I would appreciate any input from owners of these sorts of bikes.

I think the DRZ is a really good choice for that because of it's low

maintenance requirements. I've commuted on my '07 EXC and it's just too

light on the road for my liking. I'm easily pushed around by the wind and

cars rushing past me. I have to wonder how my KTM would feel with 17" SM wheels and tires.

What you want is the XR650R converted to street [very easy] this bike runs for ever and goes like hell a blast on the street 15-45 gearing with the stock rims,15-41 gearing with 17in rims highly recommended :thumbsup:

That's a great suggestion but the fact that he's in Kalifornistan will likely

make a 650R conversion impossible.