Sign in to follow this  

Found out why the 450 was running hot....

I noticed a little excessive popping on decel so I decided to remove my pipe and check the seal from pipe to flange when I noticed that the head pipe was pushing down so hard on the top of the water pump that the head pipe couldnt even fit snuggly on the exhaust flange mounted to the cylinder, my water pump was weaping after only a minute or two of warm up, so I wedged the small flat end of a chisel between the pipe and top of water pump and with a short 2x4 I layed flat on top of the head pipe and I took my rubber hammer and bumped it lightly and made a small indention so that I have a little over a 1/4 of an inch clearance from head pipe to waterpump, any one else have contact between the two? The head pipe had worn a flat spot on top of the pump housing, I lightly sanded the portion of the flange that slides inside the head pipe and also the the inner portion of the head pipe where the 2 make contact and a nice tight fit now with the springs secured in place, I also put a small bead of high temp orange sealant around the edge of the flange and no more popping.:thumbsup:

I noticed a little excessive popping on decel so I decided to remove my pipe and check the seal from pipe to flange when I noticed that the head pipe was pushing down so hard on the top of the water pump that the head pipe couldnt even fit snuggly on the exhaust flange mounted to the cylinder, my water pump was weaping after only a minute or two of warm up, so I wedged the small flat end of a chisel between the pipe and top of water pump and with a short 2x4 I layed flat on top of the head pipe and I took my rubber hammer and bumped it lightly and made a small indention so that I have a little over a 1/4 of an inch clearance from head pipe to waterpump, any one else have contact between the two? The head pipe had worn a flat spot on top of the pump housing, I lightly sanded the portion of the flange that slides inside the head pipe and also the the inner portion of the head pipe where the 2 make contact and a nice tight fit now with the springs secured in place, I also put a small bead of high temp orange sealant around the edge of the flange and no more popping.:thumbsup:

I've noticed all big bores on the showroom floor have the header touching the W/P cover...Mine touches also. Never had a waterpump issue....The headpipe not sealing is a new one tho....