Sign in to follow this  

Air Box Mod & K&n Filter

The air box mod and a new K&N filter has really made a difference to my bike.:ride: I thought it wouldn't help that much, but it really does add much pep. It also makes the bike sound louder and deeper.:thumbsup: It is something worth spending your money on. Especially if you're going to put an aftermarket pipe on. Please leave a quick post if you have done this to your bike, and what you think about it. Also, post pictures if you have any.

didnt go the k&n route.....when bbr instead....didnt notice the big gains people talk about.....and 1/2 hp???? i doubt it but a good free flowing air filter thats lasts an fiters the air well is always a good thing...the bigger air filter doesnt get clogged up as fast. the size and quality of the material im sure helps performance....some .but it didnt wow me.....the k&n prob does the same thing they make great fitlers and i have them on both myy cars. i find them a little harder to clean than duel foam filters is why i dont have them on my bikes......but they are def as good as any filter out there, maybe better.

The gains with bigger filters and opening up the air box are minimal at the bottom end... they are more for the top end of the rev range -when the cylinder is sucking the air in faster and the stock filter can't flow air fast enough. They do add a bit of throttle response across the board for a similar reason - that instant input of fast moving air is not being restricted by the smaller surface area of the stock filter.

They are also less likely to make a noticeable improvement if you maintain a clean filter. It's a placebo style effect when people perform the mod with a crapped up filter. Try doing the mod with a clean filter before hand... that's a better baseline. You won't notice the "big" gains.

It's still a good mod for those with aspirations to make this bike more interesting and fun. It makes a bigger impact when you change out the exhaust, carb, and perform engine work. This is true of cars as well. It wouldn't make sense to stroke/bore an engine, upgrade the exhaust and intake, and go with a stock size paper filter - it would kill any performance gains.

AJs bike has the Uni BBR unit... we use the No Toil cleaner and oil with it.

-Kerry

The gains with bigger filters and opening up the air box are minimal at the bottom end... they are more for the top end of the rev range -when the cylinder is sucking the air in faster and the stock filter can't flow air fast enough. They do add a bit of throttle response across the board for a similar reason - that instant input of fast moving air is not being restricted by the smaller surface area of the stock filter.

They are also less likely to make a noticeable improvement if you maintain a clean filter. It's a placebo style effect when people perform the mod with a crapped up filter. Try doing the mod with a clean filter before hand... that's a better baseline. You won't notice the "big" gains.

It's still a good mod for those with aspirations to make this bike more interesting and fun. It makes a bigger impact when you change out the exhaust, carb, and perform engine work. This is true of cars as well. It wouldn't make sense to stroke/bore an engine, upgrade the exhaust and intake, and go with a stock size paper filter - it would kill any performance gains.

AJs bike has the Uni BBR unit... we use the No Toil cleaner and oil with it.

-Kerry

yea , thats what use too....my thing is that i did all of my mods over a perod of time. one at a time. so nothin was that noticeable.lol..except the bbk...im sure they all helped .......im sure you're cam and hi comp piston was the most noticeable you did as well...my take is most of these mods help support the built engiine...once you build it it all adds to the support of the bigger more powerful motor.....the ttr stock runs ok like it is really....also i was already running a uni stock size filter,...and it is of better quality than stock...but its too small . it gets dirty fast....and then really affects performance...i thougt about the k&n....they may even be better than the bbr.

Any opinions of 1 brand of filter better than another at keeping light dust out out where it belongs and not in the intake?

if you want a .stock replacement .....uni seems to be the most popular...i looked at my jets ill pm you.

Any opinions of 1 brand of filter better than another at keeping light dust out out where it belongs and not in the intake?

This is based on the K&N using the same gauze construction of their automotive filters... I do not own the K&N for the TTR nor have I ever used one for the motorcycles. I'm basing this strictly on my knowledge of the car filters.

Having said that, the high flow performance filters, the two stage foam filter (UNI/BBR) and gauze filter (K&N), use similar principles. The main preventive measure to stop dust is the oil that you place on the filter and the hope that the dust will collide with the oil on the filter. The fine dust is also halted by the finer media of the second stage of the foam filter and the finer mesh of the gauze filter deeper in the cartridge.

They are both designed to be free flowing (more air - larger spaces within the media and between), so there will be some fine dust that escapes them. More fine dust than a stock filter, I believe. I'd think the two performance filters would be pretty equal bets.

-Kerry

yea , thats what use too....my thing is that i did all of my mods over a perod of time. one at a time. so nothin was that noticeable.lol..except the bbk...im sure they all helped .......im sure you're cam and hi comp piston was the most noticeable you did as well...my take is most of these mods help support the built engiine...once you build it it all adds to the support of the bigger more powerful motor.....the ttr stock runs ok like it is really....also i was already running a uni stock size filter,...and it is of better quality than stock...but its too small . it gets dirty fast....and then really affects performance...i thougt about the k&n....they may even be better than the bbr.

The filter was after the flywheel, but before the engine work. We had already modified the air box seperately - and that was when we noticed the jetting needed help. I felt no real difference with the larger filter. AJ was thinking we'd wasted some dough. That's why I posted earler - let people know it's not that huge of a gain.

Would I keep or go back to the stock filter? No, just because I know that it is a restrictive point in the intake after the high comp and cam. It goes right along with my point that you don't hod rod a car just to put the stock air cleaner/filter back on. It'll also be that much more important with a new exhaust and 24mm carb.

Then again, perhaps I'm just lazy and don't feel like cleaning the filter? The larger filter lets AJ go a few rides before it needs to be looked at.:thumbsup:

I hear ya, John. The filter really doesn't "wake up" a stock engine that much.

-Kerry

The air box mod and a new K&N filter has really made a difference to my bike.:ride: I thought it wouldn't help that much, but it really does add much pep. It also makes the bike sound louder and deeper.:thumbsup: It is something worth spending your money on. Especially if you're going to put an aftermarket pipe on. Please leave a quick post if you have done this to your bike, and what you think about it. Also, post pictures if you have any.

What bike do u have? im looking for a K&N airfilter for my 06' TT-R230,but i cant fine one anywhere online.Anyone know which model K&N air filter i,d be able to put on my bike?