What causes a MX bike to shift horribley

well i have never really abused my clutch, (but mabey the guy before i owned it did) and to let you all know when i got to shift i am absolutley boddoming out the clutch lever on the handle bars, i is just does and go

I really don't think it's your clutch. But I'm not sure it's bent forks yet either. You say it shifts into first and second fine? Easy clicks, or big clunks that take some force on the lever? Does your clutch drag bad? Meaning, when the bike is warmed up, if you are in first gear, and have your clutch pulled all the way in, does the bike still try to pull forward pretty hard?

Have you adjusted your clutch cable? Is it in good shape?

I really don't think it's your clutch. But I'm not sure it's bent forks yet either. You say it shifts into first and second fine? Easy clicks, or big clunks that take some force on the lever? Does your clutch drag bad? Meaning, when the bike is warmed up, if you are in first gear, and have your clutch pulled all the way in, does the bike still try to pull forward pretty hard?

Have you adjusted your clutch cable? Is it in good shape?

the 3rd gear cause the most probs. yes, 1st and second are pertty good, 4th and 5th are also kinda good. the clutch does not drag at all (does that mean the clutch is not worn)

i adjust the cable today while riding. when you say that i mean turning that knob right beside the clutch lever, not sure if thats what you mean

From your OP, I'm trying to understand when this problem of shifting into 3rd gear actually comes into play? Can you sit at idle, and up shift into 3rd(and on that point, all gears?)

i have never tried it, but i think it will. it really gets toutchy when the rpms get mild to high range. like when i am practcsing my starts. (very hight rpm and heavy throttle application) it will not shift at..no matter how hard up pull on the lever, its just not gona happen.

before you go out and decided to change the entire clutch try these things first:

1) clutch cable, sometimes the clutch is fine its just that the cable is worn

2) springs, the clutch may work but the springs inside may be worn or faulty. replacing them will save you some big bucks

and if worst comes to worst just replace the clutch and be happy with your bike.

• Like 1

Berm-Saw, one more question. If you ride the bike calmly and run it through the gears, does it shift without any trouble??

i dont know havent tried it yet, i meant to try it today but i had no time because i was working all day and it is cold now. but i think it will:excuseme:

but.......if it shift through all gears smoothly what does that indicate

if not......what does that indicated

before you go out and decided to change the entire clutch try these things first:

1) clutch cable, sometimes the clutch is fine its just that the cable is worn

2) springs, the clutch may work but the springs inside may be worn or faulty. replacing them will save you some big bucks

and if worst comes to worst just replace the clutch and be happy with your bike.

i thought about the springs myself, i heard if they are worn out that can contribute to shift bad. but it just could be sooooooo maney different things that i dont which part to blame. the clutch or the tranney. any one know which one it is most likely to be? it also said something about seeing if the clutch plates and disks were in speck, sounds easy enoughf so i may do that.

i dont know havent tried it yet, i meant to try it today but i had no time because i was working all day and it is cold now. but i think it will:excuseme:

but.......if it shift through all gears smoothly what does that indicate

if not......what does that indicated

i will try the cheap things first, like starting with syn. oil and overfilling a bit

what syn. oil will work the best in the tranney?

I was just thinking that if one or more of the shift forks are bent or broken, then the problem shouldn't be intermittent.

The only thing to make certain of with the trans. oil is that is doesn't have friction modifiers (moly) in it. Those will make your clutch slip because the oil is too slick. Check the info from my '06 450R manual...

CRFTransOilp2.jpg

CRFTransOilp1.jpg

CRFTransOilp3.jpg

I was just thinking that if one or more of the shift forks are bent or broken, then the problem shouldn't be intermittent.

The only thing to make certain of with the trans. oil is that is doesn't have friction modifiers (moly) in it. Those will make your clutch slip because the oil is too slick. Check the info from my '06 450R manual...

CRFTransOilp2.jpg

CRFTransOilp1.jpg

CRFTransOilp3.jpg

well i know i am not using a oil with molley in the tranns:prof:

this may have something to do with it. when i bought my bike the tranns oil was milkey white which water got in i guess. this wears on the clutch plates doesent it, which may could be causing this....i think.?

but its not just the oil that is causing all the probs. i overfilled HP tranns oil and that worked the best, but still was not right.

thanks for the help so far everone, this is my time of need and i respect the info so much, because if i dont get dis straightned out in a month i can't race:cry: :ride::rant:?:mad::o:D?:bonk::eek:?