I popped my cherry today

The forecast was perfect, so I took today off and drove up to the Poconos (Lost Trails) to try out my new DRZ. This was my first off-road ride ever, and HOLY CRAP did I have fun. :thumbsup: I took it easy since I am a total noob (and don't have my pads yet - just some hockey elbow pads), but had a blast. Did all the easy trails and a couple intermediates (first time it was a wrong turn, but it was so fun I went back for more). The bike did great -- I was surprised at some of the stuff I could cruise through w/ no problems. It really soaked up the rough stuff -- and I haven't even set up the suspension yet. I did take a little fall, but it was cushioned by a knee-deep mud/water hole (hidden tree limb underneath) -- I consider it being baptized! :ride: Why the hell did I wait to do this until I was 35?! :rant:

154437300603_0_ALB.jpg

985037300603_0_ALB.jpg

Sounds like you're hooked!! Now you just need some gear and you'll be set.

Oh, and one question, you were riding a drz? I think this might get moved...

D'OH! Errant mouseclicking.... Move me... (I'm definately hooked! Pants are en route from TT, but I couldn't wait. Now that I've actually ridden, I can see the wisdom of a chest protector and am gonna pick on up this weekend.)

D'OH! Errant mouseclicking.... Move me... (I'm definately hooked! Pants are en route from TT, but I couldn't wait. Now that I've actually ridden, I can see the wisdom of a chest protector and am gonna pick on up this weekend.)

Helmet, Boots, Knee guards....you shouldn't :rant: without them

BTW, way to go! Great to have another enthusiast! :thumbsup::ride:

Welcome offroad. 35 - U have ben in the dark. Now that U C the light its good 2 have U here.

Great to hear that you enjoyed it so much. I also had a blast the first time i went out to the trails and left my streetbike at home. You just get a totally different kick out of it!

well... the title was thinking this belonged in the thumpett forum :thumbsup: im sucha perv:lol:

Helmet, Boots, Knee guards....you shouldn't :rant: without them

BTW, way to go! Great to have another enthusiast! :thumbsup::ride:

Believe, I'm getting everything -- and the way my arse feels today, some padded bike shorts will come in handy, too:excuseme:

Believe, I'm getting everything -- and the way my arse feels today, some padded bike shorts will come in handy, too:excuseme:

lol i guess you can get them... or get another seat :thumbsup:

The 35 Year Old Virgin...someone should write a screenplay based on that...naaahhh...a box office flop for sure.:thumbsup:

Don't feel too badly, I had to take a 10+ year hiatus from off-roading. Too busy changing diapers and buying more...if I'd just been smart enough to cut their food supply in half, I could've saved enough money to end that hiatus five years sooner! :ride:

Don't stress over waiting until you were 35, too many people never start.

Don't underestimate the value of a $50 set of aluminum bark busters.

*Find some experienced and faster off-roaders to ride with. Your skill level will increase rapidly.

glad to hear you had a good time. Stand up more and your tail end wont hurt as bad :thumbsup:

started riding in my 40's so don't feel bad. I'm totally hooked, why didn't I do this waaaay sooner

The forecast was perfect, so I took today off and drove up to the Poconos (Lost Trails) to try out my new DRZ. This was my first off-road ride ever, and HOLY CRAP did I have fun. :thumbsup: I took it easy since I am a total noob (and don't have my pads yet - just some hockey elbow pads), but had a blast. Did all the easy trails and a couple intermediates (first time it was a wrong turn, but it was so fun I went back for more). The bike did great -- I was surprised at some of the stuff I could cruise through w/ no problems. It really soaked up the rough stuff -- and I haven't even set up the suspension yet. I did take a little fall, but it was cushioned by a knee-deep mud/water hole (hidden tree limb underneath) -- I consider it being baptized! :ride: Why the hell did I wait to do this until I was 35?! :lol:

154437300603_0_ALB.jpg

985037300603_0_ALB.jpg

Hope you weren't riding alone:eek: Be careful, it's the time when youleast expect it when you bite it hard. Hate to hear you did it when no one was around to help out...just a word of wisdom! (I think):rant:

I know where you're coming from. I started riding on the street when I was 21 but didn't start riding in the dirt (aside from a few outings when I was a kid) until last year, at age 33. It's the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. If I had to choose between my street bike and my dirtbike, at this point I believe I'd choose to keep the dirt bike. Better yet...I may sell them both and get a kick a@@ dual purpose bike!

Welcome to your newest addiction.

I am a total noob (and don't have my pads yet - just some hockey elbow pads)

haha goon!!

nah im just kidding dude sounds like you had a blast!!

everyone starts sometime. I also didn't start until in my 40's. Only wish I started sooner:applause:

I'm too big a wuss to be a goon, but I do have my moments. :ride:

I topped off my gear on Saturday -- knee/shin pads & roost protector. I'm gonna stick with my goon elbow pads -- they have a lot better protection than the MX pads I saw in the store (and will work well if I ever get into a brawl w/ the atv'ers :thumbsup: ). MX pants are on the way from TT. The new dirt helmet and gogs already got a couple nice scratches in them from the overhanging trees, so that purchase already paid for itself. I think that's it for now. With the pants come case guards, rad guard and a skid plate, as well as a jet kit (though to be honest, I had no probs whatsoever with the bike). Now I just need some seat time!!! :rant::lol::mad: And I totally agree with the point about riding with experience people -- I'd even love to take some lessons, though I'm finding it hard to find any riding schools near me (except MX). Ideas welcome....

Ted

where in the poconos did you ride? (gimme somethin google map-able) lol.