Sign in to follow this  

how to get a kid interested

I purchased bikes for my son (8 yrs old) and I for Xmas. He thinks the bike is pretty cool, but doesn't really seem interested in riding it. When I was his age I would have killed for someone to have bought me a dirt bike or anything similar. I had to wait until 36 to get mine. He was almost glad when I broke my arm 2 monthes ago it seemed, cause then we would not be going to ride. I don't want to push him too hard... any ideas on how to make it more appealing to him. I am going to try an actual camping w/bikes trip soon. He says he wants to go camping. I am really at a loss that he did not like it more.

I took him to the Houston Supercross, after about an hr tops he was just playing in the seats basicly. We I mean I watch offroad and race videos too. like I said he thinks it is cool but not very interested in riding. I think it is sorta intimidating to him. He had a couple of falls and got some good bruises early on, which didnt help, but he was getting better at the riding thing right up until I hurt myself. Now when I finally got back on the bike and wanted him to come he would rather stay with his aunt.

You know,there we probably be a time when he comes around to it.I have Two boys 10 months apart from each other.The oldest one loves all sports and BMX,he has played baseball since he was 5 and is now 15.My youngest one,14 never liked ball and played one year and never played again.Couldn't force him too.They both like to ride but my 15 Y/o is off the hook and sometimes you have to grab him by the face mask and tell him were out here for a week (camping) and don't ruin everybody's trip.Now my 14 y/o is a very

safe and cautious rider,Doesn't jump or do off the hook things but no matter every time I look back he's always right there and even sometimes I'm too slow for him.He's come along ways and just took my 250X from his 230.Last weekend we were out at Johnsons valley and climbed (the one up to Hercules finger)this steep shale, lose rock, steep hill,I had worries about him or even attempting it.He had two get offs, the second one a rock bounced him off line and he got all Squirley hit a bigger rock and the bike jumped up on it's back wheel,well he hung on as long as he could off the seat and feet on the ground until the bike slingshoted out of his hands and took off up the hill.He can barley pick the X up but by the time I got down to him he had it up.Worst get off I've ever seen him have outside of doing a superman into cactus when he high sided off a goat trail at grey (almost dark) and stripping him down to get the nailed down riding gear off of him.His gloves were nailed to his hands.We had to start his bike and put it in gear and hold it up so he could get going cuz he couldn't sit down.Then my bonehead other son is blocking the trail when we finally got down the hill and made him fall over .He was pissed! He rode like 5 miles back to the house with no jacket ( I had two on) in the dark standing up on a bunch of lose softball size rock.When we got back to the house I had to pick Quills out from between his sack and butt cheeks.His little body was shivering in pain.

So what I'm trying to say is give it time and look forward to the things to come.:thumbsup:

jakeblues,

I feel your pain and I think there are a lot of parents that have encountered this situation. The Want Ads and e-bay are full of bikes for sale because someone's kid didn't like it.

What type of bike did you get him/you? What size is your boy? Do they match? Or is the bike too big?

Seems how you've already invested the $$$ in a bike (and probably helmet, clothes, trailer, etc) - I would keep it and keep trying to get him interested.

Try finding other families in your area that have kids his age that ride and enjoy riding. Having a peer might make him enjoy it. It's more fun to ride with friends than with Dad/Mom.

Try simple tasks that are easy for him to accomplish. That would bolster his confidence and increase his skill level.

Mimic a MSF course to build experiences:

- motorcycle safety do/dont's

- how to inspect the bike

- how to start a bike

- know that you will fall

- know how to fall

- know how to protect yourself when you do fall

- know how to lift a bike that has fallen

- know that it is OK when you fall

- know that Dad/Mom won't beat you because you fell

- how to start and STOP

- how to turn

- how to make a circle

- how to start/shift/stop

Keep it simple!

Avoid overly complicated riding environments -whoop-d-doo's, hills, etc might exceed his capbilites at this time. An area that is relatively flat would be good. Sandy areas would make it difficult.

More GOOD experiences for Jr = more confidence for Jr.

More confidence for Jr = more fun for Jr.

More fun for Jr = happy Dad.

Bottomline - everyone is an individual. What you like/enjoy is not necessarily what your kid will. As frustrating as that may be.

And if all of that fails - tell him that chicks really dig guys with bikes!

• Like 1

I wouldnt push him too hard. I have 3 kids. 2 girls and 1 boy. My boy is 11. He likes riding but not like I like riding. I live in an area that I can ride right out my front door. I rush home and tinker on my bike then head out for test rides. He comes home and wants to play video games. I have found the best way to get my son into riding is to find a place where he is comfortable. It is frustrating at times cause I wish he would go on longer rides with me and the rest of the family. He gets bored of it fast and then endures the ride instead of enjoying the ride. So now what I do is I take him to a place he is comfortable riding at. For instance there is some small tracks in the fields near my house. I will take him out there and he seems to enjoy just running laps. We went to jawbone canyon recently and he didnt seem to enjoy the trails we were going on. I built a little track in my camp and he never got off the bike the whole weekend. Just an idea. I am hoping he grows out of this and is willing to go explore. I think that may come when he gets a little bigger and his bike and ability are fast enough run with the bigger kids.

• Like 1

I bought him a CRF70. He is a very tall 8 yr old. That bike is actually a little small, but I didnt want to overwhelm him with the clutching of the 80. the places I have taken him to ride do have nice open areas for him to practice. I havent actually taken him on any trails yet because at the forest I think the trails would be too difficult for him and atCherokee Cycle Park it was his third time on the bike. I guess I just thought it would be easier cause he would be so stoked to have a motorcycle...silly me. I really cherish spending time with him and want him to have more fond memories of childhood. I am going to get him some things (bling) for his bike so we can work on his together, turn some wrenches. Maybe that will make him feel more connected to it.

• Like 1

Well, the real trick is to let it be "his" idea to ride. That way he "owns" the decision. We all like the ideas we come up with on our own best, even kids. If it's his idea, he'll be much more committed over the long haul. You said you'd kill to have bike at 8 years old (me too!), but remember that was (and is) your decision. I suggest stepping back one step so that in a few months you can take two steps forward (e.g. riding with your son).

I'd say park the bike away in the garage out of sight. Let him see how much fun you're having. Don't try to convince him or "sell" on the idea of riding, because right now it's your idea and not his. He may resist or show little interest the more you push, and that's just human nature. You may have to wait a while before he comes around. But when he does, he'll stick to it because he got to make the decision.

Today and tomorrow I'm going out riding with my 10 year old son. He only started late last fall. I waited until he pestered me about getting a dirt bike. And I couldn't be happier. My patience has paid off. Even so, it's no guarantee he'll like riding as my as I do. My goal at the end of each day's riding is for him to say "that was great, I want to do it again". Hang in there and think long term. One day you will be making the trek to the woods with your son too.

• Like 1

Well, the real trick is to let it be "his" idea to ride. That way he "owns" the decision. We all like the ideas we come up with on our own best, even kids. If it's his idea, he'll be much more committed over the long haul. You said you'd kill to have bike at 8 years old (me too!), but remember that was (and is) your decision. I suggest stepping back one step so that in a few months you can take two steps forward (e.g. riding with your son).

I'd say park the bike away in the garage out of sight. Let him see how much fun you're having. Don't try to convince him or "sell" on the idea of riding, because right now it's your idea and not his. He may resist or show little interest the more you push, and that's just human nature. You may have to wait a while before he comes around. But when he does, he'll stick to it because he got to make the decision.

Today and tomorrow I'm going out riding with my 10 year old son. He only started late last fall. I waited until he pestered me about getting a dirt bike. And I couldn't be happier. My patience has paid off. Even so, it's no guarantee he'll like riding as my as I do. My goal at the end of each day's riding is for him to say "that was great, I want to do it again". Hang in there and think long term. One day you will be making the trek to the woods with your son too.

Great post :thumbsup:

put the bikes in the back of the pickup and show up at his school to pick him up. once all his buddies see he has a bike, they will tell him how lucky he is and how they wish they had them. That may get him fired up.

• Like 1

Well i am a 16 year old kid, and i think maybe a kids perspective can help you out to, so here i go. When i was in gradeschool one of my friends had a dirtbike and he used to talk about it all the time, me and a lot of my friends thought it was kind of lame. I never actually went over and saw it though. Then getting closer to about freshman year all of my closer friends strted to get atvs. I wanted one so bad, but my parents wouldnt let me, eventually i talked them in to letting me get a dirtbike. They were clueless when it came to this sorta thing thogh so i had to do it myself. I got my first bike after about a month and i was hooked. I think one of the main factors that made it so appealing to me was my friends. You cant really buy your sons freinds bikes but maybe you can get them interested so that your son and his freinds all have something to talk about.

I also agree with some other posts, i think just giving it time will work. It did for me, i came around eventually and i am so glad i did. I started late but i know that dirtbikes are a part of my life now. Its something i will always be passionate about, i caught the bug, what can i say. I think if you keep dirtbikes around, your son will eventually catch it to.

I hope this helped, and i hope it wasnt pointless.

thanks

Jimmy

• Like 1

I purchased bikes for my son (8 yrs old) and I for Xmas. He thinks the bike is pretty cool, but doesn't really seem interested in riding it. When I was his age I would have killed for someone to have bought me a dirt bike or anything similar. I had to wait until 36 to get mine. He was almost glad when I broke my arm 2 monthes ago it seemed, cause then we would not be going to ride. I don't want to push him too hard... any ideas on how to make it more appealing to him. I am going to try an actual camping w/bikes trip soon. He says he wants to go camping. I am really at a loss that he did not like it more.

Buy him all the gear,if you havent already,he should like a good set of riding gear.

• Like 1

Try Mini Rider magazine. It is all about kids his age and they test ride bikes like the CRF70. Maybe he will be more interested when he reads how fun this sport can be, or about all the things he can do if he sticks with it.

• Like 1

my kid had the same interest at age 9, would rather play video games, just keep taking him out, if he only wants to ride a little then accept it and don't push for anymore seat time, camping is a real plus and as my son got older he liked riding more. he is 17 now and on a 250x (see pic) he just overheard me planning a day ride and asked if he could go. of course i said yes.

DSCN4313.jpg

pic of 2 years ago on a 20+ mi. ride (me and son)

DSC01905.jpg

as stated...camping is the way to go, then you can ride with the kids or faster with your older buds:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DSCN4306.jpg

• Like 1

when i started ridding around 7yrs old (now 22). I would rather ride my bicycle than my dirt bike. My dad knew this but he would make games. I thought that it was very fun then. I can remember when I could actually beat him in a drag race with my 86 zuki ds 80. Then would would see how high of wheelies we could pull off of small hills. Maybe go out ridding when it is really muddy I mean really muddy. I can remember before I was maintaining the bikes how much fun it was to get everything covered in mud. Then dad said if your gonna play you got to learn to fix, wash and most of all pay for stuff. I really started to like dirt bikes when I got good at ridding them.

• Like 1

maybe try taking him to a track. Sounds like he might be more of an MX kinda kid if he likes just pounding out laps. I would take him to a kids track and see how he likes that.

• Like 1

+++1 on jbusa 8...took my 8 yr old to a private track with another 8 yr old...neither one of them wanted to be Ricky Carmichael before getting there...30mins in to the ride they were racing each other around the track and then talking together about the lap(s) they just completed...then they rode together for the next two hours tryin to out do each others jumps...peer pressure can be a good thing...took my son out a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at his confidence even with us old guys...he was pushin us to find more trails...it was a great moment!!

• Like 1

I use to say i can handle peer pressure but not parent pressure. quote from my dad "you can climb that rock" as i fell off into some waist deep water. f-ing parent pressure.

My son who will be 8 in july rides a Polaris 50 atv for two years now. our friends have a son the same age he has a honda 50 they like to trade back and forth. A bike is definetly a little harder for him to ride but I dont push the issue. When he is ready he will go for it!

• Like 1