Sign in to follow this  

how to get a kid interested

Buy him all the gear,if you havent already,he should like a good set of riding gear.

First thing I did was get himfully outfitted. we have the same gear, you know to be like dad, boots, helmet, pants jersey, pads, the works. Only thig diff, he has a chest protector and I dont.

when i started ridding around 7yrs old (now 22). I would rather ride my bicycle than my dirt bike. My dad knew this but he would make games. I thought that it was very fun then. I can remember when I could actually beat him in a drag race with my 86 zuki ds 80. Then would would see how high of wheelies we could pull off of small hills. Maybe go out ridding when it is really muddy I mean really muddy. I can remember before I was maintaining the bikes how much fun it was to get everything covered in mud. Then dad said if your gonna play you got to learn to fix, wash and most of all pay for stuff. I really started to like dirt bikes when I got good at ridding them.

He does like playing in the mud, last time he went wwith me to SHNF, he spent about an hr riding through the same mud hole!

get him riding with some other kids. We go out to a big farm field and the kids will ride for hours in a huge circle. Take them one at a time and in 20 minutes they are ready to quit. Take them all and they never want to go home.

Get on the "where to ride" part of the site and post something up about wanting a riding budddy with kids to ride in your area.

• Like 1

Bought my son a 50 when he was 4 and then went out and watched him eat it a few times, he also lost interest. I just kind of gave up and decided that maybe it was not for everyone. He came around and got excited everytime I fired up the bikes to load them up. He never said anything just watched, I also Tivo the supercross season and let him know all of the riders names, of course he wants to be like Villapoto. Now all he wants to do is ride. He is now 7 going on 8 and I am so glad that I did not push him to ride. The only bad part is it is going to cost me a small fortune in gear and bikes to watch him continue.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bought my son a 50 when he was 4 and then went out and watched him eat it a few times, he also lost interest. I just kind of gave up and decided that maybe it was not for everyone. He came around and got excited everytime I fired up the bikes to load them up. He never said anything just watched, I also Tivo the supercross season and let him know all of the riders names, of course he wants to be like Villapoto. Now all he wants to do is ride. He is now 7 going on 8 and I am so glad that I did not push him to ride. The only bad part is it is going to cost me a small fortune in gear and bikes to watch him continue.:thumbsup:

Your a great parent for even thinking about it. I would have killed for anything with an engine!

• Like 1

Don't take this wrong but, as a parent we sometimes try and force things on our kids that WE want instead of what the kids want. I have seen this happen so many times. For instance, dad was a great baseball player so little Johnny must be a great baseball player. If you have tried everything with him why don't you sit down with him and ask him what HE likes. Ask him if he wants to go to classes to get used to the bike or if he even has an interest in motorcycles at all. Using friend peer pressure is not good. I know it is disappointing that he is not head over heels for the bike and riding but that happens. My suggestion is keep your bike and enjoy it and then find something you both enjoy together and do that together. Raising my kids we went through a lot of different activities until we found something that fit them. It was a blast to see them find that "thing" that made them happy. Good luck and just enjoy your son for whatever he likes doing

• Like 1

We do a lot together. Cub Scouts, movies, camping (once and again soon) video games etc. I really just wanteed something to get him a little more active. We tried sports, not really his thing. I just knew this would be the thing to get him excited. It is kinda intimidating to ride the bike for him. Maybe since he finally learned how to ride his bicycle during my down time the motorcycle will be a little easierfor him now. I am not pushing him that hard to do it, and I guess we have time to see if he comes around. I keep thinking that oncehe gets the hang of it (all he needs is to have the confidence in his own abilities) he might just enjoy it. Before I got hurt he was riding around the field pretty good. He would hold his feet up, but not get them on the pegs. Time will tell I guess. I am a single parent (widowed) and between work and all the other obligations..I feel guilty leaving him to go riding.

You sound like a good dad!! It must be tough to raise a child by yourself. Heck it is hard doing it with two!! Me and my son did the Scout thing. When he got into Boy Scouts we had a blast. Every weekend we were camping and doing some kind of outdoor activity all the way to Eagle Scout. Backpacking is a LOT of exercise!! My son showed no interest in motorcycles until he went to college!! Now we ride on the street together when he comes home. He doesn't like the dirt but can ride the curves on the street bike really well. Hang in there!!

jake, your kids gonna come around, he may be into his teens but he will catch on and when you are following him down some sweet single track it will bring a tear to your eye, i know:cry: :ride::rant::lol::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Have you taken him to a family enduro or a harescramble race for the kids?

Sounds like your approaching it the right way. Our clubs do this, all the event workers are always very help to make sure the kids have a good time. The kids get to meet other kids that like to ride and get to see what the other kids can do on a bike. Pretty soon they are saying "Bobby at the last race was really good. I bet I can do that too."

My son didn't start until he was almost 12.... I started when I was 40! That was five years ago!! Last year he took 2nd in our disticts 250B Harescramble class! Like someone said earlier.... "one day you wont be able to keep up anymore."

• Like 1

If he doesn't want to ride, you can't make him enjoy it. He'll only resent you. It's not fun for him to pretend that he likes it, and that sure won't be fun for you either. Maybe buy him a telescope. He'll be a famous scientist some day, and there's *nothing* wrong with that. Kids are individuals. None think the same way.

My kids told *me* that they wanted to ride. They were 8 and 11 yrs. old. They wanted to ride so bad it kept them up at night. Their grades weren't the greatest so I gave them goals to meet (I wanted all A's and B's), they met those goals and I bought them their bikes.

• Like 1

dont give up this early, just keep riding and inviting your son, no pressure but maybe sign him up for a short poker run in a year or two. someday he will like to go riding. he's only 8..... make a 5 year plan... 3 rides this year... camping twice next year.... etc....

I feel for you and understand what you are going through. 1st off don't push him or he will never want to ride. You sound like your very passionate about riding and trust me when i say he will come around. You need to start slow and ride with him in no pressure situations. Take him to some events like H/S or Pee Wee rides. Let him watch and don't bring his bike. The more he is around kids his age eventually he will come around. Sometimes the racing atmosphere can intimidate kids and they tend to believe that they cant live up to those standards. Is it possible that when you broke your arm that scared him? The best advice i can offer is to build his confidence a little bit at a time. Give him drills like cornering, braking, and shifting up and down. As he gets better at each one reward him and tell him what a great job he did. I have three kids that race and love riding and racing. My first experience was very similar to yours and within one year all he could think about was riding. He is now 13 and currently in the top 5 in his class. Be patient and keep us informed. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Update for any interested.

Well, about a week ago I took both bikes out to show them to my brother-in-law. ( at my great-nephew's birthday...he lives next door). Well to get the bikes home I had the boy ride it back to the shed. He was real shaky...had not riden it except once for five minutes since Feb when I injured my arm.

Well the good part was yesterday my mother was in town for my sons BD party and on the way home we were talking about the dirt bikes ( I had banged up my foot on the last ride, so the converwsation was why I liked it so much). So I mention that Ean doesn't like them much and hasn't really been on it in forever, he all of a sudden chimes in from the backseat of the truck "I'll ride it when we get home to show her!" Well sure enough he was reall shaky, but by the second time across the yard he is picking up speed just holding his feet up. After about an hour of that I suggested he start with one foot on the pegs. He did that pretty well, even started alternating which foot on the pegs on his own.

He even kicked the bike over on his own... just barely, but he did it!

After about 1.5 hr he was like thats enough, but he was smiling and said it was fun.

Oh, yeah for his BD he got a Joker bar pad, skidplate and a Billet red gas cap. We are gonna install the parts together. He got a bunch of other stuff too. It is gonna be his introduction to tools. We will see if he likes that!

Ive got 4 kids that all have ridden at some point. Some like it more then others. One of the things I have noticed in getting a kid interested in something is having his or her buddies involved. Tons of other kids out there riding as well with other families and what not. Its amazing what a confidence builder a Peer of the same age range can be.

• Like 1