Sign in to follow this  

Making My XR250R Street Legal Worth It?

I really want to get a street legal motorcycle, but I don't have the funds to get a new bike right now. I thought about getting a dual sport kit, speedometer, and street tires so I can ride with a buddy that just got a 600cc street bike. Obviously, I'm looking to go fast, but I do want to enjoy riding my bike anywhere I want. For those that made their 250's street legal, in your mind was it worth it?

My first bike was an old Yamaha 175 Enduro. It had about 15 hp. Riding on freeways was a freaky experience since the bike would barely do 65 mph.

Now, if you try to go up a hill on a freeway, find a big truck to follow so you don't get run over.

Otherwise, dual-sport bikes are fun. Make sure you can legally do it in OH. You no longer can in CA.

I've ridden my friend's dual-sported XR250R down in Baja on the road. Same deal, no problems until I hit a big hill, then I checked for cars in the rear view mirror and got ready to pull over.

I don't know what you guys are scared about because by the sound of i over in the US it must be deadly on the roads?

Over hear in Aussie my XR250 1998 is a dream to ride lol i love it because it has plenty of power. I have not met a hill yet that i cant ride up at full throttle and i usually have to back off since i am breaking the speed limit.

These bikes have plenty of power if you know how to use it trust me i bought my bike street legal already but if i didn't i definitly would have.

Hope you do m8 you wont regret it.

Matt

I will say that it wont be a good highway cruising bike, but with some good tires will be a lot of fun in some tight canyons. Also makes a good bike for riding around town.

I will say that it wont be a good highway cruising bike, but with some good tires will be a lot of fun in some tight canyons. Also makes a good bike for riding around town.

That is what I will be riding. It will see no highways. Here is where I question if it is worth it or not...

It is my only bike and off road is where it will be most of the time, where I want my Maxxis IT tires on it. When I take it on roads I will have to swap the tires. I do not want dual sport tires. I want motard type tires. I will need an extra set of rims to make the swap easier. Is it worth all this trouble?

Install all the road legal equipment,change your gearing,im running 14-42.go for it,its pure fun riding my XR all over the place,It cruises nice with the taller gearing.

That is what I will be riding. It will see no highways. Here is where I question if it is worth it or not...

It is my only bike and off road is where it will be most of the time, where I want my Maxxis IT tires on it. When I take it on roads I will have to swap the tires. I do not want dual sport tires. I want motard type tires. I will need an extra set of rims to make the swap easier. Is it worth all this trouble?

SM wheels are pricey, but will make the bike a lot more comfy to ride on the road.

SM wheels are pricey, but will make the bike a lot more comfy to ride on the road.

Get another set of OEM wheels for $50ish and get the biggest street tires that will fit on them. Will give you 75% (or something) of SM at 5% of the cost. :thumbsup:

Don't rev it to high on long stretches. I run a 14/48 on my 250R with a 280 kit and after about 55-57 mph it is just revving high and beating the valves up. Great on the regular roads but freeway is a bit scary only running around 55. Geared right it will be OK but not as good as an L model with a wide ratio gearbox.

Check your oil everyday if you run it up about 55 or more. High revs cause the oil to foam a bit and it blows out the crankcase vent.

Also keep your valves adjusted often, it is the best indicator of their condition. If one gets tight really quick it is a sign of a future valve job.