IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel. Which side of the little stub does the speedo thing go on?

I changed my tires for the first time on my motorcycle and I didn't notice the stub next to the speedo cable housing when I took off the front wheel. When I was putting it back on I noticed that the little stub on the speedo cable side of the fork can be possibly on one or the other side of a protrusion on the speedo housing. I am not sure how to describe exactly what I am talking about but I am sure someone will be familiar with the stub.

It seems to fit best with speedo assembly protrusion located on the front side of the stub farthest away from the rear wheel. But it seems like it makes more sense to have it located behind the stub since the wheel rotation would push it into the stub and keep it in place while being in front of the stub would tend to pull it away from the stub.

thanks for any help.

It has been some time since I used the speedo drive but if memory serves, the housing sits towards the back of the nub. That way centrifugal motion can't twist it forward. Someone will have a positive answer I'm sure. I just don't have mine to compare with....

It goes in front ,if you put it behind it will bind the forks when you torque the axle , do a search its been bought up before it solved my front end wobble when i was runing s wheels :thumbsup:

Correctly installed speedometer gear (notice the cable is pointing up):

correct.jpg

Incorrectly installed speedometer gear, notice the cable is pointing to the rear, behind the fork. (found this picture in less than a minute looking through random DRZ pics):

100_0121Small.jpg

Correctly installed gear, looking from the front:

ThewayitshouldbeSmall.jpg

Incorrectly installed gear, shows the clearance created by the plastic hitting the fork. The housing will deform when you tighten up the axle so it won't be visible but it won't seat on the metal spacer correctly:

ThewayitwasSmall.jpg

Should help you out.

The factory E manual clearly shows the odometer/speedo tab behind the fork tab.....for some unknown reason it is opposite on the S.....

on the sm it goes in the front of the fork stub.if you put it behind,the cable bends too much.

on the sm it goes in the front of the fork stub.if you put it behind,the cable bends too much.

Differing forks.........still not sure why the S and E would be different, but manuals seem to direct two directions

The torque from the wheel spindle will stop it moving, if it doesnt something is lose or broken! so Id' put it where it fits best, ive got an E Kicker, it was behind the tab but I couldnt change the cable with it there (no clearance) so its now in front and works just fine!

Dan

Behind the tab for the E S & K, in-front for the SM.

And a search would have given the OP the answer, many times over.

Neil. :thumbsup::mad::o

oh oh, neil you know what happens when we get on this subject...

my tools come out again! :ride::rant::lol:

It goes in front ,if you put it behind it will bind the forks when you torque the axle , do a search its been bought up before it solved my front end wobble when i was runing s wheels :thumbsup:

as mentioned the nub prevents forward motion and goes behind the stop,, many seem to have great issue. I ran the same cable on my S for 40,000 mile without issue.

It seems the ones who always has failure of cables mount it in front of the stop, its a perfect fit and doesnt bind if done right

Neil. :thumbsup::mad::o

Your obviously better at searching than me Neil!! :D:lol: All I can find is differing opinions! :ride:

Why should it be different on differend models? :rant:

Dan

I am surprised nobody has said this.....but whether or not you have it above or below the stopper, the most important thing you need to do is to correctly torque the clamp bolts and axle bolt.......this will elimnate (in most cases) S/S wobble, movement of the speedo, and head shake.

This is all IMO, and i change wheels (dirt/SM) 8-10 times a season.....

Neil. :thumbsup::rant::lol:

Which means the picture referenced as being right a few posts above is wrong and the one quoted as being wrong is actually right :ride:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6262572#post6262572 Second bike is smcalpac's BTW.

I was curious so I went ahead and swapped the tab location....put the odometer tab in front of the fork tab...and it does, at least from a visual perspective, look like it fits better? better routing of the cable and seems to reduce the large loop of cable?.....

I agree....after searching ...I also found nothing but differing opinions on the subject.

This is second to a "what oil is best" post!:thumbsup: