Hot grips for DR650

what size handlebars are on the DR 650?

I want to install some hotgrips but I have no idea which size to get

This is for a 2008 DR650 I just bought for my wife

DR bars are a normal 7/8 in... and you don't need to buy special grips if you don't want... I used Polaris atv handwarmers (pt# 2875344) and normal grips

thanks

i appreciate your response

:thumbsup:

Pretty much every bar on every motorcycle is 22mm where the grips are. The only difference is the area where the bar mounts to the triple clamps - this can be 28mm for example. Thus the name of the brand "Pro Taper", they were among the first to use this construction style.

The grips will very likely be two different ID sizes, probably 22mm and 24mm. This is to accomodate the throttle tube on the right.

As far as grip heater go, Symtec has an awesome dual element product. It is also sold under other brands (Dual Star,....) but cheapest if bought directly - $27!

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=CST/PROD/heated_grips/16025

Don't forget to isolate the bar on the left before glueing the grip on, otherwise the bar will act as a heat sink and the right grip will be hotter. High temp electrical tape or some other heat reflective tape will work.

Lukas

I used the Dual Star set and I love them. They have been on about 2 1/2 years and I use them every week. Back then someone recommended isolating the non throttle side with 1" heat shrink tubing and that worked really well. It is hell to get the grip off of the throttle side. I had to razor blade it off in pieces.

Nathan

I'll second LucasM's suggestion. $27 gets you grip elements with different wattages, so that the throttle side more closely matches the clutch side. Also comes with a nice round, flush mount, rocker switch. This way you can use which ever grips you want. Be sure you insulate the clutch side to avoid the heat sink action that's been mentioned.

Now for a partial hijack. Like an idiot I did'nt insulate my bars. Can anybody suggest a way to remove the element and reapply it so that I can throw some heat shrink on?

Sometimes it's my job to serve as a warning to others.:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Ron

I'll second LucasM's suggestion. $27 gets you grip elements with different wattages, so that the throttle side more closely matches the clutch side.

Just to clarify, the elements are the same wattage on both sides. There are two elements on each side pad for two heat settings. Some other brands only have one element and offer a different heat setting by switching in a resistor. The latter is a bad way to do it as you will always have full draw on your charging system and the energy will be lost through the heating of the resistor (which you have to place carefully so it doesn't touch anything and you can't burn yourself).

Regarding removing the grip, did you glue it on and if so what did you use? With grip glue you will have a hard time as it normally vulcanizes the grip to whatever it touches (in your case the heating element). You could try an exacto knife to slowly carve it off.

I normally don't even use glue if I install grips over heated pads. If you isolate the handlebar, they will be very tight. Then you can use some hair spray to make sliding them on easier and when it dries it also gets very sticky so the grip doesn't turn. You can still remove the grips this way - fairly easy if you blast some compressed air under them.

I used to put on safety wire on as well but found that I don't even need it with the above method.

Hope this helps,

Lukas

My bad, I guess I assumed different wattages since they are labeled specifically for clutch and throttle. As far removing the grips, I used hairspray so taking them off is not an issue. I need to remove the heating element from the bar on the clutch side so that I can put heat shrink under it, which I should have done in the first place. Is it possible to remove it with out destroying the element?

Ron

For what it's worth, the heated grips for the V-Strom will work on the DR with some minor modification to the wiring.

I need to remove the heating element from the bar on the clutch side so that I can put heat shrink under it, which I should have done in the first place. Is it possible to remove it with out destroying the element?

Ron,

That shouldn't be a problem, the glue that is on the heated pads really doesn't stick that well in my experience.

I removed my clutch side pad when I switched to the DR 350 carb-mounted choke, as the stock one completely wraps around the left end of the handlebar.