Got spark, got gas but no starty-start!

2005 TC250, electric start. Ran fine before I put it away for the winter with good gas and Sta Bil. Now it won't start. I've got great spark and there is gas getting to the cylinder as evidenced by the darn thing fouling the cylinder with so much gas I have to take the plug out to let the piston spit the gas out!!:thumbsup:

So what's the deal here? Do I need to drain the gas and try good, fresh stuff or what?

Should I find a big long hill and try to jump start it down it ?

gas/air and spark in the proper proportions is the magic recipe!! start with new gas,use some carb cleaner spray on the jets in the carb( clean the bowl/floats/etc while your in there) clean and reoil your air filter, put a new plug in it,and pat it on the seat a couple of times,say a few nice things to your bike that you have ignored all winter,and i bet she will start up and purr for you!!

Is there a way to drain the carb without taking it off the bike and removing the float bowl? On Jap. bikes there's a screw to drain it but I don't see that on this husky.

Sound like you might have some gas /fuel mix in the crank. a long bum start would clear it or you'll have to tip you ride upside down to clear it.

Good luck and let us know the out come.:thumbsup:

Is there a way to drain the carb without taking it off the bike and removing the float bowl? On Jap. bikes there's a screw to drain it but I don't see that on this husky.

If it is a Keihin - yes there is a screw at the bottom. Allen head.

Loosen the screw and fuel will come out.

You may want to put that in a jar as opposed to the garage floor.

If it is not a Keihin I'm not sure it has the drain screw.

Mine had the same thing going on... just chugging away on the starter, but no firing, pulled the plug.. all wet, but good spark, so I cleaned it up. Tried again- no firing. Pop a couple of sprays of starting fluid into the air box, fired right up and died, sprayed again and she took off and stayed running. DO NOT KEEP THE MOTOR RUNNING WITH THIS STUFF! Use it to start only. Tried starting again the next night...started just fine.... no starting fluid needed.

2005 TC250, electric start. Ran fine before I put it away for the winter with good gas and Sta Bil. Now it won't start. I've got great spark and there is gas getting to the cylinder as evidenced by the darn thing fouling the cylinder with so much gas I have to take the plug out to let the piston spit the gas out!!:thumbsup:

So what's the deal here? Do I need to drain the gas and try good, fresh stuff or what?

Should I find a big long hill and try to jump start it down it ?

If you don't do it right it will bite you in the butt. Pull the tank, loosen the carb clamps front and rear. Rotate the carb to the right side, remove the top of carb, 3mm allen, remove the float bowl also 3mm allen, with bowl off count the turns on the fuel mixture screw write it down, inside is a spring tiny washer and tiny o-ring dont loose them, IF inside the float bowl you see green or a yellowish color you have a crop of alge growing. If so pull the carb off, Don't try to horse it out or you can tear the intake manifold,remove rocker cover breather, remove silencer, mid pipe bolt, top subframe bolt and loosen lower ones. Push subframe down so intake hose comes off the bell of carb, remove throttle cables.

With carb off remove all the jets go to auto parts store and get some Deisel fuel injection cleaner quart bottle, use a coffee can put all carb parts in it let it soak for couple hours. Pull the parts out then another coffee can with hot hot water rinse carb off then carb spray, and air source to blow dry and blow out all passages reassemble it put it back on. With tank off dump old gas out start with fresh gas.

When you go to start it use jumper cables from car so don't kill the battery. Usually have to wot 5-10 times to get things going.

If you don't kill the alge it will keep growing and ruin the carb. Have to do this several times a week when riding season comes around. Thier is no easy way or short cuts something that has to be done. Later George

George - does the 2005 tc250 have a Keihin? What starts the algae growing?

George - does the 2005 tc250 have a Keihin? What starts the algae growing?

Yes on the Keihin,

Used to be when gas went bad it would leave a varnish gooky looking gunk residue. What is happening today is with all the emmissions chemicals that are used in the gasoline it creates moisture or attracts moisture especially when alcohol and methonal are used in them. In diesel engined trucks use Diesel Booster this kills the alge because of the amount of water in Diesel fuel.

Alcohol is so bad that when an indy car finished a race the motor would have to be purged with race gasoline before it is shipped to the rebuild shop. Rebuild it dyno it on alcohol purge it with gas then ship it.

Going to be interesting in the future as to how it will affect the FI systems on these bikes with the gas we have here. Later George

Ok new gas in tank and carb and new plug and NOTHING!! THis stupid piece o crap bike is pissing me off.

I even took it to a long hill and tried bump starting it rolling and with the help of a truck getting me up to 25 mph. Tried with choke on and off and not even a semblance of it wanting to start.

I did find the cylinder filled with fuel as evidenced by me turning the bike over when I take the plug out. POOOSH, a big waft of gas is expelled!!! What gives?

mike have you taken the carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly yet,or are you trying to skip that part and hope that it will clean itself?? the gas has to run into the engine in the proper amounts at the correct times, mixed with air and spark in order for this thing to spark to life and stay running. don't try to short cut it, bikes always love a good carb cleaning every spring. they will reward you by running crisp and clean all season long! now get of the putor and out to the garage and do it! ps: report back as individual results may vary.

ok , ok I'll do the deed and take the carb apart to clean it up. AAagh, this sucks. I've never had to do this to a mc before to get it to start after sitting for a few months. tempermental exotic bike. I think I might have to get me a Cannondale!

I'll report back.

make sure you remove all the jets and spray them out with carb cleaner,and let us know how or if this solves your problems.

ok , ok I'll do the deed and take the carb apart to clean it up. AAagh, this sucks. I've never had to do this to a mc before to get it to start after sitting for a few months. tempermental exotic bike. I think I might have to get me a Cannondale!

I'll report back.

Its not the bike, its the fuel, going bad in as little as 3 weeks in NJ. It SUCKS!!!!

Did you drain the carb before storing it? Doesn't sound like it,,,

I'll report back.

Happened on my kids XR100 all the time until we started using Stabil. Now we take a small loan out from the bank (joke), buy 5 gallons of "super" unleaded, put in some stabil and it's good for over a year... if Stabil can fix California fuel it can fix any fuel.

Mike, remember its not the bike, its the fuel, if my bikes sit for over 2 weeks, I'll drain the tank and the carb and run that fuel in my car, every time I put my dirt bikes in the garage I drain the float bowl, the ethanol attracts moisture and evaporates. My lawn mower will start after a month or 2 but that has got like 8 to 1 compression, and its not near as much fun to ride. Mike

yeah that's why I'm hesitant to pull the carb apart. I've never had problems with bikes restarting after a few months of being stored with sta-bil and good premium.

tempermental exotic bike.

:thumbsup::ride::rant::lol::mad::o

- Jeremy, you catch this thread yet?

yeah that's why I'm hesitant to pull the carb apart. I've never had problems with bikes restarting after a few months of being stored with sta-bil and good premium.

I missed the stabil in your first post - sorry.

I'm done.

Laugh all you want Kelly.

Then you can laugh some more while I'm fitzin with my carb on the trail tomorrow!

Bad gas sucks (just ask my wife!).