Sign in to follow this  

How do you guys like your 450Xs?

Currently have a 1997 XR400. I would like to eventually get into the 450X, but I keep hearing about all these rebuilds and valve adjustments. Should I be scared? What do you like best about the bike and what should I be aware of? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1399.jpg

Awsome bike, the valves are no big deal. The worse that can happen is you put stainless in there. After that the bike is basically bulletproof. I love my X I just wish it was lighter

Well do not be scared of the x i have an 05 with all r upgrades wire clipped i ran two full race season on top end i kept track of all miles and had 2300 on origional engine. Put a scotts damper on brp riser do the suspinsion for your weight and let r eat. I only had the vales adjusted 3 times before replacing in 2300 mi still on original front brakes and just put 2nd set of rear pads on 3 air filters 1 spark plug 6 rear tires 6 front tires. put seal savers on i still have original fork seals even after the re spring and vavle job in forks. i have had best luck with running the suspinsion set at all stock postions can jump as well as 450r on doubles and triples. still have origional battery. also had sprokets and chain all with 2300 mi. kick stand seems to loosen easily. I put ti valves back in do not need stainless in my opinion. also put new throlltle tube on wore the original out. :ride: does get a little heavey in a harescramble but in an enduro shes fine . it loves to fly also. run 1 full bottle of tranny oil every time no exceptions still on 1st clucth gearing is 13 52 on mine good luck have fun c ya :thumbsup:

Coming from a XR 600, I felt more comfotable X than any other bike that I had ridden to this point. As for the meintenance issues, there aren't any. But if your are unsure but a KTM.:thumbsup:

Well do not be scared of the x i have an 05 with all r upgrades wire clipped i ran two full race season on top end i kept track of all miles and had 2300 on origional engine. Put a scotts damper on brp riser do the suspinsion for your weight and let r eat. I only had the vales adjusted 3 times before replacing in 2300 mi still on original front brakes and just put 2nd set of rear pads on 3 air filters 1 spark plug 6 rear tires 6 front tires. put seal savers on i still have original fork seals even after the re spring and vavle job in forks. i have had best luck with running the suspinsion set at all stock postions can jump as well as 450r on doubles and triples. still have origional battery. also had sprokets and chain all with 2300 mi. kick stand seems to loosen easily. I put ti valves back in do not need stainless in my opinion. also put new throlltle tube on wore the original out. :ride: does get a little heavey in a harescramble but in an enduro shes fine . it loves to fly also. run 1 full bottle of tranny oil every time no exceptions still on 1st clucth gearing is 13 52 on mine good luck have fun c ya :thumbsup:

That's a great run down of how your bike has held up. Thanks! I've only just begun my relationship with my 450X (2 months and 20 miles). I hope to get similar results... perhaps more due to lack of racing in my future!

Currently have a 1997 XR400. I would like to eventually get into the 450X, but I keep hearing about all these rebuilds and valve adjustments. Should I be scared? What do you like best about the bike and what should I be aware of? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1399.jpg

I can relate Q2, I had an 01 XR400 which I loved. I could do anything on that bike. I came across a deal on an 05 450X and jumped on it. I did all the recommended mods and got in a few rides. I bought the bike in Jan so I had time to mod it up. I checked the valve and they were spot on. When I finally got out I discovered what all the fuss is over this bike. Its an animal. I found myself having a hard time taming the power and started to have buyers remorse. I still had the 400 and started to ask myself if I wanted to go back. Then I went to a friends place with both the XR and CRF for a side by side ride. As soon as I got back on the XR I realized it was no mistake. The CRF is light years ahead of the XR.

On a side note though, the power curve on the XR is so much more tame and is so much easier to ride in the really tight slow rough terrain.

No regrets on the CRF purchase, it just takes getting use to from the 400. I like it more every time I go out, which isn't enough BTW.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I could not be happier. Get the X.

agreed.

what valve problem? i'm at 100 hours and have not needed to adjust the original valves.

this bike rips :thumbsup:

From what I have read and heard, the 450X is more durable when it comes to valves than the 450R, 250R, and 250X.

Also, I love my 450X. It's the only bike that has satisfied me after getting rid of my XR500R (Which was a massive tank in comparison)

I bought a new '05 450X in Sept. 2005, and loved it. But I decided to sell it in 06 so I would not have to make payments anymore. I thought the 91 Husaberg 350 would meet my needs, and got it for $1000. The power was good, and it did good on the trails. Then I rode my uncles 250X on the same day as the Husaberg. Less power of course, but it reminded me of the amazing difference in suspension. I immediately bought a leftover '06 450X in 2007.

In summary, you want it.

From what I have read and heard, the 450X is more durable when it comes to valves than the 450R, 250R, and 250X.

Also, I love my 450X. It's the only bike that has satisfied me after getting rid of my XR500R (Which was a massive tank in comparison)

I bought a new '05 450X in Sept. 2005, and loved it. But I decided to sell it in 06 so I would not have to make payments anymore. I thought the 91 Husaberg 350 would meet my needs, and got it for $1000. The power was good, and it did good on the trails. Then I rode my uncles 250X on the same day as the Husaberg. Less power of course, but it reminded me of the amazing difference in suspension. I immediately bought a leftover '06 450X in 2007.

In summary, you want it.

I had one of those. It was a plated 84 XR500R, man that thing was a heavy and hard to ride on tight single track. I wish i still had it along side my X.

Yeah mine was an '83. Was not plated but I snuck it onto the blacktop once in a while. The first time I rode it, it brought tears to my eyes and a huge "holyS:censored:" grin to my face. Might have been the wind, but the torque was impressive coming from my 1979 XL185 S

I have had both bikes...the X makes the 400 look like a kids bike. The bike has power everywhere. Just plain rips.

HP for an XR 400 is close to 28-30. The X is 45-48 and you can feel it.

I'd try to hosey a test ride from a friend first if the power concerns you.

Otherwise it's a great bike and you'll be happy.

I can`t wait to ride mine the trails are`nt open yet and I don`t have private property to ride on except around the house and down the street. LOL so I`ll get back to ya on that but I`m sure you`ll like it so good riding to ya...