Sign in to follow this  

Tank swap? will the plastic E fit an S?

i tried searching and found nada.

so, will a fuel tank from a drz-e (plastic) fit on a drz-s?

Yes it can be done ( I have the IMS 2.6GNCC tank for E on my S) but you have to fab a "T" bracket for the rear of the tank out of aluminum and order#3 in the diagram with the hardware to mount the tank. You also need to relocate the horn (this is where bracket #3 mounts) and loose the fan or go to a slim computer fan.

fuel_tank.jpg

Yes it can be done ( I have the IMS 2.6GNCC tank for E on my S) but you have to fab a "T" bracket for the rear of the tank out of aluminum and order#3 in the diagram with the hardware to mount the tank. You also need to relocate the horn (this is where bracket #3 mounts) and loose the fan or go to a slim computer fan.

fuel_tank.jpg

Be aware that two (2) #3 mounting brackets are used with the E tank. You'll also need #18 to hold the rear of the tank. Not sure what mounting the S/SM uses so you may have to improvise some.

Be aware that two (2) #3 mounting brackets are used with the E tank. You'll also need #18 to hold the rear of the tank. Not sure what mounting the S/SM uses so you may have to improvise some.

You actually do not need #18 to adapt the E tank on the S. Eddie posted a neat pic of how to secure the rear of the E tank on a S frame by simply using two small metal strips a while ago but I can't seem to find it.

Each strip is held in place by the bolt that was used to secure the rear of the S tank to the S frame on one end and by the E tank screw #19 on the other.

The setup looks like an inverted V and I think accomplishes the exact same task as smpapish's T bracket but with little to no fabrication.

You actually do not need #18 to adapt the E tank on the S. Eddie posted a neat pic of how to secure the rear of the E tank on a S frame by simply using two small metal strips a while ago but I can't seem to find it.

I stand corrected...

Each strip is held in place by the bolt that was used to secure the rear of the S tank to the S frame on one end and by the E tank screw #19 on the other.

The setup looks like an inverted V and I think accomplishes the exact same task as smpapish's T bracket but with little to no fabrication.

Sounds like a plan, and a solution.:thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=39062

kinda like this.