Sign in to follow this  

Emig Stabilizer for your review Rock Jockey

171721261.jpg

171721331.jpg

171725021.jpg

171721491.jpg

It took 3 months after payment to get these parts. The post was too tall and had too be sent back and shortened. The stabilizer arm made contact with the CRF stem, so I had to shim the stabilizer. As you can see there is no room now between stem and stabilizer. Also no room between stabilizer and bar. The 3" bar mounts are great for tall guys, maybe I'll stand more on the pegs with these bar mounts. At 47 years old, seat riding and good suspension is a must. This is my first stabilizer in 39 years of riding, so it will take some getting used to. Throttle cables for the Mikuni pumper had to be routed underneath bars otherwise not enough slack with 3 inch bar mounts. It's a nice setup, but worth the $550? Not sure...

That looks killer, it looks tight in there, I think I will cut the top of the stem off flush with the nut. Having the stabilizer you will notice less fatigue in the shoulder area due to not fighting the side to side movement. I've been talking with Emig about this and yours must be the one they told me they were working on getting a fitment established for. Just got my 17in Excel/Rad SuMo wheels and FCR41 for the hooligan 650L this week. the Stabilizer is next on the list.

It screws into the frame? What does an oil change consist of now?

Loosen the bar clamps, remove stabilzer, remove post, unscrew oil filler neck plug, change oil. It adds 10 minuites to the oil change. Since it's an XR, I don't worry about checking oil between oil changes.

That's a nice looking unit but the price seems a little steep. I thought long and hard before I chose which brand to get. Read every thread and review I could find and finally decided on the Scotts. It was $427.00 from ThumperTalk and was delivered 3 days after it was ordered. After using it and seeing what some people have to say about the other brands I know I made the right choice. Like they say, "The original and still the best".:thumbsup:

That's true and I did not mean to sound like I'm complaining. Emig does good work, you just have to be patient when waiting on parts. I'm going to trim that stem with a very fine cutting blade and remove the stabilizer shims. I don't like how tight those tolerences are and I need to open them up a bit.

I don't know about you but I think it's BS to have to modify after market parts to make them fit. But that's just me. When I got mine it took less than 15 minutes to read the instructions and have it installed and ready to go. But for that kind of money, that's what I expect.

Yea, Emig does nice work. He's pretty cranky on the phone though. I asked if he was going to make a few more parts for the XR4, but he seems reluctant to invest much time for the XR4 parts. If anybody talks to him, pass the word that there's still a demand for them.

Hey guys i am just curious about these stabilizer's as i have seen them around and then seen the price and i am trying to get my head around how they work and do what they are meant to for the countless dollars. Any information on the matter as i have absolutely no clue how they work?

Thanks

Matt

That's true and I did not mean to sound like I'm complaining. Emig does good work, you just have to be patient when waiting on parts. I'm going to trim that stem with a very fine cutting blade and remove the stabilizer shims. I don't like how tight those tolerences are and I need to open them up a bit.

Norge, FYI i used one of his conversion stems for my 650L to swap to CRF 450 forks. Stem was too long and hit the nut on my Scotts stabilizer, same as yours. I had to shorten it 5mm and add a washer under the bar mounts.

Also, the sleeve that he sells is too short to by 4mm. I called and asked him to make another and he charged me $40.

BP

I don't know about you but I think it's BS to have to modify after market parts to make them fit. But that's just me.

the problem that he is running into is that he is trying to adapt a steering stabilizer designed for the forks and connect it to a different bike. different clamps, different angles. I want to get a scotts dampner this summer, and still trying to figure out how to mount it because of the USD conversion then being able to connect it to the bike.

Norge, FYI i used one of his conversion stems for my 650L to swap to CRF 450 forks. Stem was too long and hit the nut on my Scotts stabilizer, same as yours. I had to shorten it 5mm and add a washer under the bar mounts.

Also, the sleeve that he sells is too short to by 4mm. I called and asked him to make another and he charged me $40.

BP

It's works great, the Emig stabilizer is very nice. I did remove a couple of stem threads and the sleeve for the XR400 does fit like it should. I'm still getting used to the 3 inch bar mounts, great for standing but a little tall when sitting.

I really, really hate to say that eastern enduro riders like LLPeteJ and Rudder were right, but if you do mostly trails then save your money and stick to re-valved and re-sprung OEM conventional forks.

I had these CR forks re-valved and re-sprung for my kind of riding. They are great for whoop sections and fast stuff, but they did not make any improvement in slow, nasty trail riding. I actually prefer my XR forks for the trail stuff.

So was it worth the $850 I spent for the stem, t-clamps, sleeve, bar mounts and re-valve/re-spring? (forks were free, and I would have bought a stabilizer anyway) No, it was not worth it. If you do a lot of high speed riding and moto, then it is probably worth the cost. Just my opinion.....

the problem that he is running into is that he is trying to adapt a steering stabilizer designed for the forks and connect it to a different bike. different clamps, different angles. I want to get a scotts dampner this summer, and still trying to figure out how to mount it because of the USD conversion then being able to connect it to the bike.

Alex, someone else on this forum had USD forks with a Scotts. Trying to remember who that was? I believe he had welded the stabilizer stem just behind the oil filler neck, so he was probably using the stock tank. If I can remember his name, I will forward it to you.

Very Sweet! I really like the triples, Emig huh.

Hmmmmmmmmm you have my wheels spinning again.

So hows the performance, rock solid I would bet.

Know you can run the desert WFO, Very Very Nice!

Alex, someone else on this forum had USD forks with a Scotts. Trying to remember who that was? I believe he had welded the stabilizer stem just behind the oil filler neck, so he was probably using the stock tank. If I can remember his name, I will forward it to you.

Alright thanks! That would be nice.

As far as the forks go, mine had been resprung and revalved my TBT and they are amazing forks. To me they feel better than the stocks in the trails by far, except for a slight loss in turning radius *I plan to remedy the problem with a clarke tank.* I bought them rebuilt already, they just needed seals. I also through on some Tusk seal savers and they work great!

I was also curious as to if the clamp on post that goes on the oil fill could be turn around and possibly be far enough back for the Scotts dampner?

I used the Scotts on my 440 with the oil filler post.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=10631