Sign in to follow this  

What do i need to put on a heavier flywheel weight?

Hey everyone, i am planning on buying a heavier flywheel weight for my YZ250F 2005 model.

I am looking at purchasing from the thumpertalk store.

At the moment i have the, FLYWHL WGT 13/OZ YZ250F MSR on order.

What do i need to change over the flywheel weight? Is it hard to do? can it be done in most home sheds?

So yea if someone could just tell me what tools i need to also purchase that would be great!

also is it normal for the cheapest shipping to be $107 to australia :thumbsup:

You need an impact wrench and a flywheel puller. I used a little cordless one. The fly wheel puller looks like a wierd socket thing. A bike shop can zip it off and on in a few minutes if you get the other stuff out of the way first. Don't know anything about shipping. Good luck. Its not hard.

You need an impact wrench and a flywheel puller. I used a little cordless one. The fly wheel puller looks like a wierd socket thing. A bike shop can zip it off and on in a few minutes if you get the other stuff out of the way first. Don't know anything about shipping. Good luck. Its not hard.

Which flywheel puller should i purchase from the TT Store?

I am confused!

Also is it in the manual on how to put the flywheel weight on?

does it come with instructions?

Do you need to split the engine open?

I am a little confused.

no need to split the cases. Just purchase any puller that fits your machine or have the local shop zip it off. I assume the flywheel weight your referring to is actually a whole new flywheel? If so, things should be as easy as take the old one off and put the new one on. If its a weight that you install onto the flywheel, I have no idea but sure someone will chime in here. If you don't get any help, let us know when you get the parts in and I'm sure folks can help further then.....let us know

Chad

Moty,

Don't sweat it the installation is very easy. Generally some well worded instructions come with the weight. The flywheel goes under the side cover that is on the shifter side. If its just a weight then you don't usually have to remove the flywheel. It just bolts on to the outside.

what you need:

- side cover gasket (maybe if you tear the one thats on there. I did.)

Heres the rough steps:

1. drain oil & take off shifter

2. undo case screws and remove side cover.

3. possibly take off stator. Don't remove wires just hold it asside with a tywrap.

4. remove flywheel nut (CCW to take off). Impact makes it easier but you can also manage with long flexbar and the bike in gear with brakes on.

5. Bolt on weight & torque. Use red loctitie.

5a. clean off the old gasket if necessary.

6.Re-install everything. Add oil & go riding.

it says its a weight.it says it also comes with a new cover,so it bolts onto the flywheel.im still waiting for mine,its on back order.i also bought a new gasket for the case cover.

Alright thanks for all the info guys!

Much appreciated, just dad was giving me negative thoughts saying i should just "leave it alone" as i might stuff it up and my mates are just telling me to put a different sprocket on my bike to give it more top speed and less acceleration.

Assuming i do get this flywheel it would make the bike more manageable power wise changing the powerband to something like a TTR wouldn't it? (assuming i go the 13oz?)

also which puller should i be looking at?

Moty, If the weight comes with a new cover then I would guess that it bolts onto your existing flywheel. No puller should be needed. A 13 oz weight is going to make a big difference in the feel of your engine. Check out this site... http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/about_steahly.shtml they have a pretty good explanation of what the weight will do. The heavier the weight, the slower the bike will rev and the rear tire will hook up better. I put a 7oz weight on my 03 YZ 450 (which is known for being a hard hitting, hard to control motor) and while the change was subtle it made the bike much more controlable coming out of corners without killing the hit. If you ride mostly track then go with a lighter weight, if you ride more trails go with the heavier one. Also, before installing the weight if you lay the bike on its side with the flywheel side up you dont need to drain the oil, it'll settle to the other side. Good luck!