Sign in to follow this  

Slowly losing charge...L-C'mon I know you want to HELP!

Hi Everyone, its been a while since I posted last...good to be back! I searched the forum for nearly an hour before posting this thread because I thought the answer would be out there!

After my winter rebuild project I am back on the road with my 93' L and commuting every day, plus some trail riding on the weekends.

I bought a new battery after the project because the dealer said the old one was 'kaput'...but, after riding the bike for about a week back and forth to work, I notice that the battery slowly loses charge and eventually wont turn the motor at all. I then put it on the trickle charger over night and whalla it goes well for about another week or two.

Therefore, I believe that when the bike is running, it is not putting any charge back to the battery, hence the battery is slowly dying. Could this be the regulator/rectifyer, the stator, the alternator...also if anyone could give me a brief idea of what each of these things do I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again in advance!!!!

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts AC to DC. I love that band. Kinda like a oneway street for electrical current.

Regulator limits the amount of voltage that gets past it. Stator will produce 50V to 65V at higher RPM's(depending onthe bike) But if that voltage allowed to flow everywhere on the electrical system, things would burn up "double dog" fast.

Stator is the "winding" portion of a generator. In motorcycle language, we use the term stator to indicate the two differnt copper coils where the current is produced to run our bikes. There are two in there. One for the lights and charging the battery, and one for the ignition of the bike.

The fly wheel has magnets in it. This is the rotor portion of a generator. When running, the magnetic fields of the rotor cut across the copper wires of the coil, and the magic of physics occurs. Current is induced in those coils and Bang...We gots 'lectricty...

Hold old is this bike? Have you done anything to the bike lately? Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to test for voltage, resistance, amperage? Do you hear voices? Just kiddin...But really, do they know how shot Kennedy?

RipperFox knows his electronics. Just a SWAG from a similar experience with an old Yamaha I had in high school, the stator is bad. My Yami did the same thing, though more extreme. I could charge the batt, ride from Cave Creek to Phoenix and back, and it would be time to recharge the battery again. Kinda an early hybrid.

-Joe

At idle, 12.5 to 13.5 volts.

At cruise voltage reg is going to limit to 14-15 Volts

The classic target for voltage regulation is 14.4, but that is like gas mileage. (varies from bike to bike, temp, eetc.)

You can also check if there is a draw on the battery. Put a test light inline with the positive cable. If it lights up bright you have a big draw.

Check all electrical connections for corrosion. Honda harnesses do a good job of keeping water out, but the connections are not 'gooped' with anti-corrosion stuff, so they go bad eventually. Especially the ground point at the battery and coil.

Check all electrical connections for corrosion. Honda harnesses do a good job of keeping water out, but the connections are not 'gooped' with anti-corrosion stuff, so they go bad eventually. Especially the ground point at the battery and coil.

+1 on that. It could be something as simple as a wire came loose.

There isn't muxt to the system. It's either a wiring problem, the rectifier/regulator or the stator.

if the chargin system is working, which it sounds like it is, you may have a shorted battery. if you dont ride for a couple days check the voltage after your last ride and then a day or two later; any appreciable drop (1or 2 volts) your battery may be internally shorted.hope this helps

It is me again, back with a reply on my 2 year old thread...but the problem still exists with my battery not getting the recharge it should when I ride.

Since I posted this thread, I replaced the regulator, but it did not help things. I have a new battery and all the connections are corrosion free and tight.

I suspect that my CDI is bad due to other symptoms, but does the CDI have anything to do with recharging the battery?

So RipperFox, does it sound like I need to replace/rewind the stator or the generator at this point? I am running out of options...

It is me again, back with a reply on my 2 year old thread...but the problem still exists with my battery not getting the recharge it should when I ride.

Since I posted this thread, I replaced the regulator, but it did not help things. I have a new battery and all the connections are corrosion free and tight.

I suspect that my CDI is bad due to other symptoms, but does the CDI have anything to do with recharging the battery?

So RipperFox, does it sound like I need to replace/rewind the stator or the generator at this point? I am running out of options...

(1) What is your voltage at the battery when it`s running?????????..do you have any optional power consuming accessories,,big lights,etc..

(2) If you are having CDI problems let me know,i rebuild these for free,you just pay the shipping...

B

You've checked fuses also?.Not trying to annoy you!---did you put the "correct" battery in?.:thumbsup:

Verify the battery can hold a charge disconnected.

If the battery is stable, the electricity is going through something else. Could be a hot wire worn through somewhere in the harness, rubbin on the frame? Need to really look carefully at the wiring and you just might find an electrical path.

There is also an old mechanics trick to check for a draw when the key is off..

Take a 12volt test light,remove the positive or negative battery cable,hook the test light aligator clip to the battery cable you just took off,put the probe of the test light to the battery terminal that is now not hooked to anything....if the test light lights up you have a draw.pull fuses till the light goes out.the draw is on that curcuit when the light goes out...the CDI may draw a slight bit of power when key is off,a lot of modules do that to keep their memory,,but i seriously doubt this bike does...

B