Sign in to follow this  

Reliability...

Alright...I have a guy that works with the local track that is telling me that I should skip any of the Chinese bikes and just get a Honda CR50 for a first bike.

As far as I know, the Chinese bikes work about as well as the amount of effort you put into setting them up. I know that they aren't built to the strictest of quality standards, which means that you may have to spend a bit more time setting the bike up...like greasing some things, using some LocTite on the bolts, taking some time to dial in the carb correctly.

If I spend the requisite amount of time doing these things, the Chinese bike would probably be about as good of quality as anything else out there, right?? Not to mention, from the other thread you would have over $3K invested into a CR50 just to get it up to the standards that a Pitster is.

Now, I kinda think the guy might just be a bit biased...because he told me not to buy a Chinese bike, then told me that a friend of his has a nicely setup SSR that he might be willing to sell me...which is odd considering he's telling me that Chinese bikes aren't any good.

I'm a bit of an odd individual in that I actually ENJOY working on a bike...almost as much as I like riding them. So something that might require a bit more wrench time is NOT a big deal to me.

So, with that said, should I be worried at all about the reliability of the little Chinese bikes???

he sounds like a tool, you got it right about the chinese bikes, just go over with a fine tooth comb, youll be cool!

ANYTHING can break. Period. True a stock honda 50 is reliable. It makes 2.5 horsepower on a good day. Bore it and stroke it and get it making two to three times that and it will be no more reliable than any of the china bikes who will still be making more horsepower.

there are so many mods for a honda 50 its crazy..

there are these real nice pit bikes on here like the ssr or ogm (i think thats what they are called) and pister.. those are nice.. but truthfully with a honda u get the reliability.. and there are some kids that lived accross the street from me and they were like 18-21 and rode the sh** out of these hondas.. never had a problem with any

Again, a stock honda engine is so overbuilt and under powered that you certainly can ride the crap out of it with no trouble, but if you want to make competitive power, it just isn't going to have the same reliability.

Well take it from me as a SSR owner for over 3 years. (I own two SSRs now) I bought one and was a bit aprehensive at first like you. I set it up correctly and do regular maintence and adjustments as required and I have had ZERO mechanical problems with both motors that I have used in my C4, I say two motors because the original Zonger got a work out in the C4 before I transplanted it into my CT70 and dropped a Jialing with BBK ect... in its place. Now lets be honest the C4 is not and was not a high doller bike nor a high performing bike compared to what is available today, but it has performed over the years with only one hitch I broke the crappy rear shock after about a year swapped it for a better unit and its what I currently race and ride and it and I have no intetion of retireing it anytime soon. I know this post will not quell the haters nor cement your decision on a "off brand" but I thought maybe I should give you the honest scoop of "life with a Chinese bike". Honestly owning and maintaing one is no different than maintaining any one of my Spanish trials bikes, Japanese motocross and offroad bikes, American and vintage Japanese bikes. The key is doing a little homework on the price range and bike you like then find a reputable dealer (such as OutLaw Powersports or Staggs ect...) to buy it from and you should be good to go.

The Unreliability China factor goes out the window on this one

210 CRF50 Replica Model $400 to my Door

IMG_0502.jpg

and with a few used parts laying around my shop this China Boy turned into this a 2006 Masters of Mini Championship (used Tall seat, CRf50 stock pipe with BBR cap, used wheels and tires, ($40 dollars for +1 chromo fork legs and springs) swaped out the top clamp and bars and a Black spray can to the frame

China Boy CRf50 Replica

IMG_0568.jpg

Well take it from me as a SSR owner for over 3 years. (I own two SSRs now) I bought one and was a bit aprehensive at first like you. I set it up correctly and do regular maintence and adjustments as required and I have had ZERO mechanical problems with both motors that I have used in my C4, I say two motors because the original Zonger got a work out in the C4 before I transplanted it into my CT70 and dropped a Jialing with BBK ect... in its place. Now lets be honest the C4 is not and was not a high doller bike nor a high performing bike compared to what is available today, but it has performed over the years with only one hitch I broke the crappy rear shock after about a year swapped it for a better unit and its what I currently race and ride and it and I have no intetion of retireing it anytime soon. I know this post will not quell the haters nor cement your decision on a "off brand" but I thought maybe I should give you the honest scoop of "life with a Chinese bike". Honestly owning and maintaing one is no different than maintaining any one of my Spanish trials bikes, Japanese motocross and offroad bikes, American and vintage Japanese bikes. The key is doing a little homework on the price range and bike you like then find a reputable dealer (such as OutLaw Powersports or Staggs ect...) to buy it from and you should be good to go.

Let's be honest, if you can keep a '74 SC500 running you can keep anything running! (sorry, couldn't resist. I used to see those things sieze like clockwork)

But I do agree, the quality on my china bike engines is very good.

Haha Chiro! Well its only had one top end in it in its life. Proper (constant) and jetting and proper "autolube" cable adjustment with good oil. Keeps those SC500's alive.

OLDSCHOOL, thats a nice little "cheap" mini :thumbsup: and I totally believe that it is/was just as reliable as the Honda counterparts.