Frustrated oil checker...Rocket science!!

I have owned XR's for awhile and recently bought a 96 XR650L. Changing oil isn't difficult but checking the oil and getting it to proper level on dipstick? It calls for 2-quarts and I did everything by the book. After it starts and runs for a few minutes I check ASAP but find just a little oil on dip stick. Can I just know it has the two quarts of oil and go or do I need to keep adding oil until it shows on dipstick?

Thank you

It takes about ten minutes of riding to get the true reading,at least it does on my 650r.(I have a sight tube)

2Qts. is good.

I have owned XR's for awhile and recently bought a 96 XR650L. Changing oil isn't difficult but checking the oil and getting it to proper level on dipstick? It calls for 2-quarts and I did everything by the book. After it starts and runs for a few minutes I check ASAP but find just a little oil on dip stick. Can I just know it has the two quarts of oil and go or do I need to keep adding oil until it shows on dipstick?

Thank you

I changed my oil per the sticky that was on the top of the page .( I don't see it there anymore but it could be my computer too it sucks) . I added a quart of oil and ran the bike for 5 min stoped bike and let sit 5 min checked oil and it was at the bottom of dip stick added other quart of oil let run 5 min and sit 5 min dipstick showed oil right at top marks.. This worked for me as I was once putting up to 3 quarts of oil in the bike ... Hopes this helps :thumbsup:

I don't usually get a good reading when just idling. One problem with the idle method is the bike is sitting an an angle when on the kickstand. The pump is on the right side and the oil pools in the left side which is lower. Before checking hold the bike so it is straight up fo 30 or 45 seconds. I usually just hop on and take a spin around the block for a couple of minutes. Then I pull up kill the engine and check.

It takes about ten minutes of riding to get the true reading,at least it does on my 650r.(I have a sight tube)

2Qts. is good.

+1, it's the same for the airhead bikes as well. I have to ride my 600 around for at least ten minutes before I get an accurate reading. I usually wait until the frame head starts getting warm. Then I check it, top it off, ride some more, check it again, and rarely have to add anything after that. The most I ever had to put in it was ~2.1 quarts which is almost exactly 2 liters.

It's not rocket science, it's just a procedure with a few more steps than most other oil changes. If it's taking noticeably more than 2.1qts to get it full, either it's not being checked correctly or you have the wrong dipstick.

I'm not sure the stickied thread/poll is really conclusive. I said the same thing there as I did here, but almost half of all the votes were for amounts over 2.25qts. Several were for "3qts or more."

:thumbsup:

+1, it's the same for the airhead bikes as well. I have to ride my 600 around for at least ten minutes before I get an accurate reading. I usually wait until the frame head starts getting warm. Then I check it, top it off, ride some more, check it again, and rarely have to add anything after that. The most I ever had to put in it was ~2.1 quarts which is almost exactly 2 liters.

It's not rocket science, it's just a procedure with a few more steps than most other oil changes. If it's taking noticeably more than 2.1qts to get it full, either it's not being checked correctly or you have the wrong dipstick.

I'm not sure the stickied thread/poll is really conclusive. I said the same thing there as I did here, but almost half of all the votes were for amounts over 2.25qts. Several were for "3qts or more."

:thumbsup:

I am with you on that. Just a hair over 2 qts. is correct. Seems like alot like to "over fill" the bikes.

I think the sticky is interesting though to see what others think is right.

Maybe I take XR reliability for granted, but I don't check oil level. I install a new filter along with 2 liters and forget about it until the next oil change. As long as you're not seeing leaks or blue exhaust.....all is good.

Maybe I take XR reliability for granted, but I don't check oil level. I install a new filter along with 2 liters and forget about it until the next oil change. As long as you're not seeing leaks or blue exhaust.....all is good.

I think checking after each ride is kind of important. They will burn some oil, especially on longer highway rides.

Norge, something for your chin.:thumbsup:

kleenex.jpg

I changed my oil per the sticky that was on the top of the page .( I don't see it there anymore but it could be my computer too it sucks) . I added a quart of oil and ran the bike for 5 min stoped bike and let sit 5 min checked oil and it was at the bottom of dip stick added other quart of oil let run 5 min and sit 5 min dipstick showed oil right at top marks.. This worked for me as I was once putting up to 3 quarts of oil in the bike ... Hopes this helps :thumbsup:

read what cleo said, with you letting it sit for 5 minutes before checking it your letting oil go back down into the engine and this is why you have put in 3 qts before. Run get it warm and check nice and level ( i use a brick under kick stand) so its about perfectly upright and check right after you stop it. No waiting for 5 minutes

I don't usually get a good reading when just idling. One problem with the idle method is the bike is sitting an an angle when on the kickstand. The pump is on the right side and the oil pools in the left side which is lower. Before checking hold the bike so it is straight up fo 30 or 45 seconds. I usually just hop on and take a spin around the block for a couple of minutes. Then I pull up kill the engine and check.
I think checking after each ride is kind of important. They will burn some oil, especially on longer highway rides.

Norge, something for your chin.:thumbsup:

kleenex.jpg

Checking after each ride? Maybe on a KTM that holds 6 ounces of oil. I'm not concerned if there is 2.5 or 1.5 liters in the bike....it's enough. After a long journey I might add a splash of oil to buy time till the next oil change, but otherwise I just don't worry about it.

I would expect insults towards Mr Young from Denn, but from you? Ouch. :ride:

Checking after each ride? Maybe on a KTM that holds 6 ounces of oil. I'm not concerned if there is 2.5 or 1.5 liters in the bike....it's enough. After a long journey I might add a splash of oil to buy time till the next oil change, but otherwise I just don't worry about it.

I would expect insults towards Mr Young from Denn, but from you? Ouch. :thumbsup:

Oh, thats not you???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U0cceo0FCUc&feature=related