Sign in to follow this  

Anyone know where I can get fork tubes straightend

I am starting to wonder about the bike I just bought. I always swore I would never buy another used bike. Some of you may have seen my other post on revalving my front forks. I was putting them back together last night and noticed that the tubes are bent :thumbsup:. There are a few sets of complete forks on Ebay right now, but they are $300.00. Is there anyone I could send my tubes to for straightening?

Straighten fork sanctions is no big deal. Find a shop in your area that does insurance work, and they can take care of it. Or a machine shop that works on cars/motorcycles.

Straightening fork sanctions is no big deal. Find a shop in your area that does insurance work, and they can take care of it. Or a machine shop that works on cars/motorcycles.

I just got off the phone with a friend that basically has a machine shop in his garage. He said we could put the in his lathe and use a dial indicator to figure out where they are bent. Then use his press and a set of V blocks to straighten them out. I hope it works.

I just got off the phone with a friend that basically has a machine shop in his garage. He said we could put the in his lathe and use a dial indicator to figure out where they are bent. Then use his press and a set of V blocks to straighten them out. I hope it works.

Be very careful not to nick them. Apply the pressure over a few inches or more with a V block of strong synthetic material. A good striaght edge should show what is up before you ruin your seels taking the fork apart to put them on a lathe. If they are very slightly bent you can always do the real old trick and rotate the forks. I rotate my fork tube 90 degrees every time I do something to them. I have makes on them to tell me where they were at last. I do this because I been known to jump the bike way past what it should be. You almost never see a bent set of forks inless someone hit something. Like a tree or car.

Be very careful not to nick them. Apply the pressure over a few inches or more with a V block of strong synthetic material. A good striaght edge should show what is up before you ruin your seels taking the fork apart to put them on a lathe. If they are very slightly bent you can always do the real old trick and rotate the forks. I rotate my fork tube 90 degrees every time I do something to them. I have makes on them to tell me where they were at last. I do this because I been known to jump the bike way past what it should be. You almost never see a bent set of forks inless someone hit something. Like a tree or car.

I will have to remember that rotating trick.

The bike seemed to be in great shape when I bought it. Now that I am doing normal maintenance I am finding all these little things wrong with it. Oh well, it will be right when I am done.

CIMG1872.jpg

I will have to remember that rotating trick.

The bike seemed to be in great shape when I bought it. Now that I am doing normal maintenance I am finding all these little things wrong with it. Oh well, it will be right when I am done.

CIMG1872.jpg

Well, like I said, it rare to see bent forks....so, check them before you pull the tubes. No reason to ruin seels over something that looks bent. Find a good steel yard stick or level for a striaght edge if you don't have one.

Well, like I said, it rare to see bent forks....so, check them before you pull the tubes. No reason to ruin seels over something that looks bent. Find a good steel yard stick or level for a striaght edge if you don't have one.

One was .110" out, the other was .076" out :thumbsup: They must have hit a freakin ditch doing 90, someone was hurting pretty bad after that crash. They were bent the worse by the bottom clamp. They are straight now but they are Little out of round where we were pushing on them. We did most of the pushing up top where the tube is clamped. The V blocks did put some small nicks in them too :ride: I think they may be junk.

We had to push them beyond .200" to get them to do anything.

:thumbsup: hurt with you on this........the distortion from the first bend, then more distorttion bending them back. Nicks and all and you want the seels to seel. If it is all up close to the triple clamp the seels will never see it.

The ebay forx are a good deal.

I have mine put back together except for oil and new seals. If they dint seal up then I will have to buy them.

Well, they sealed up. I put them together last night with new seals and they are not leaking. So, I am going to run them.

If the knicks are above the point where the forks compress to interact with the seals, it won't make any difference. just run 'em and be grateful that you lucked out.

If the knicks are in the path of the seals and you notice some seeping, don't throw in the towel yet. Depending on how deep the gouge is, use some super fine grit sand paper followed by some steel wool on the damaged area. If your intentions are to replace them anyway, you've got nothing to lose. It might fix the leak and save you some cash.

If the knicks are above the point where the forks compress to interact with the seals, it won't make any difference. just run 'em and be grateful that you lucked out.

If the knicks are in the path of the seals and you notice some seeping, don't throw in the towel yet. Depending on how deep the gouge is, use some super fine grit sand paper followed by some steel wool on the damaged area. If your intentions are to replace them anyway, you've got nothing to lose. It might fix the leak and save you some cash.

I tried to hit the spots with some 2000 grit while the tubes were spinning on the lathe. It didn't seem to phase the chrome finish so I gave up. I also hit the spots with a wire wheel on the bench grinder, didn't really seem to do much either.