Sign in to follow this  

Hillclimb on 2 stroke.

I have this hill on my practice hs course that I was able to climb easily when I had my little 150. Now that I'm on a 250 smoker its a little different story. The hill is not very long but its pretty steep and there are some trees that are pretty tight right at the top. Everytime I've tried to climb it I end up with the front tire coming off the ground so i pull in the clutch and use my brakes to roll back down the hill.

Try it one gear up, make sure your standing with your weight as far forward as possible, you can also use the clutch to moderate the power if needed.

Try it one gear up, make sure your standing with your weight as far forward as possible, you can also use the clutch to moderate the power if needed.

:thumbsup: what he said

I have the same problem. I have a 1999 CR250r and I weigh 240lbs. When I climb I always get to a spot where there is a horizontal rock/ledge and my front tire always goes to the sky. I just lean forward.

:ride: Up a gear.. 2nd ok 3rd better

:rant: Stand up and lean forward

Also:

A 2t can't tractor along like a 4t, so you gotta make up for it with clutch and throttle control and focus on conserving momentum. Keeping the revs about the same(you don't have to rev it to the moon) and controling traction with the clutch(and body weight) seems to be the key.

There is a learning curve for sure. If you get in the back seat and can't get back to your feet, it instantly gets a lot harder to get up a hill without looping. But, all of this has inspired me to just go a lot faster uphill, which has worked out very well in multiple ways. :thumbsup:

Good luck

im suprised no one has told you to go buy a bunch of aftermarket parts....but good advice from above

im suprised no one has told you to go buy a bunch of aftermarket parts....but good advice from above

Good call.... Does seem to be the norm around here sometimes. But, some of us just don't have tons of $ to throw at our bikes, so we're forced to become good riders instead :thumbsup:

Sorry to jack, but, when I first got my RM, many people told me I'd need to spend a bit of money to make it a "woods" bike. Basicly what they were saying is that I needed to make it easier to ride, by crippling the power band, softening the suspension, damping the steering, etc. But, I wasn't looking for "easy to ride" I was looking for a challenging and fun bike to ride. IMO a 2t is a lot harder to ride well, but much more fun and rewarding when you come to terms with it. And now, a year later, all those people who told me I'd hate it if I didn't spend money on it, who I struggled to keep up with when I was on a 4t, can rarely keep up with me(on a good day of course).

Sorry again, you got my squirrel cage spinnin gb

I agree with DRZ400 I ride a RM and just learned to handle the bike. You can drop all the money you want in a bike but I good rider will always kick you butt lol. Just lean forward and you should be fine. just remember to keep you revs up and let the bike do the work.

I have this hill on my practice hs course that I was able to climb easily when I had my little 150. Now that I'm on a 250 smoker its a little different story. The hill is not very long but its pretty steep and there are some trees that are pretty tight right at the top. Everytime I've tried to climb it I end up with the front tire coming off the ground so i pull in the clutch and use my brakes to roll back down the hill.

Make your speed at the bottom so you can carry momentum up to and past the trees. Your front wheel won't be as light in case you need to turn. Can't lug those type of hils on a 2t. More gas on the approach and you can keep steady throttle all the way up instead of needing to add more throttle and looping out near the top. Works for me

carry more speed up the the obstacle that is putting your front wheel into the air, that way, if you have to let off a little, you can down shift, and keep moving forward instead of having to come to a stop.

You obviously need an extended swingarm and more gas in your tank to keep the front end down. :thumbsup:

I understand. I think.

You need to carry momentum right up until you hit that tree section. Do this by hammering in 2nd/3rd and when you reach the narrow tree section up top, move to the front of the seat, downshift and hammer once more. If you have enough momentum, you'll already be rolling and hitting the throttle won't lift the front wheel so much.

Do your best :thumbsup:

lead the bike with your head and eyes, head should be at or over the bars push with your feet on the pegs if you have to put a foot down dont put your butt on the seat and do what every body els has said.

• Like 1

lead the bike with your head and eyes, head should be at or over the bars push with your feet on the pegs if you have to put a foot down dont put your butt on the seat and do what every body els has said.

:eek::p:applause::ride:

Momentum and throttle and clutch control. Standing and leaning forward is good but you have to shift your weight to maintain traction too. Get youself a heavier flywheel weight. That will help a lot.

Dwight