Sign in to follow this  

Ignition switch, how many amps ?

Hi guys

My stock ignition is starting to act up, sometimes it will not switch on. Only after removing it and turning it upside down it will make contact. The bike even cut out on the highway, not a good thing ! I tried cleaning it etc but no luck. I now added an aftermarket on off switch but the wires are thinner than those of the stock ignition. How many amps goes through this switch ? Think smaller gauge wires will work ?

Thanks

The ignition switch needs to be same as or more current rated as the main fuse. I would use a 30 amp switch and want 14 gage wire at the switch. You can use a very small low amp switch if you add a 40 amp relay and use the switch just to activate the control side of the relay. 40 amp relays are common and inexpensieve and often used for add-on headlights.

Hi guys

My stock ignition is starting to act up, sometimes it will not switch on. Only after removing it and turning it upside down it will make contact. The bike even cut out on the highway, not a good thing ! I tried cleaning it etc but no luck. I now added an aftermarket on off switch but the wires are thinner than those of the stock ignition. How many amps goes through this switch ? Think smaller gauge wires will work ?

Thanks

Same thing happen to me, was cut off halfway riding, not a good experience. Lucky there was no traffic behind me.

Can i use a DRZ-SM ignition switch? I think there's a additional parking light position on the SM ignition switch. I'm riding a E model, will it plug straight in?