Does it make me any less of a rider...?

Does it make me any less of a rider if I ride a 10 year old bike when all my friends that have brand new bikes?

I know the bike doesnt make the rider, but I feel like shit when my spoiled-ass friends get new bikes every year, when I'll have to save for years just to be able to afford one.

Dont get me wrong, I love my bike, but I would give anything just to have the power and reliability of these newer bikes. Hopefully this application goes through and Ill be getting a new job soon, but Ill have to help my mom pay bills.

So does it make me any less of a rider?

Does it make me any less of a rider if I ride a 10 year old bike when all my friends that have brand new bikes?

I know the bike doesnt make the rider, but I feel like shit when my spoiled-ass friends get new bikes every year, when I'll have to save for years just to be able to afford one.

Dont get me wrong, I love my bike, but I would give anything just to have the power and reliability of these newer bikes. Hopefully this application goes through and Ill be getting a new job soon, but Ill have to help my mom pay bills.

Are you better than them? It'd make you feel better if you out ride them and show (rather than say) how good your old bike really works! I ride a 1994 610 Husky...it starts every 2nd kick (i usually forget to turn it on), rides smooth, hauls azzzzz...If you're having fun with what you've got then it doesn't matter and NO it doesn't make you any less a rider!

hell no it doesnt I have a 99 and my freinds have 2005+ and I could care less!

its about the fun of the sport not the money I know how you fell Im 16 and I busted my ass off to get my bike,and my friends just ask daddy and wholah! they got it fresh from the dealer,just have fun!

I know its hard but I mean if youre kickin their asses than who cares!?!?

As long as you're riding, it doesn't matter. Unless you are breaking down every 10 feet. My friend rode a 85 YZ490 for a while before he could get a better newer bike and I was just glad that he could ride.

what bike do you have?

Learning to go fast on an older bike will only make you a better rider.:thumbsup:

I prefer older bikes. I ride a 1980XR 200 and a 1991XR 600R. I can afford what ever I want, but why? Riding and having fun is what really matters.

I'd be afraid to hurt my bike if it cost a ton. My.02 Troy in Tahoe

Ahhhhh, yessss. The old envy ploy delivering up feelings of inadequacy. This has been going on since time immemorial.

Don't fall for it.

Dave

no it doesnt make you less of a rider. it makes them less of a rider if they think it makes them more of a rider because their S^%* is shiny new

Thanks guys. This has cheered me up.

I'm rocking a 1999 model year bike as well. (YZ400F)

I'm in it for the fun of riding, not the status of my bike.

So you ride a '99? Maybe it would help you feel better about your bike if I tell you I started out on a 1973 Honda XL250 when I was 15. Then I upgraded to a 1979 Honda XL185s. Had that til 2005. At the time, I did not care if I had a new bike, I just would have given anything to have a bike with that invention known as "suspension". I drooled over any pile of crap bike that at least had a single shock in the back.

Then in I was able to afford a brand new CRF450X. I am thankful for the experience with the older bikes, and I am able to appreciate what my modern bike has to offer. Some people that get a new bike as their first bike just don't understand.

Dude... you are having the same fun for a lot less money. It doesn't matter what you ride, it only matters "that you ride".

Who give's a rats ass what they think. Get over that.

Besides, you are helping your mom. You should take pride in that.

I am a firm believer that you can invest in a pipe and some suspension work and any old bike will be just as good as a new bike.

So you ride a '99? Maybe it would help you feel better about your bike if I tell you I started out on a 1973 Honda XL250 when I was 15. Then I upgraded to a 1979 Honda XL185s. Had that til 2005. At the time, I did not care if I had a new bike, I just would have given anything to have a bike with that invention known as "suspension". I drooled over any pile of crap bike that at least had a single shock in the back.

Then in I was able to afford a brand new CRF450X. I am thankful for the experience with the older bikes, and I am able to appreciate what my modern bike has to offer. Some people that get a new bike as their first bike just don't understand.

Yeah, my spoiled friends have no clue. Thanks for your input.

Dude... you are having the same fun for a lot less money. It doesn't matter what you ride, it only matters "that you ride".

Who give's a rats ass what they think. Get over that.

Besides, you are helping your mom. You should take pride in that.

I am a firm believer that you can invest in a pipe and some suspension work and any old bike will be just as good as a new bike.

True that.

I've got you beat by five years! No way in hell I'm letting go of my '94 CR250. The suspension is outdated for sure, but that engine just won't stop ripping. :thumbsup:

Haha, nice. I do like hazing an older bike kinda, but I want to know what it feels like to have a brand new one. Maybe Ill save up for a 2010 YZ250. Hopefully they still make them then.

Haha, nice. I do like hazing an older bike kinda, but I want to know what it feels like to have a brand new one. Maybe Ill save up for a 2010 YZ250. Hopefully they still make them then.

I also have an '06 CRF450R and I will admit that the suspension refinements over that 12 year gap are sweet, but the 250 is still a blast. I consider myself really fortunate to have both bikes.

It depends on if you feel this way because you simply are on an older bike that is not reliable and has no power OR your spoiled ace friends are ripping on you every ride year after year for having an older bike. If the later is true, then that would get old to anybody and I would start wondering what kind of friends they really are.

A '99 CR250 when properly maintained is plenty reliable and powerful, so if you feel like it's not then maybe a good freshening up will do the trick. If your always the slower rider with your friends on their new bikes then when you get a new bike you will still be the slower rider.

Get that CR in good shape and keep working on your skills to stay ahead of your buddies, it's very satisfying to be on an older bike and roost your friends who have newer bikes, especially the ones who get new bikes every year...:thumbsup:

Hey, I was rockin a 1974 Honda XL100 just until 3 years ago, that is way worse than a 99 CR250. All of my friends made fun of it because it was slow and ugly, but it was fun and cheap to ride.

i think it makes you more of a rider, because being a rider isnt about having the best stuff, its about loving riding and you obviously do. because you dont care what your on as long as your on something