Sign in to follow this  

Scratch

Alright, the set up is today hasn't exactly been my dad's day. Bike problems when we got to the trail (my fault... i maintain his bike), don't know why we even tried with that bike though acutally. Anyway, we needed some car wax, and as we left the store and walked up to the truck i noticed a sizeable scratch right below the headlight on his year old (to us) truck. We've since figured out it came from hitting the snow blower. Anyway, the scratch goes completely though the pain all the way to the metal. Anyway, it's an 05 taco in that dark blue color. anyway, this is one we need to re-paint. We want to go with the touch up stuff. Can we get this from anyplace other then Toyota? Also, he wants to wash and wax the truck and my car. Should we hold off on the truck? i.e. could the wax cause problems when it comes to putting the touch up paint down?

my truck is white so its a little easier to match BUT we got some DupliColor touch up paint from wal-mart and it looks pretty good! It actually says its a GM white something (cant remember exact color). Maybe you'll get lucky with the yota and they will have some :ride: When I do a touch up on the bare metal, I wash the truck, park it in the garage (let the paint cool off), and then put a little of the touch up on. Once it dries, I repeat the touch up until the chip/scratch is filled and finally, I wet sand the area VERY LIGHTLY with 2000 grit sand paper and THEN wax it all :thumbsup: I hope this helps :rant: Good luck!

alright, i'll forward that onto my dad... hopefully the wax we just put on isn't gonna make things not stick

I had to do some touch up to my enclosed trailer. It's white and it was a few years old when I needed to repaint some of it. I knew I'd never be able to match the paint. Turns out that my local auto parts store had a meter they put on the side of the trailer and it told them exactly what color the paint was and how to mix the paint to be used so that it was a perfect match. I came to find that most auto parts stores have the meters. The store then mixed up the paint and put it in a spray can for me. Maybe that would be an idea for you.

alright, i'll forward that onto my dad... hopefully the wax we just put on isn't gonna make things not stick

it wont matter as long as you clean the area you are going to treat before hand :thumbsup:

it wont matter as long as you clean the area you are going to treat before hand :thumbsup:

And clean it GOOD. Anybody that has ever dealt with autobody/paint knows that any wax (especially those containing silicone) completely kill paint adhesion.

Get some real wax/grease remover.

And clean it GOOD. Anybody that has ever dealt with autobody/paint knows that any wax (especially those containing silicone) completely kill paint adhesion.

Get some real wax/grease remover.

yes! i didn't emphasize that...i actually use rubbing alcohol on the area to be touched up and then wax when touch up is dry...