Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to get carb ice?

A couple days ago I got caught in a nasty storm (sleet, snow, ice, fog) coming back from work, and the engine started to sputter and die (400S, standard carb, 3x3 mod). I just barely made it home after many restarts.

I've experienced carb icing in small planes (and have a way to clear it), but is this possible on a DRZ? Or is there something else that could have caused it? I don't think any water got under the seat, but everything else was frozen over solid.

Everything is back to normal now, including circulation to my fingers...

Yes sounds like carb icing to me, I think you can get an aftermarket carb heater from Suzuki, they may even fit it as standard in certain parts of the world. I used to suffer this badly on my 600 Bandit and that even had the heating units fitted just the darn connecters always fell off when I needed them the most :thumbsup:

If you have never flown airplanes you have never heard of Carb ice. Any carb can get it. :ride: Remember it is the venturi effect cooling the air to the freezing point, and the water vapor in the atmosphere freezing in the venturi. So of course your DRZ could get it. But usually the carbs are warm enough on cars and bikes to avoid it. I have had it on my Jeep, and my KZ750, but never on my DRZ. I'm looking fwd to it, I will play th hero when it happens.:thumbsup:

It sure is possible with the right temperature/humidity combination...

A couple days ago I got caught in a nasty storm (sleet, snow, ice, fog) coming back from work, and the engine started to sputter and die (400S, standard carb, 3x3 mod). I just barely made it home after many restarts.

I've experienced carb icing in small planes (and have a way to clear it), but is this possible on a DRZ? Or is there something else that could have caused it? I don't think any water got under the seat, but everything else was frozen over solid.

Look here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312744&page=4&pp=10

They make a carb heater for the stock S/SM carb. I have only seen it used in the UK but you may be able to find it. Do a search on cab icing and you should find the part number.

Look like GuyGraham beat me to it....

I would consider getting the heater, but I hope to be able to avoid riding in conditions like that again. And in this dry climate, it's not too often that the dewpoint gets within a couple of degrees of air temperature at ground level.

But who knows--If gas prices keep rising, maybe I'll be riding year round.

Thanks for the replies and links!