Sign in to follow this  

What's Idaho city looking like?

Has anyone been up to Idaho City to see what the snow pack is like ?

Will the snow be gone in time for the Race ? It looked like it was snowing on Bogus this morning. The desert is getting old and I'm jonsing for some Mtn single track.

I asked my Boise-area friend that yesterday. He says rumor has it they will be digging the course out. With shovels. Even if it wasn't snowing or snowy, the course is going to be a tough one, arguably the toughest in recent years.

Snow, Snow, Snow.........Oh yeah...did I say Snow. We ran up 8th street today just to see how far we could get up...snow fields are right about tree line (4500 ft +/-). Snow was also very firm.....

Snow, Snow, Snow.........Oh yeah...did I say Snow. We ran up 8th street today just to see how far we could get up...snow fields are right about tree line (4500 ft +/-). Snow was also very firm.....

That doesn't sound well...:thumbsup:

"Shoveling the course" That's pretty funny!! I'd rather ride 100 miles of it than shovel 100 yrds !! (tell me that was a joke) I was told that someone tried to ride Blacks creek last week and there are still impassable spots. I can't imagine that he got very far in since there is still alot of snow at the bender cr. trail head. I might take a drive up to Id City this week to check out the situation.

Blacks is closed.....ride it = ticket!

Yeah... That was my reaction . but I thought I'd pass along the report of snow.

No joke. :thumbsup:

"Shoveling the course" That's pretty funny!! I'd rather ride 100 miles of it than shovel 100 yrds !! (tell me that was a joke) I was told that someone tried to ride Blacks creek last week and there are still impassable spots. I can't imagine that he got very far in since there is still alot of snow at the bender cr. trail head. I might take a drive up to Id City this week to check out the situation.

I would like to see one of the club members, not me of course, running around with a shovel and pick clearing snow. That is some funny stuff right thar.

About the only thing that is going to happen is that some guys will attempt to blaze the trails with the bikes. Once you cut in a line the snow goes away fairly quickly in that line. However, some of the areas will have several hundreds of feet to hundreds of yards of snow pack. It will be an interesting and challenging year for sure.

I was thinking about switching to my trial tire for the race, but it looks like I may have to invest in a 2moto conversion for this years race

About the only thing that is going to happen is that some guys will attempt to blaze the trails with the bikes. Once you cut in a line the snow goes away fairly quickly in that line. However, some of the areas will have several hundreds of feet to hundreds of yards of snow pack. It will be an interesting and challenging year for sure.

While doing some spring trail work for the USFS last year, they pointed out to us that the above method is quite hard on the trail. Cutting a rut through that snowpack makes a nice channel for the runoff to flow through. Add that to the fact that every bike through that rut is chewing on the same 4" wide bit of dirt, and you have a recipe for nasty ruts in the trail when the snow finally disappears.

Take that for what it's worth...:thumbsup:

Is it really going to be that bad this year? It seems to me that while this year is snowier than last year, it's not really a bizarrely unusually snowy year, and might not even be a fully normal snow year compared to the past.

Is it really going to be that bad this year? It seems to me that while this year is snowier than last year, it's not really a bizarrely unusually snowy year, and might not even be a fully normal snow year compared to the past.

Most places in the NW are averaging nearly or more than 200% snow base. I would think Idaho would be in the same situation.

Mark, It's not the amount of total snow fall (which is more than avg) but how long the snowpack is sticking around. Take Bogus Basin for example, a great year for them would be 95" mid January or February and enough snow to stay open till April 14th (Albeit lots of bare spots )) . This year they had 90" on closing day !! As of Tuesday Idaho City had no snow on the ground in the city limits, But there is still lots of snow back in the trees especially on the north slopes and higher elevations. Just how are you going to make a 100+ mile loop using nothing but south facing slopes below 6000 ft ? (Idaho city is at 4500' +/- ) What we need is a striaght 3 weeks of warm rain followed by 2 weeks of 75 and sunny.

Oh wait a minute !, I'm looking at Bogus as I type and it's snowing up there !!

Damn

I just spoke to my ex-bro in law Al , and he said that it is going to be close . He said that the snow-pac up high where they measure is a little above avg. but the mid to lower elevations have had enourmous amounts of snow. That combined with the low spring temps will make for an interesting year.

BTW, Al is the NRCS hydrologist for the Boise Nat Forest area.

The rut thing is funny. I giggled.

Way back in time, LOL, we were pretty much in this situation every year. It depends on where the course is and how late in the season the snow sticks around. It might be warm and sunny in Boise most days but the warmth is short lived in those hills and the nights are what really count IMO. If we have consistently freezing temps the thaw time is greatly reduced and that snow turns into ice cubes and it takes a very long time for it to disappear.

The old timers will probably just say things are normal and quit complaining.

The rut thing is funny. I giggled.

Just wondering what's so funny about causing damage that will require time and $$$ to repair???

Scott