TT Vapor install help please- DR650

For my birthday I got the TrailTech Vapor for my '06 DR650. When I went to install it, I came up against several roadblocks. I used the supplied magnetic bolt to replace one of the disk bolts. I looked at "lowercasee's" pictures (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603328), but the sensor looks to high to pick up on the rotor bolts. Also, has anyone fitted the temp sensor to an oil line? The supplied sensor is too small to fit the oil line. Any info or help about where to tap into power, etc would be much appreciated.

Stuart

Just put one on my DR, Install the pick-up first then epoxy the other magnet to the rotor where it will be picked up by the sensor. I glued mine next to one of the big rivits on the disc. The temp sensor is a bit small but if you file the inside a tiny bit, it will fit over the oil line going into the valve cover on the right side. I tapped my power directly off the battery. The RPM pickup, splice the hot into one of the coil trigger wires and ground the other side. Let me know if you need more help!

Heres my install http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624136&highlight=vapor

Thanks for the info and link. Has anyone used the provided rotor bolt? Also, any input on whether measuring head or oil temp is preferable?

Thanks for the info and link. Has anyone used the provided rotor bolt? Also, any input on whether measuring head or oil temp is preferable?

I did not use the rotor bolt either, just jb welded the magnet into one of the big rivets. It actually ended up working out perfectly with the placement of the sensor.

I put the temp sensor around the spark plug (after removing the crush washer) as was recommended and it seems to be working fine.

I have mine setup like Lowercasee's and used the supplied magnetic rotor bolt and it works fine. Just got to make sure that the lower end of the sensor cuts through the upper half of the bolt like the instruction says. Also Trailtech has a 12mm temp sensor that will fit the upper banjo oil fitting on the head or you can probably enlarge the 10mm sensor like others have suggested. I have mine on my spark plug now but I' going to move it since I have to replace my oil line anyways. Hope I was able to help. Good luck.

The brake caliper has a bend in it about halfway along it's length. (wrw7255) To get the rotor bolt to pick up, is your sensor mounted on the upper or lower half? I could not see clearly where to mount the sensor. I need to measure it, and I just ran out of time this weekend. Thanks for your input.

Not real sure what you're trying to say but here is a pic of mine already mounted.

DSC00733.jpg

Once I placed the sensor to where I wanted it I marked the caliper at the top of the sensor with a sharpie. I then removed the caliper positioned the sensor at my mark and drilled a hole in the caliper for the self tapping screw they provided and installed the sensor. That piece closest to your rotor is what you want to mount to. The sensor should fit in there nicely. I don't think yours is any different than mine so it should work. I hope I made sense in explaining it.

After some trials and tribulations, I got my Vapor installed. Here's some (hopefully) helpful info for those that follow...

The spark plug temp gauge only fits on the outer plug. It is a tight squeeze, and you will have to bend the thermistor a little to get it to fit.

I used the supplied brake rotor replacement bolt. The stock rotor bolts have wide heads, and the supplied one does not. I added a washer to mimic the shape of the stock bolt. If you mount the sensor as low as possible on the brake caliper, it will pick up.

If you are going to remove the stock speedo, you can use the wires that supplied power to the speedo light to power the Vapor.

To mount the Vapor, I used 2 L brackets and the mounting points of the stock speedo bracket. The speedo bracket and the Vapor mounting points are both 4cm apart.

I'll try to get some pictures up in a few days.

Cheers: Stuart

I checked my Vapor against a GPS yesterday, and holy cow is it accurate. It was reading about 1% slow and so I adjusted it to read about 0.8% fast. It is amazing how simple it can be to get accurate speed readings. I went from 10% over to almost spot on by installing the Vapor. Awesome.

80 mph is so much faster now.

Yeah the stock speedo is way off compared to the Vapor. I have both on my bike and at 70mph on the stock speedo the vapor reads about 62. I havent compared against anything else yet but mileage wise its about spot on also. My last check is to get one of my sheriff buddy's to radar me and compare.

Just finished the install of a Vapor on my 97 DR650. Pictures and a short discussion of the installation are here.

what is the running temp of your bike, i have mine on the spark plug too and the temp reads about 350 deg.f when i am going down the highway

Ive got my sensor on the sparkplug and my max reading so far has been 282 going 90 up a hill on the freeway. I average about 240 it seems.

Hi. I really like the Vapour, not sure of an alternative that looks that impressive. What is the review rating on these? I mean, I hear of a couple of guys who bought them (here in South Africa) and sent them back two weeks later. Some problems where erratic rpm's, wrong rpms, erratic temp levels, erratic speed values. Given, one guy said you have to configure them correctly, but still? I do realize that one usually only hear the bad stuff about a product by mere mention of the name, rarely the good stuff unless you ask categorically (wow, always wanted to use that sentence...categorically :thumbsup: ). So, what has been your experiences regarding the function and what did you do differently from the manufacturer and why?

All I have to do now is get the money somewhere to buy a DR!:busted:

The Vapor was installed on a 2007/8? DR by Motorcycle Consumer News (back page, July edition received yesterday in the mail). A few problems with installation (they didn't spring for the protector); liked its operation and presentation.

Tom

what is the running temp of your bike, i have mine on the spark plug too and the temp reads about 350 deg.f when i am going down the highway

I didn't remove the crush washer so that may affect the temperature reading. In town, I'm averaging about 290 and the max I've seen so far was a bit over 300 (think it was 302) when outside air temperature was 90.

Hi. I really like the Vapour, not sure of an alternative that looks that impressive. What is the review rating on these? I mean, I hear of a couple of guys who bought them (here in South Africa) and sent them back two weeks later. Some problems where erratic rpm's, wrong rpms, erratic temp levels, erratic speed values. Given, one guy said you have to configure them correctly, but still? I do realize that one usually only hear the bad stuff about a product by mere mention of the name, rarely the good stuff unless you ask categorically (wow, always wanted to use that sentence...categorically :thumbsup: ). So, what has been your experiences regarding the function and what did you do differently from the manufacturer and why?

All I have to do now is get the money somewhere to buy a DR!:busted:

Following the installation and a bit of debugging, the function has been perfect except for the indicator lights on the dashboard. As mentioned in my write up, I encountered three main problem areas. First, I couldn't get the tach to work. There are two types of tach leads one with a resistor and one without. According to Trailtech the one I had, the one with the resistor, is to be hooked up to the input of the coil. That didn't work nor did wrapping it around the sparkplug cable. I bypassed the resistor and wrapping it around the sparkplug cable seems to work fine. Trailtech does note in the manual possible causes for an unstable tach reading so I'd suspect issues with an unstable tach reading to be installation caused vice equipment failure. Regarding the speed sensor, I used the replacement magnetic bolt. Problem with that approach was that it forces the placement of the sensor way down the brake caliper and caused the sensor to extend out a bit because of an obstruction on the caliper. Problem with that is the hole to mount the sensor would be very near the edge of the caliper. To fix that, I reshaped the tab on the sensor so the sensor would sit flush with the edge of the caliper. Seems to work fine. Last problem I had was the indicator lights in the dashboard are pretty dim in direct sunlight. I replaced them with 9000 mcd LEDs. The LEDs are brighter and the indicators can now be seen in direct sunlight the only problem one is the right turn indicator but I think that is due to the dispersion pattern of the LED(20 degree). I may go to a higher output LED or one with a broader dispersion (30+ degree) but want to ride with the current setup more first.