Don't care about being fast

Does anybody else put a low priority on being fast? Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the skills of people who can really move. I just know for myself that I don't particularly care about being fast. My interest is in being able to go where I want to go, to enjoy the ride and to not hurt myself in the process. This mirrors my approach to riding on the street - I'd much rather take my time, enjoy the sights and arrive in one piece than beat my last time down a widing canyon road. Am I the only one?

I'm not that concerned with being fast when I ride.. I'm at the point where I want to learn proper techniques for operating and controlling the bike, and doing those things safely. Once I have that down then I'll worry about "fast" a little more... But fun is more important, that's why we do it. ?

Does anybody else put a low priority on being fast? Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the skills of people who can really move. I just know for myself that I don't particularly care about being fast. My interest is in being able to go where I want to go, to enjoy the ride and to not hurt myself in the process. This mirrors my approach to riding on the street - I'd much rather take my time, enjoy the sights and arrive in one piece than beat my last time down a widing canyon road. Am I the only one?

Whatever style of riding makes you happy is the right style.?

I personally prefer a faster pace (when I'm able :ride: ), but I'm just a life long power junkie.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. To the earlier poster, I'm talking about trail riding not track riding.

To clarify, I do like to twist the throttle now and then, but only for that brief accelerative burst (well....if you can call it a "burst" on a KLX300!).

I will admit to riding a little slower than I can ride on the trails. I ride because I love the outdoors and the challege of a good trail. Trail riding is more about the experience of getting there. That being said, I love to rip it up in the wide open or less technical parts, and I love climbing hills. Thats why I have a 450X. Absolutely perfect bike for me. I doubt I would enjoy a 450R as much.

I like being in control and learning the skills to be smooth, then the speed comes naturally to me. I don't like riding out of control, but I cant stand going real slow and putzing around either.

I'm the "older dude" that rarely crashes, but is always right behind you when you turn your head. I've learned to let the young ones take the big risks cuz it seems important to them. I follow a step behind and don't make the mistakes that the leaders make. This keeps me at work every Monday. After a couple lengthy stays in the ICU, my need to be first went away. You can have the podium, I'm going to work on Monday, so I can be out here again the following Sunday.

Have Fun, Ride Safe, Support the Sport

• Like 1

I hope noone mistook my earlier post and thought I was advocating riding dangerously, stupidly, or over your head. Like a lot of others on here, I have a family to support, bills to pay, etc. Riding within one's limits is always the smart choice, maybe even moreso when it's being done in the woods and miles from the truck. I will say that carrying a certain amount of speed whenever and wherever possible does a lot to 'plane out' the suspension, making for a much smoother ride and increases the amount of ride time from not taking as much of a physical beating.

Shake, you might be surprised by the 450R as a woods bike. I bought my '06 with the sole intent of setting it up for the woods and with the right parts and adjustments, it makes for a great off-roader.?