missing o-ring on chain, ok for 1 more ride?

While cleaning the drive chain I noticed that one of the links is missing an o-ring. Won't be able to get to my cycle shop til Monday to get one. I was planning on going for a ride tomorrow. Is a missing o-ring enough to take a pass on the ride?

How do you plan on replacing it? Ride it!?

My problem is, I started riding WAY before o-ring chains became available.(70's) I can't believe anyone even checks the o-rings:busted:

So, the thought of not riding because of an o-ring is a bit amusing for an old fart like me.

Cool, thanks for the info. My allergies were out of control this morning when I woke up, so I had to pass on the ride anyway.

In response to klxd, I'm pretty sure the chain is the original one, as there was no master link on it when I bought it. It's an 03, so 5 years or so. Most if not all of the o-rings have lots of itty bitty little cracks across them. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

How do you know when you need to replace a chain? Should it be done after x miles?

A new chain is in the cards sounds like. The seals are toast.

However, if it is not stretched and you can keep it clean and oiled (more important now that the seals are breaking down) you can keep using it.

It is fine.

It will not brake. Sure, the chain will require regular maintanance which is needed by a non-O-ring chain from here on out, but it will be fine for many more rides to come if is not stretched (this happens as the bushings wear).

Maybe ask Santa for a new chain and sprockets?

Until then dont worry about it.

Cheers

Good to know,thanks. I'll order up a new chain in a few weeks and keep my old one around for piecemeal links. I like knowing how many miles parts have on them anyway.

What's the most common chain problem scenario when you are out in the boonies? A chain problem is what worries me most (maybe unfounded?) since I'd also lose the ability to hold the back tire in gear if need be.