Case gasket removal?

How do you guys get this dang gasket off?!

I mean I could scrape it off with a knife, and i started that way but I was kinda worried about some of the metal flaking off?

I also thought about using something to soften up the glue, like brake cleaner, or something similar.. but not sure if i should be spraying that inside my engine? ?

I'm getting ready to bake the bearings out of the case lol so I didn't want that gasket on there to start on fire (since we have a gas oven and all)

Razor blade ... and patience!

i used permatex gasket remover on my cases works super good. it can also be used to clean up powervalve parts on two strokes, makes them like chrome. you can probably find it at most auto parts stores. i got mine at autozone

make sure you use a mask and nitrile gloves. this stuff burns the skin and if breathed in can be harmful!!!

jimmy v.

Haha that sounds like a job I don't want to be doing...

Plus we have razor blades here! One more question, does it have to be absolutely spotless? I mean I'm getting it really well with a razor blaze, but im worried about gouging the metal, these little bastards are sharp! Anyway, theres little spots where it's not quite as shiny as the other places, will that make a difference?

Haha that sounds like a job I don't want to be doing...

Plus we have razor blades here! One more question, does it have to be absolutely spotless? I mean I'm getting it really well with a razor blaze, but im worried about gouging the metal, these little bastards are sharp! Anyway, theres little spots where it's not quite as shiny as the other places, will that make a difference?

dude the permatex gasket remover acts like paint stripper.

it will disolve anything that is not the original case. i'm trying to say it works really good. i think you can even get it at the tt store. me personally i would like to have the cleanest level surface to mate the case halves together.

I went through this tonight removing my left side crank cover gasket. what a ****ing headache, took me a good 2-3 hours. I wouldnt recommend using a razor blade, one little gouge and your looking at replacing your case..

I used the edge of a CD and brake cleaner. The first time I didnt get every little piece of baked on paper off, and when I put oil in the engine side it started seaping out. I had to drain all the oil, take the case off again and spend another hour and a half getting it spotless. after that it isnt leaking (re-used new gasket). so yes, try and get it spotless.