Why do so many riders not have a license?

I got a DS bike and went and got insurance and a permit. All it takes to get the permit was to take a few written tests. I had to take more than the average Class C driver since I have a class A but it's no big deal.

I have asked a few other riders I have seen about the DMV riding test and so far none even had a permit! What happens if you get stopped or worse and you don't have a licence or permit to be riding on the street?

I imagine that the ticket must be quite expensive.

I chock this up to the great american past time of Lazy and/or Vanity. My first driver's license was obtained on a motorcycle, so I've had my endorsement since day 1, but like you say, it's not hard. The only reasons I've ever heard were they "just haven't done it yet" or they were "afraid they may fail and have to retest." For some reason this is of great concern to some adults.

You can ride a new bike off the lot (so to speak) and most dealers couldn't care less if you do/don't have a MC endorsement. It's against the law to ride w/o one (at least here) so how can it be lawful to let a newbie ride off the lot w/o one???

You can ride a new bike off the lot (so to speak) and most dealers couldn't care less if you do/don't have a MC endorsement. It's against the law to ride w/o one (at least here) so how can it be lawful to let a newbie ride off the lot w/o one???

Ditto...I'd be willing to bet that if you get stopped, they'd impound the bike.

I'm insured with Geico and the first thing they asked for was my DL number to

verify that I had my endorsement. Once I had an established motorcycle

policy, they didn't ask on any of my other bikes.

I'd be surprised if they could get insurance without an endorsement. It seems

like a no-brainer for insurance companies to verify that info. SO, logic tells

me that if they don't have an endorsement, there's a good possibility that

they're riding without insurance too...

Of course, I could me smokin' something too! ?

If ya cant pass the test you should not be riding!?

First, I agree...a little homework so ya know what the test is going to test you on, and a little practice goes a long way.

That said, this makes a lotta sense on the surface, but the test is 'not a real circumstance' and IMHO doesn't do a good job of determining if you can handle yourself on the public roadway. I think some effort put into making it a real 'road capability' test would go far to help the scene.

Just my $.02

Ditto...I'd be willing to bet that if you get stopped, they'd impound the bike.

I'm insured with Geico and the first thing they asked for was my DL number to

verify that I had my endorsement. Once I had an established motorcycle

policy, they didn't ask on any of my other bikes.

I'd be surprised if they could get insurance without an endorsement. It seems

like a no-brainer for insurance companies to verify that info. SO, logic tells

me that if they don't have an endorsement, there's a good possibility that

they're riding without insurance too...

Of course, I could me smokin' something too! ?

Some states don't require insurance on Motorcycles....WA is one of them.

Being busted without insurance (in states that require it) will hit them a lot harder than the lack of a m/c endorsement. In Georgia, anyone caught operating a vehicle on a public roadway without insurance gets a chauffeured ride to the county jail, no get out of jail free cards...it's mandatory. And yes, the vehicle gets impounded.

By heck he's right...

http://www.edgarsnyder.com/auto-accident/resources/insurance/washington.html

I'd think that would leave a person vulnerable if the cyclist caused a major

accident or heaven forbid, someone's death.

Yep, I don't need it. Have it as part of an umbrella policy for all my vehicles, but in WA, it's not required. I actually had a cop pull me over and give me a ticket for not having proof. I had to goto court, subpoened the officer, and the judge informed him of the law. My ticket was dismissed, and all I got outta the deal was time off work, and a hassle ?

So, even to the police, it's not intuitive.