Dual sport helmet on paved road???

What helmet do you wear for paved roads on your dual sport?:thumbsup:

Thinking of getting a full face helmet for those short trips on the interstate, or to the store, so I can lock the helmet on the bars and do not have to bother with stowing goggles. Also, at 75mph my dirt helmet gets kinda windy :ride:

Any suggestions:confused:

There are two bitchin helmets out for this purpose. The Arai XD and the Shoie Hornet. Both awesome, both in the $400 range.

You can get a Simpson GS-3 and add a Face Shield

(when ordered) for $239 if the Arai and Shoei models are too pricey.

You can get a Simpson GS-3 and add a Face Shield

(when ordered) for $239 if the Arai and Shoei models are too pricey.

I wear a Simpson GS-3; priced right, but . . . awfully noisy at highway speeds--gotta tape up some air inlets, maybe foam weatherstrip the gap between the transparent face shield and the helmet chin guard, to quieten things . . .

GMX.jpg

I have one of these....

airoh_tyger_1.gif

In this color scheme....

TYGER.jpg

These make good street helmets... Don't care for them as much off road. In dry climates they would be OK, But for humid areas they fog pretty bad when breathing heavy in hard sections off road. This one is an Airoh Tyger. I bought it off of Ebay.de(germany). If I recall it was about $300 delivered to the US. With the weak US doaalr might cost ya a bit more now. It is a very nice, light helmet.

For less than the cost of an Arai DS helmet, I have an offroad helmet and a full face helmet. On the highway offroad helmets are cold, rain punishes you and the visor is quite literally a pain in the neck. So my offroad helmet only comes off the closet shelf for offroad riding. All of my trips around town and on the highway are in a full face street helmet.

There are plenty of really good, relatively inexpensive helmets out there. So buy one of each.

For less than the cost of an Arai DS helmet, I have an offroad helmet and a full face helmet. On the highway offroad helmets are cold, rain punishes you and the visor is quite literally a pain in the neck. So my offroad helmet only comes off the closet shelf for offroad riding. All of my trips around town and on the highway are in a full face street helmet.

There are plenty of really good, relatively inexpensive helmets out there. So buy one of each.

+1 :thumbsup:

I've got a bunch of helmets, but i mostly wear an agv modular one. It's easy to flip up the whole front, is fine on the hiway, i don't have to take it off when getting gas, or stopping to talk. If i'm in tight stuff or a lot of shadows, i flip the clear lens up, since i have prescription goggles on underneath (wiley-x).

No visor, but on many dual sport rides you spend time doing 60+ mph, so a visor becomes a wind catcher.

The helmet is for protection, not a certain look.. I don't mind wearing mismatched gear.. some street, some moto.. wear what works & protects the best for your riding circumstances.

scotty:cool:

For me it depends on what kind of riding I will be doing. If there is very much dirt involved, I wear my dirt bike helmet. If I'm on the road, I'll use my street bike helmet.

+2 :thumbsup: I've got a awesome offroad helmet, went out and bought a fullface helmet for the street.

anyone try those half face helmets that flip up?

That Simpson has a poor reputation. They should stick to racecars. Street helmets work when you are on the pavement but you will look like a confused monkey. Get the Shoie or Arai if you have any way to afford it and don't look back. They look great, feel great, are designed not to do weird things at 70mph and work perfect for a DS or SuperMoto. Also a street helmet doesn't have the sun visor and you WILL miss it.

That Simpson has a poor reputation.
My Simpson helmet has a POOR REPUTATION?

Oh, dear.

Now, I'm crushed. CRUSHED!

What helmet do you wear for paved roads on your dual sport?:thumbsup:

Thinking of getting a full face helmet for those short trips on the interstate, or to the store, so I can lock the helmet on the bars and do not have to bother with stowing goggles. Also, at 75mph my dirt helmet gets kinda windy :ride:

Any suggestions:confused:

I prefer to keep my head off the pavement even with a helmet on!

Whatever helmet you get make sure it is snell and dot approved.

Read this entire article before you get too hung up on a Snell certification:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I can't find it online, but in the followup article it says Snell decided to go to the softer ECE/BSI standards for their future certifications. Which is pretty interesting in light of how they blasted Motorcyclist for advocating them in that article. You still don't see many high end helmet manufacturers advertising in Motorcyclist after printing that piece.

Both my street and offroad helmets are Snell 2000. But personally, after reading that article, I will be a lot more interested in European certifications for any future helmets.

+3 If you watch the major online stores, you can get nice street and off-road helmets for pretty low prices when they do their closeouts.

I have a HJC AC-X2 dirt helmet and a Shoei Multitec full-face flip-up for road trips and an Arai XD for everything in between. But, I use the Arai XD more than both of the others combined. I have taken a 2 week road trip with the XD on my GS and ridden the White Rim trail with the XD on my DR650. It is the most versatile helmet I've ever found. If I had to have only one, that would be it.

Sorry, that Simpson is a piece of crap. I had one and immediately got rid of it. Shield doesn't fit and is very difficult to open/close because of the stupid "post in hole" locking deal.

I got an Airoh Tyger also. Not DOT, but UK "gold sticker" certified for racing, good enough for me. With the face shield raised you can wear goggles.