Yz 125 What Was The Best Year Ever Made?

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL YZ 125'S. I HAD A 93,97,99,2000, AND AN 02 IN MY OPINION MY 2000 WAS FASTEST FROM THE FACTORY WHATS YOUR GUYS FAVORITE YEAR AND WHY? :thumbsup:

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL YZ 125'S. I HAD A 93,97,99,2000, AND AN 02 IN MY OPINION MY 2000 WAS FASTEST FROM THE FACTORY WHATS YOUR GUYS FAVORITE YEAR AND WHY? :ride:

Mine was a :thumbsup: 98 YZ125! All stock with just a pipe, silencer, reeds & that bike was a screamer lol. To this day, I have never rode a faster 125, big bore & all. Dont know what it was about it but man that bike moved. A buddy of mine weights 300lbs & would still pull him up in 4th with out trying! Although I did read an old magazine that did a write up on that year & was said that 98 was suppose to be one of the top years for YZ.

Maybe it was because I powder coated the frame orange & put black plastics on it! You know it gives it like 30 extra hp.. :rant:

Ive have always heard that the 99 was the best year ever.

I like the 6 speeders better as the fivers seem to fall out of the band pretty easy compared to the others.

I rode a 98 yz125 that had a noleen pipe on it and that thing screamed like no other. I also owned a 99 yz125 that ran pretty good, but I think my 95 cr125 was a better motor than the 99 yz.

IMHO, the 2008. Available new right now, stock suspension is probably better than works suspension of 7 years ago, light as a feather, 6-speed, great all-around engine. The good old days are right now, for the YZ125 :thumbsup:.

Some of the old bikes felt really fast but could not touch the new bikes. 93-95 cr 125 's had a really good motor for the time. They only had about 28 hp. Todays yz has about 35

Best yz 125 made is by far the 2008 In 2006 they changed the motor a little and the suspension from the 05. Then in 08 they updated the suspension again.

My only other choice for a bike would be a ktm 125/144

The other reason I would say 05- 08 instead of the older bikes is the weight. New bike lost 10 lbs compared to the previous versions. I desperately want one.

The beauty of a 125 has always been its light weight.

+1 for the '05 up the weigh and better suspenion are huge pluses in the handling plus the new motor is just that much better don't get me wrong I love the older motor but the new motor is lighter more compact and puts out more power. The KTM is the only 125 I have riden that compares possibly a TM powerwise.

Interesting the newest one i had was an 02 and after they made the swich to 4 strokes i figured they would slac on innovative ideas for the 125 but now im going to have to buy a new one after reading this lol:worthy: praise the two stroke :thumbsup:

what were the HP #'s for the '98 and '99?

i had a 1998 and it seemed pretty dang quick! LOL

Ya i think i got my 2000 confused with my 99 i think my 99 was faster. whatever they did the engine was fast. I know that for Suzuki the 96 had the fastest engine and the factory bikes were using the top ends off them till like 99 which i thought was funny. I know some of the fast guys switch stuff off different years to peace together a great bike.

I have a 2005 and i loveee it, yeah they may have updated the suspension in 06/08 and tweaked the motor but let's be real here, is that going to actually make you ride faster or better? No.

Had a 2000 and loved it. Great bike, indestructible.

I have a 2005 and i loveee it, yeah they may have updated the suspension in 06/08 and tweaked the motor but let's be real here, is that going to actually make you ride faster or better? No.

I had a 2005 also a veary good bike. But now I have a 2008 and can say the suspension is a lot nicer. Does it make you faster? No but it is still better.

IMO, suspension work WILL allow you to ride faster.

IMO, suspension work WILL allow you to ride faster.

All I was refering to was the difference inbetween the 05-08 The 08 suspension is a lot nicer than the 05. Would you turn faster lap times probally not. Would I give up my 08 suspension for 05 NEVER!!

02 yz125 only mod is 52t on rear..... really creates smiles

Well i think i have come to the conlusion that all Yamahas are sweet :thumbsup: and awesome but the moters out of a 98 or 99 seemed to catch peoples attention and i remember my 99 being amazing. I have also come to the conlustion that like 06 through 08 have great suspension. Hale to the YZ :ride: and to the guy wondering if bikes make you go faster. Yes they do and when you are a pro everything maters, keep in mind Rickey Charmichals bikes cost about 75,000 $ they had stuff you have never herd of on those bikes so when a regular pro such as i shows up i think i need all the little edges i can get.:rant:

As is almost always the case, the current model is the best ever. However, compared to it's competition in each model year, I would think the 1980 really was really successful, and the 1998 or 1999 model was rated as much better than its competitiors.