Sign in to follow this  

Shade Awning

With summer coming, I would like to buy a portable awning to provide me with some shade while at the track. Can you recommend a decent one?

Thanks,

Easy-up. But my friend just got me an awsome chair. Just one of those nylon aluminum chairs but with a built in awning. He got it at BJ's warehouse for 20 bucks. I used it already and works great.

With summer coming, I would like to buy a portable awning to provide me with some shade while at the track. Can you recommend a decent one?

Thanks,

WALMART sells 10x10 canopies for about $100:thumbsup:

Costco sells the cheap version of an EZ Up for under $100. They will last several years if they don't get carried away by a windstorm, which will wipe out just about any brand of easy up awning.

Costco sells the cheap version of an EZ Up for under $100. They will last several years if they don't get carried away by a windstorm, which will wipe out just about any brand of easy up awning.

Speaking of that. I almost got hit by one during a little windstorm at the track, I was just sitting on my dirtbike, wind started picking up super fast and all I see is this huge white thing coming. It hit some guys nice Infinity QX right next to me and put a nice scratch down the hood. Yikes. Luckily it wasn't my car or tent:crazy:

ebay. my dad got a black one for pretty cheap brand new. Its a fake brand but seems to work just as fine as our other name brand ones.

ezup makes you pay for their name, get a FIRST UP 10x10 from walmart i got mine on sale for 83 bucks

They must not have them online?

The cheapest one I found was $200 after online discount...

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=awning&N=0&Ntt=awning&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search〈=en-US

I've got that one--Caravan brand. Sucker is solid. I've used mine almost exclusively in the sand and everything still slides/collapses as it should. My buddy has some $100 unit and the difference in build quality/design is noticeable. But that's not to say the $100 ones aren't worth $100. In many cases, $100 worth of shade is all you need.

Only thing I like about his vs. mine is mine weights at least twice as much (it's pretty heavy) and doesn't collapse quite as small. Although the weight is an advantage if it gets breezy and you've forgotten to anchor is with tie-downs and fuel jugs.

IMO, can't go wrong with a Caravan. Every bit as good as an EZ-Up (which I've never owned but I have used them and been around them). I like that you can get parts for them if something does break.

$0.02

Word of caution... I've had better luck with all metal frames than the ones that have plastic that connects the outer frame to the center. I use one several times a week for work during the summer and, while I think the two I use the most might actually both be EZup brand, the one with an all metal frame has been night-and-day superior to the plastic one. It doesn't bind up during setup/takedown, hasn't broken, and holds the canopy up much better than the flimsy plastic, especially if it rains.

My personal one (Qwik Shade brand IIRC) has those plastic rods I don't really like that hold up the canopy, but since I don't use it all that much and am very gentle, I've made it work. I'd say it depends on how hard you're going to be on it, how patient you are, and how much you plan to use it. :thumbsup:

I have an EZ-UP that's been around for 10 + years. The fabric finally wore out. Very expensive to replace. So I bought one of these a couple of years ago http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2276689&cp=2057781.714752.712492&pageType=family&parentPage=family. No problems yet. Wait until they go on sale. I think I paid about $70.

I bought a silver one at Dicks Sporting Goods. It was $70 and came with a storage bag.