Sign in to follow this  

First ride after hip replacement

Left hip was replaced on 31 Dec 07. I've been working on bikes (2 stroke top ends, etc) to keep my sanity. Today was my first ride on the XR650R. It is set up for street now, with Avon Gripster tires. Throwing a leg over the bike and kicking it is no problem. However, I did feel a little rusty, so I chose a back road with some 25-35 mph posted twisties and enjoyed leaning the bike over. Nothing crazy just feeling the road. Then I practiced quick stops from 60mph. I would select a marker that I wanted to stop beside, ride toward it until I felt challenged and then brake hard without locking the brakes. The oversized front rotor is nice. Slightly overshot my target the first time. After that I was on target and I kept on doing this until I was completely comfortable with hard braking.

I wanted to jump on the CR250R and hit some dirt but it is under repair. My son, Nate, crashed and the 250 needs a new exhaust can and plastics ($$$$). Nate is healing quickly (3rd degree shoulder sprain).

It is good to be riding again. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Left hip was replaced on 31 Dec 07. I've been working on bikes (2 stroke top ends, etc) to keep my sanity. Today was my first ride on the XR650R. It is set up for street now, with Avon Gripster tires. Throwing a leg over the bike and kicking it is no problem. However, I did feel a little rusty, so I chose a back road with some 25-35 mph posted twisties and enjoyed leaning the bike over. Nothing crazy just feeling the road. Then I practiced quick stops from 60mph. I would select a marker that I wanted to stop beside, ride toward it until I felt challenged and then brake hard without locking the brakes. The oversized front rotor is nice. Slightly overshot my target the first time. After that I was on target and I kept on doing this until I was completely comfortable with hard braking.

I wanted to jump on the CR250R and hit some dirt but it is under repair. My son, Nate, crashed and the 250 needs a new exhaust can and plastics ($$$$). Nate is healing quickly (3rd degree shoulder sprain).

It is good to be riding again. :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you! God Bless and don't get hurt having fun...well, inless you want too, I am not one to press on someone what to do:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Riding 4 months after major surgery? Right on :thumbsup:

So far I have been lucky, but there is no telling what the future holds, so I do like to hear good stories like that. Congradulations, hope you are back to 100% soon.

• Like 1

Needsprayer,

It is great to hear your recovery has gone well. It is a cool thing to hear your enthusiasm for getting back on the bikes. I can imagine how hard it has been to be working on the bikes while waiting to be healed enough to actually ride.

As it is said, patience can be a virtue. Keep things moderate for now so that you can heal & recover as good as you can be. Your riding prowess will naturally follow.

Kudos to you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I expect to hit dirt by the end of May. Now I need to lose the 15 lbs that I picked up after surgery. All is good, I have started a walking routine. 2.5 miles is my longest walk so far.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I expect to hit dirt by the end of May. Now I need to lose the 15 lbs that I picked up after surgery. All is good, I have started a walking routine. 2.5 miles is my longest walk so far.

hiya Sir, get well soon!!

send my regards to ya family. :thumbsup:

• Like 1