oil leak, must be CS seal

Im assuming that the stream of oil coming from behind the CS sprocket is my CS seal? Im at 11,000 miles, so it seems due. Just want to make sure that is is not anything else before doing this.

Yup, time for a seal, CS spacer and O-Ring.

Be sure to use a impact driver to loosen the two flat head screws. They are loctited in.

Thanks William,

unfortuneately, I found once the cs spacer and seal were out that the bearing is shot. It was strange, because the retainer was all pushed out and the seal was what was pushing it out. Behind the seal, everything was fragged and the copper colored bearing cover is all chewed up. How hard is it to replace that bearing?

Just as an add note for others, my gearchange shaft has always had a slight leak and it is easy to mistake the CS shaft seal as the culprit.

Punisher I'm not sure about the bearing removal, never done it, sorry. looking at the manual it mentions specific bearing removal and pressing tools.

Pull engine, split cases, press bearing out. I just did it yesterday.

Probably need to replace the bushing in the tranny and the gear there too. I'd also replace the other bearing on that shaft, at a minimum.

oh I hope it doesnt mean splitting the cases. I am wondering what made the seal push out the retainer, the retainer is totally shot, and the spacer is galled and has wierd ridges that are like burrs along the edges of it.

ah, you beat me to it William. Splitting the cases might be beyond my capability. I am feeling poor all of a sudden.

Pull engine, split cases, press bearing out. I just did it yesterday.

william, you have this technique of making things sound easy:crazy:

damn Rory, sorry to hear about your new problem.

oh I hope it doesnt mean splitting the cases. I am wondering what made the seal push out the retainer, the retainer is totally shot, and the spacer is galled and has wierd ridges that are like burrs along the edges of it.

The bearing is pressure fed, hence the seal retainer. A loose CS causes the bushing to get beat up, which in turn can trash the bearing. The CS spacer gets beat up by the loose sprocket and failed bearing. Most of the time all this is started and caused by merely a loose CS nut.

william, you have this technique of making things sound easy:crazy:

damn Rory, sorry to hear about your new problem.

The hard part is getting off your butt and getting to work. Biting the bullet, you know.

Key too is having the tools. I did plunk down the bucks to buy all the special factory tools too. Sort of a waste of money but it is nice to be able to have everything go smoothly.

yeah, I coulda done the cs spacer and seal, but not this. The sprocket and nut were both on solid per the locktite fix. There was no wiggle or play, but oh well. I am either just going to get the cs fixed locally, or send it in to Eddie for some more go also.

good luck my friend......we have some grange trips and SOW this summer so get it fixed!

The hard part is getting off your butt and getting to work

you know me well. :thumbsup:

sounds strange.post a pic.

pm replied.

perfect time for a stroker.