Sign in to follow this  

Best you have owned?

I had an indepth conversation with a family friend on bikes he has owned in the past and his favorites. After owning several bikes i have come to the realization that the newest and latest bikes are not always the best. For example my family friend swears that his 1999 rm250 was the fastest bike he had ever had. He said it had a light switch powerband that hit hard and was the funnest bike he had ever owned. My question to all of you is what was your favorite bike that you owned and why?

i loved my 2000 CR 125, such a fun bike. my 06 YZ450 is prob up there too.

1985 CR125 & 1986 CR250

Prolly cuz I was a teenager, and "those were the days" :thumbsup::ride:

My 02 YZ250F has been my favorite bike tp date. It did have a slightly top-heavy feel to it, but the motor was awseom from bottom to top, it handled great, and was reliable as hell! My 05 CRF250R has been a pretty good, but the motor doesn't seem to have the hit of the YZF and the front end doesn't seem to stick as well in turns.

1985 CR125 & 1986 CR250

Prolly cuz I was a teenager, and "those were the days" :ride::rant:

Roger that!!!!!!

I never OWNED a 86 CR250, but I did get the chance to ride one, on more than a few occasions. DAMN, that was one fast bike, and the forks were something else (compared to everything else available at the time).

However, the fastest bike (and my fave, BTW) just happens to be the 07 YZ450F I ride now. Excellent suspension and great power keeps me on my toes and in the top 10 of the Veteran class.:thumbsup:

This is my first post, I've been a lurker for a little while. My "best bike" would have to be the 1982 Honda XR200R that I stupidly got rid of.:ride: Smoked like a 2-stroke because I'm pretty sure it was the stock top-end, but if I leaned and clutched right, I could get a 3rd gear wheelie out of it. Started first kick, no matter what. By the way, excellent forum. :thumbsup:

I had an indepth conversation with a family friend on bikes he has owned in the past and his favorites. After owning several bikes i have come to the realization that the newest and latest bikes are not always the best. For example my family friend swears that his 1999 rm250 was the fastest bike he had ever had. He said it had a light switch powerband that hit hard and was the funnest bike he had ever owned. My question to all of you is what was your favorite bike that you owned and why?

Bike that was most fun was my 1978 Yamaha TT 500 thumper. This was before 4 strokes were the way to go. They were street rods with knobbies and no lights. I modified it after a couple years of riding it stock (the whoops sucked with no suspension). I put a banana swing arm on it, Fox shocks and air forks and a 5.90 wide knobby in the back. Slight bore done, O/S oil line, aftermarket air-filter to help it breath and a header, pipe and Supertrapp silencer. That thing just trucked. No one liked riding behind me due to the roost it would throw without trying.

my 04 wr450 but a close second is my 84 xr350 - wich I still had that bike as well.

I'm lucky to say that I still have two of my favorite bikes I've ever owned.

My 125 I've gotten to a point where it epitomizes all that is a 125 two-stroke... a lightswitch powerband with a rocketship topend, light as a feather, like a hot knife through butter in the turns, and one of the most rewarding and fun things I've ever experienced in motocross when ridden right.

When I get tired of having to wring it's neck and torture the clutch on it to get out of corners, though, I love stepping up to my 200. One of the best looking bikes I've owned IMO, enough grunt to embarass most 450 riders, and with a chassis that is much, much closer to a 125 than any 250 I've ever ridden. It is such a well rounded bike that I can't believe KTM stopped with the SX models after '04... I know not the only one that thinks the 200SX is the best bike they've ever owned.

The durability and reliability on both has also been outstanding.

I gotta throw in my 87 YZ250...it was deceivingly fast....never felt like it. It was sure easy to go fast on that thing, although it wasn't quick to get up to speed.

just like the original posters family friend. my 1999 rm250. the thing can do it all! it was (is) my first big bike and i have found no reason to update the thing. i race motocorss with it and the thing is excellent, i love it when people ask about it before the races and the look on thier faces when i tell them that its a 99, then all of a sudden im spanking them on it!!!!! its almost 10 years old!!!! not bad for a bike that i got for 1000$!!!!!!!!!!!

i would NEVER get rid of that bike, the thing is just plain reliable, cheap to maintain, i think i might have to add a pick of her......

100_2380.jpg

this is during the AMP series race finale at hollister hills, bike didnt miss a beat and i won a trophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1998 KX 60, was my first "real" dirtbike, closely followed by dads 74's Suzuki TM 250, then my 08 RM 250 for enjoyment (fear?)

after re reading all these posts, i think im gonna have to go hug my bike..........

• Like 1

I owned a '90 YZ250 years ago that was an amazing overall bike. The power was smooth and fast, the forks were flawless, the rear suspension was great until the shock got hot, but overall was very good. Add that to the fact it was dead reliable and for the time, it was like riding a works bike. I owned a CRF450R until last year, and it was a better bike, but it didn't have the handling of any of my old YZ's. Of course, it was so friggin' fast, it more than made up for any loss of cornering ability...

I've had an 84 XR200, 85 CR250, 86 ATC 250R, 93 Honda Shadow, and my current DRZ400.

The CR250 easily was the most fun I've had on two motorized wheels.:thumbsup:

I wish I lived in a place that would allow me to plate a CR250 and use it for getting to the trails as I don't have a truck to haul a bike with.:ride:

Given my current situation, the DRZ is working out quite nicely. Just too bloody heavy for my slight 147lb self.

Enjoy:ride: