metal filings in oil... as the primary nut turns......

Need help here.... changed my oil today 7000 kilometres...oil kinda had a silvery kind of swirl to it also lots of chunks at the bottom of my oil catch basin,

some will stick to a magnet some wont (steel and aluminum)

Oil filter was also full of filings at the bottom of the pleats.....

I have changed the oil more than the recommended intervals, had the first dealer service done at 1000 k.......things were good.....even ran synthetic after break in......I did notice the other day when I fired it up to go to work it was making more noise than it usually does sounded like bearing rattle ...It caught my attention ....didnt think to much about it at the time as it quietened down after it warmed up,it was a cool morning....now I am no dummy something is seriously wrong here....but what....I have drove the dr quite mildly got on it hard the odd time but I have never tapped the rev limiter once!!!

This is not good i am upset that my rides motor is probably F*****d:censored: :mad:

Does anyone know if the warranty is still good after you add a can and an fcr carb.........I have 1 month left on the factory warranty.....

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

:thumbsup::ride::rant::lol:

Need help here.... changed my oil today 7000 kilometres...oil kinda had a silvery kind of swirl to it also lots of chunks at the bottom of my oil catch basin,

some will stick to a magnet some wont (steel and aluminum)

Oil filter was also full of filings at the bottom of the pleats.....

I have changed the oil more than the recommended intervals, had the first dealer service done at 1000 k.......things were good.....even ran synthetic after break in......I did notice the other day when I fired it up to go to work it was making more noise than it usually does sounded like bearing rattle ...It caught my attention ....didnt think to much about it at the time as it quietened down after it warmed up,it was a cool morning....now I am no dummy something is seriously wrong here....but what....I have drove the dr quite mildly got on it hard the odd time but I have never tapped the rev limiter once!!!

This is not good i am upset that my rides motor is probably F*****d:censored: :mad:

Does anyone know if the warranty is still good after you add a can and an fcr carb.........I have 1 month left on the factory warranty.....

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

:thumbsup::ride::rant::lol:

They certainly can't blame a carb or pipe for a mechanical issue unless it's caused by some lean jetting sorching something.

And as far as hard riding goes I can tell you the DR can take repeated flailings and floggings of epic proportions along with mass visatation to the rev limiter and not bat an eye. You haven't caused any issue with your bike.... but sh*t happens. Get it to the dealer before the warranty goes away.

They certainly can't blame a carb or pipe for a mechanical issue unless it's caused by some lean jetting sorching something.

And as far as hard riding goes I can tell you the DR can take repeated flailings and floggings of epic proportions along with mass visatation to the rev limiter and not bat an eye. You haven't caused any issue with your bike.... but sh*t happens. Get it to the dealer before the warranty goes away.

Thanks Rob for the quick response, should I put the old bst carb back on before I take it in.......for extra insurance?? more aluminum in oil than steel....it looks like metallic paint when poured down a sheet of cardboard.......I guess we will see how the dealer is going to treat me.........

P.S......no needle yet (not to worried about that now)

You mentioned a lean condition could do some damage.........that has not happened at all!!

Put it back to stock before taking it in. I don't think the metal in the oil has anything to do with your changes but you don't want to give the dealer anything to hang their hat on.

If the dealer says not to worry just ride it then put your concerns in writing to both the dealer and Suzuki so that if anything happens 6 months later you have a written record

maybe take a sample of the oil and take the old oil filter with you when you take it in for proof?

Its not the dealer that will refuse to warranty a repair due to aftermarket parts installed.They get paid either way...by you or zuki.

Suzuki will in fact refuse a warranty repair due to aftermarket parts or modifications within reason.And to tell the trueth I don't blame them in most cases.I have seen some seriously abused,poorly maintained and modified machines that was clearly the unit owners fault of neglect or abuse.

If the dealer is playing by the warranty rule book then you are screwed with aftermarket parts and modifications.But most dealers I have been with,or dealt with in the past do not pay that much attention to aftermarket parts or modifications as long as it did not contribute to the failure.You have to remember most shops,I know of anyway,sell and install parts like jet kits and slipons.Most folks working in the shops are also rather serious enthusiast that would probably do or have done the same mods you did.Im guilty and in the process as we speak of setting up my DR the way I want it.

Most would also want things covered just as any of us would...most also know what is a defect and what is not when they see one.

Now if suzuki requests pictures or they send out a tech for inspection the dealer is left with his hands tied,period.

Don't blame the dealer in most cases,they are just the man in the middle through the whole somewhat difficult situation.There is also alot of foot work and phone calls involved in getting things lined up and done,so be patient,especially this time of the year as things can be rather hectic and busy in a service department.Trust me I know,I did it for 15 years and could not stand to do it again.It almost ruined my motorcycle hobby having to deal with it all.

Anyway,a possible part I would suspect causing the issue thats easy to inspect,as Ive seen this happen before on several brands not just zuki,is possibly the starter clutch gear bolts have backed out.Or one may have even sheared/broke off..

Ive even seen a pressure plate bolt back off and rub the clutch cover.

Regardless the motor will need to be flushed and the screen cleaned.

Ive even seen the upper oil cooler line kink due to the angle of the bend from rubber to metal line coming from the cooler,and restrict oil flow coming from the cooler causing poor return lubrication.Something worth eyeballing on a new bike for sure.Seems the new lines tend to do it worse.

I would not disassemble the motor in anyway to check for a problem as this will also void the warranty...most mechanics hate box cases anyway.

Regardless you have a internal failure of some sort that may or may not be a major issue.Clearly a manufacturers defect in workmanship if you have never been into the motor.

Eitherway I would not run the motor anymore and make sure you wash the bike well before taking it in to the service department.Most mechanics hate chnks of mud falling all over the work station.Looks are everything when it comes to making a good impression when pictures are involved.

And yes I would put the bike back to stock form before taking it to the dealer.If nothing else but to make getting the job done by the shop much easier.

If in doubt buy the SEP contract just to cover any future related failures.

HTH

I would be inclined to want to return the bike to stock form in a case like this too but ... how do you return the modded airbox to stock form? That would be quite a trick!

I will bet the issue the primary drive nut was not torqued from the factory. I had the same issue. At first service, the oil was full of metal.

The primary drive nut was not torqued correctly at the factory and fell off sortly after.

The primary drive gear chamfered off the back of the clutch basket. Hence, the shaving in the oil.

Do a search on DR Primary Drive Nut.

It has happened before. I had my bike replaced on warranty. I could have waited month to have it rebuilt, but I want to ride not wait.

Do the search and pull the clutch cover, before you take it in to the dealer.

Good luck.

Kim

I would be inclined to want to return the bike to stock form in a case like this too but ... how do you return the modded airbox to stock form? That would be quite a trick!

That's a good point. Although the dynojet kit is well established and known to be rich if anything.... and lots of dealers install them. I can't imagine Suzuki balking at that for a mechanical unrelated issue. :thumbsup:

It seems the manufacters have really tightened up lately when it comes to warranty. If you take it in complainaing of a noise, they will just tell you it's normal. They need a pretty valid reason to get approval to teardown an engine. I would put the bike back as visually close as you can get it to stock form and take it to the dealer and get the concern documented while your warranty is valid. If your engine has a major failure, Suzuki would more times than not deny coverage if your bike is modded. It's all about $$$.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!....I filtered the old oil with a coffee filter and managed to 1/4 fill an old pill bottle,.. some pieces look like they flew off a cnc milling machine with twists and all...yikes!! ..the oil filter is completely jammed, pleats 1/2 full of chunks,twisties,flakes.....its f*****g ugly!!

I am going to put the old BST carb back on it ..........it has a dyno-jet kit, and I will leave the super-trapp on it that cant hurt anything(i hope)....

any more wisdom from you guys, the experts ......I want to here it!!!

thanks,Dirtbag

I will bet the issue the primary drive nut was not torqued from the factory. I had the same issue. At first service, the oil was full of metal.

The primary drive nut was not torqued correctly at the factory and fell off sortly after.

The primary drive gear chamfered off the back of the clutch basket. Hence, the shaving in the oil.

Do a search on DR Primary Drive Nut.

It has happened before. I had my bike replaced on warranty. I could have waited month to have it rebuilt, but I want to ride not wait.

Do the search and pull the clutch cover, before you take it in to the dealer.

Good luck.

Kim

Thanks for the help Kim......I put it back to stock this morning....fired it up just enough to adjust the old carb.......major noise seemed to be coming from the clutch area at the rear brake lever....knock :thumbsup::ride: knock knock:foul: :rant::lol::mad::o:D;)

Ive never seen or heard of the "Primary Drive Nut" backing off on a DR650.But hey anything is possible.

I would not remove the cover to inspect either.You have some sort of failure and the bike is under warranty so there is no need for you to have to look any further.Just take the bike and shavings you have found to the dealer and explain what your hearing and seeing.Let them be the ones to crack open the motor for the first time.

HTH

got the dr to the dealer today.......handed them the key .......a bag of metal filings.........and one oil filter.....with more chips jammed in it than my two sons halloween bags!!!.........tech fired it up, he says crankshaft...... we will see.

I will keep you posted.

Dirtbag

good luck bro, i know your pain>>>youl get her back soon and shel be better then ever!!!

good luck bro, i know your pain>>>youl get her back soon and shel be better then ever!!!

Thanks..................

suzuki will fix this no problem .. it is obviously a mech related failure and nothing to do with a pipe or jetting .

i had the same thing happen to me , but this time it was a husaberg counter balancer failure at 500 klm . i pulled a 75 mm piece of swarf out of my drain hole . its times like this you are glad to have warranty .

well The Jury is out!!!..........and the winner is... PRIMARY DRIVE NUT CAME LOOSE I saw the damage at the dealer this afternoon....UGLY ...it must have been chewing away slowly at the clutch basket for a while.

Every part that I could see seemed to have some damage of some kind, at close inspection metal was everywhere..

Good news er great news... Suzuki is standing behind their product!!

The dealer took full responsibility for the repair and committed to replace every component that was damaged by this failure.....which looked like pretty well every thing that moved inside the case and some things that don't move!!

BAD NEWS.....2 weeks or more to get it fixed and then the whole break-in cycle over again as the cylinder was scratched up pretty good.

I guess the oil filter was so plugged that it was bypassing it some how??

lets hope they get it right the second time!!

Good product, Good Customer Service.............Good Choice!!!

Thanks Suzuki

Dirtbag

well The Jury is out!!!..........and the winner is... PRIMARY DRIVE NUT CAME LOOSE I saw the damage at the dealer this afternoon....UGLY ...it must have been chewing away slowly at the clutch basket for a while.

Every part that I could see seemed to have some damage of some kind, at close inspection metal was everywhere..

Good news er great news... Suzuki is standing behind their product!!

The dealer took full responsibility for the repair and committed to replace every component that was damaged by this failure.....which looked like pretty well every thing that moved inside the case and some things that don't move!!

BAD NEWS.....2 weeks or more to get it fixed and then the whole break-in cycle over again as the cylinder was scratched up pretty good.

I guess the oil filter was so plugged that it was bypassing it some how??

lets hope they get it right the second time!!

Good product, Good Customer Service.............Good Choice!!!

Thanks Suzuki

Dirtbag

Great news! Are they replacing the crank as well? I wouldn't be so worried about the mains but the lower rod bearing is oil pressure feed. I'd point blank ask them if they intend to replace it if I were you. :thumbsup: