Sign in to follow this  

welding titanium

my footpegs are titanium and i need to make them taller because my right leg is shorter than the left one,i was going to weld one of those steel footpeg add on things,i forget what they are called,but can steel be welded to titanium?

In short, no. While it may be possible with the use of an intermediate material the end result wouldn't be practical. Welding titanium on its own is enough of a task.

It would be far easier to relocate the mounting bracket on the frame. Whether the frame is steel or aluminum, that route will be much simpler and cheaper.

Relocation may be the cheapest, but might be making resale tough. Can you find a replacement steel peg for your particular model and weld onto that? It would make it easiest when it's time for something new.

Relocation may be the cheapest, but might be making resale tough. Can you find a replacement steel peg for your particular model and weld onto that? It would make it easiest when it's time for something new.

+1 :thumbsup:

You might check ebay for a single peg. I know when most go out and smash one peg they buy a set of 2 (since thats how they come) to replace it. I'm sure there are alot of people out there (such as myself) with one extra peg laying around.

Ship it to me and give some good drawings and dimensions and I'll weld it for you free of charge. You pick up the shipping though. I'll even weld it on a glovebox purged with argon.:thumbsup: I'll add some titanium strip as it absolutely won't weld to steel. If you're real pleased you might send me a gift certificate to Burger King or Dairy Queen.

Craigus