Sign in to follow this  

rear spring removal help needed

Hey guys i got a new rear spring i want to install on my bike and i got the whole shock assembly off the bike and the spring is unwound soo it is no longer compressed.. The thing is i can't think of how it all comes apart to get my spring off. I tried reading the manual but these damm things are too hard to understand sometimes.. Can someone please shine some light my way to help me get my rear spring off !!!!

yes sir i did.. still don't quite understand it.. I took the lower adjustment screw part out too and still nothing else came apart to allow me to take the spring out :thumbsup:

ah i dunno then man all i got is the clymers too. somebody here should be able to chyme in adventually

I don't know about your 05' for sure but it's probably the same as my 01'. Here's how it works. Loosen the rings that put pressure on your spring all the way. Turn your shock upside down and look closely at the outer flange the spring rests on, about 1/4" in from the outside edge you should notice a small gap between it and the piece it mates with (you may need to clean to see it). If it's clean you can just make out a snap ring hiding down in that gap. Slide the outer flange off the piece it mates to in the direction of the spring (towards the top of the shock). Now you can remove that snap ring and then the outer flange and the spring will come off.

• Like 1

the bike is an 01 sorry i forgot to mention 1 of the most important things lol... I was looking at that flange and it looked like it was a 2 piece but i couldn't see how it came apart.. Tomorrow all try and clean it where the 2 pieces meat and hopefully all see that snap ring.. Thanks a million all let u guys kno how it went some time tomorrow

I don't know about your 05' for sure but it's probably the same as my 01'. Here's how it works. Loosen the rings that put pressure on your spring all the way. Turn your shock upside down and look closely at the outer flange the spring rests on, about 1/4" in from the outside edge you should notice a small gap between it and the piece it mates with (you may need to clean to see it). If it's clean you can just make out a snap ring hiding down in that gap. Slide the outer flange off the piece it mates to in the direction of the spring (towards the top of the shock). Now you can remove that snap ring and then the outer flange and the spring will come off.
Excellent description. Most of the time, the outer flange is stuck to the inner piece pretty well. Spray it down with some penetrating oil and tap the outer flange till they come apart.

HJ220063.gif

Look at #21. Part Number 21 will have to taken off. Turn the shock upside down, back off all preload, locate part 21 ,and use a small screwdriver or pick to remove it.. It will all come apart after that circlip is remove

thanks a lot guys.. The out flange was stuck on the inner piece and after some penetrating oil and force it came apart.. Once i seen the cir clip i was like ooooo thats how it works.. I managed to get it all apart..

Finally i get to put my softer spring on.. The previous owner was a heftier guy and had changed to a stiffer one.. Hopefully now when landing a big jump flat i don't bounce back off the ground.

Thanks to everyone,, i was hoping to figure it all out before next weekends ride..