Sign in to follow this  

07 WR250f AIS

Just went to the dealer and got a 07wr250, and the guy said that the bike comes very restricted and i did some research on TT and I found that a lot of smog stuff keeps the bike corked... So he said to but the AIS kit.

To me the instructions and i don't want to pay 85$ per hour for them to do it... anyone with maybe pictures or something would be great and/or instructions :thumbsup:

Also does it mess with jetting and so does taking out the baffle, removing gray wire, and snorkel? I'm also trying to get new seat foam as I am only 5'8 and find it hard to touch the ground :lol: Would a yzf seat fit? Would any yzf 250

exhaust, and header fit on it? would a wr450's exhaust muffler and header fit? :rant: I have to many questions about this beautiful bike.

Someone willing to take their time with me is awesome. :ride:

Jetting changes with the baffle removal and snorkle removal.

Grey wire and AIS, no jetting changes,

A search in the forum will lead you to many, many write ups, pictures and a few videos.

Jetting changes with the baffle removal and snorkle removal.

Grey wire and AIS, no jetting changes,

A search in the forum will lead you to many, many write ups, pictures and a few videos.

yup. grey wire is stupid. pull it out of its harness. the smog pump pumps exhaust gas into your airbox for a reburn.

the GYTR kit is 45 dollars and very simple

The thing is that I ordered a TT Ais kit and it only came with three rubber plugs with very vague instructions...:thumbsup: Should I send it back and get the gytr kit?

Also does the YZF exhaust fit on a wr250? does YZF250 seat foam fit on a wr250? Does a wr450 exhaust muffler/head fit on a wr250? please help me with all this, and as you may know 250captain,, im not the best with anything that has to do with dirtbike work :ride:

The thing is that I ordered a TT Ais kit and it only came with three rubber plugs with very vague instructions...:thumbsup: Should I send it back and get the gytr kit?

Also does the YZF exhaust fit on a wr250? does YZF250 seat foam fit on a wr250? Does a wr450 exhaust muffler/head fit on a wr250? please help me with all this, and as you may know 250captain,, im not the best with anything that has to do with dirtbike work :ride:

william will know about the exhaust capabilities but as far as I know, the head pipe is not interchangeable.

you don't even need a kit to remove the AIS. I JB welded the inside of my mikuni smog pump so if I go to a place where it is needed, it will be there, but disabled from withing.

almost all YZF 03-05 will fit WRF 03-06/yzf 06-now:wrf 07-now

with a few exceptions like airbox, numberplate( i have the 06yzf numberplate on my 06wrf, some modding required)

i think the seats are interchangeable, idk why they wouldn't be. the tanks, plastics are

yup. grey wire is stupid. pull it out of its harness. the smog pump pumps exhaust gas into your airbox for a reburn.

the GYTR kit is 45 dollars and very simple

The AIS (Air Injection system) is not a exhaust recirculating system. It simply pumps air from the airbox into the exhaust.

Best AIS removal kit is the one offered by F2Racing. In Cali, they often check for AIS. If it is missing, they may deny you access. Some put a ball bearing (very tight fit)in the rubber hose from the head. This disables the system. Then you use the head plug from the F2 kit to block off the port.

Same year YZ system will definitely fit. Do not waste the money on a new one, buy used. 1/4 the price, many nearly new take-offs about. WR450 will not fit the head.

What should i do with the TT AIS kit that came with only three plugs,,,throw it away and get the F2 one?

What should i do with the TT AIS kit that came with only three plugs,,,throw it away and get the F2 one?

It can´t be so hard for you to find out where the three pieces should fit. Just unmount the ais, remove each hoses and cork it and you´re done!

The European way to do AIS removal (without any kit) is just cutting the hoses and insert appropriate standard plug or a screw on it :thumbsup:

The TT kit (I beleive) and a few others are not reversible. You have to pull the nipple from the head and often it gets mangled in the process.

The kit from F2 is about the same price and is very nice and completely reversible, assuming you save the parts you take off! If you just want to disabole it to reduce popping or backfires, the ball bearing in the vaccum line works but you really should also install the plug in the head (goes under the Allen set screw near the ground wire connection. You'll need a ball end Allen driver to do this. If you do not use the plug, the ports can carbon up and it will be a pain to clear them. Being a Cali person, you need to keep this in mind.

When getting the kit from F2, they have this 'big kit' which I would not get, I'd only get the AIS kit, about $35.00. To jet, get a James Dean jet kit, a Kouba or Kientech Stainless extended fuel screw. Ask James to include a spare fuel screw oring, handy to put on the screw shaft for extra friction.

If all the AIS does is add air to the exhaust gases to reduce emissions why remove it at all???

A few reasons.

1. Reduce popping backfiring (main reason)

2. Cannot use a wideband to tune with it enabled

3. One less potential problem area (less parts that can go wrong)

4. Cleans up bike, less 'stuff in the way'

:thumbsup::rant: So I shouldnt throw the TT kit away but the thing is i'm new to a bigger bike, aluminum frame, and a bunch of emissions stuff, i moved up from a TTR and I dont know what you mean by the nipple on the head, and I dont know where all the AIS stuff is on the bike :ride: You have any pictures or know any website that shows the TT AIS kit being installed on a 07wr250? Do you know anyone with pictures? that would be way more helpful than telling me because i suck at this verbal mechanical stuff :lol::mad:

The AIS (Air Injection system) is not a exhaust recirculating system. It simply pumps air from the airbox into the exhaust.

Best AIS removal kit is the one offered by F2Racing. In Cali, they often check for AIS. If it is missing, they may deny you access. Some put a ball bearing (very tight fit)in the rubber hose from the head. This disables the system. Then you use the head plug from the F2 kit to block off the port.

William. I am sorry, but you will need to explain this. the exhaust comes out of a whole. goes into a valve made by mikuni, then goes into my airbox. I had to plug up my airbox.

there was nothing that went into my exhaust. so i just don't see how that could happen

:thumbsup::rant: So I shouldnt throw the TT kit away but the thing is i'm new to a bigger bike, aluminum frame, and a bunch of emissions stuff, i moved up from a TTR and I dont know what you mean by the nipple on the head, and I dont know where all the AIS stuff is on the bike :ride: You have any pictures or know any website that shows the TT AIS kit being installed on a 07wr250? Do you know anyone with pictures? that would be way more helpful than telling me because i suck at this verbal mechanical stuff :lol::mad:

Didn't the TT kit come with instructions?? Your owners manul has instructions and pictures of the system.

If I were you, I'd try to return the TT kit. Failing that, chalk it up to a learning experience.

To do the job, locate the AIS pump. It has a small tube coming from it towards the back of the cylinder head. The vacum pulses from the back of the head, operate the pump.

To disconnect, you pull the small hose off the back of the head and use the small cap to seal the nipple, I reuse the clamp from the small hose on the cap to ensure it stays put.

There is a large hose from the pump that goes to the airboot. Disconnect at the airboot and cap, reuse the clamp. Some of the kits have you pull the elbow and inset a plug. Varies from kit to kit.

The other large hose from the pump goes to the front of the head. Here is where the variation in methods varies greatly. On all kits, you remove the rubber hose and can unblot the AIS pump with all its' hoses. Thse issue here is blocking off this port. Some kits have you pull the nipple from the head. Those kits are basically irreversible. It does lend to a cleaner setup though as the head ends up looking like a YZ head. The Yamaha kit is merely a metal gap, a special gasket and a hose clamp. It works fine, is reversible but, looks homemade. Not sure if this kit also includes the port plug that goes in the head (but it should in my opinion). The F2 kit has a nice black anodized cap and high temp O-Ring to cover the nipple, held on with a set screw. You remove the Allen set screw fromn the front of the head and insert a little stepped aluminum stepped dowel, then reinsert the Allen set screw. This is what closes the port in the head.

William. I am sorry, but you will need to explain this. the exhaust comes out of a whole. goes into a valve made by mikuni, then goes into my airbox. I had to plug up my airbox.

there was nothing that went into my exhaust. so i just don't see how that could happen

You are confusing Air Injection with Exhuast Gas Recirculation. With AIS, Air comes FROM the airbox and is Injected into the exhaust System.

William and captain the saviors! :thumbsup: Is rejetting as hard as it seems or should i just not take the risk and bring it into a shop?

Rejetting is not hard, if you read the supplied instructions (hopefully, you have the James Dean kit) and read the manual to have an idea what to look for. to be honest, a lot of shops will not do a better job then you.

Take your time. Think, read. Do not rush things. Check everything five times.

Hardest part is pulling the carb for the leak jet swap. Because of this, I reccomend getting the R&D adjustable leak jet. Costs about $100 bucks, but the carb removal is such a pain to do, it is money well spent. Pull the carb one time, install the R&D unit. Future adjsutms of the leak jet can be made with a screwdriver in 5 seconds.

william will know about the exhaust capabilities but as far as I know, the head pipe is not interchangeable.

you don't even need a kit to remove the AIS. I JB welded the inside of my mikuni smog pump so if I go to a place where it is needed, it will be there, but disabled from withing.

almost all YZF 03-05 will fit WRF 03-06/yzf 06-now:wrf 07-now

with a few exceptions like airbox, numberplate( i have the 06yzf numberplate on my 06wrf, some modding required)

i think the seats are interchangeable, idk why they wouldn't be. the tanks, plastics are

Seats are only the same for 07 and 08. Earlier models will not fit.

Dude, just go to www.thumperfaq.com

The info is for the older bikes but it is very helpfull. I used it like a bible when I got my 06 WR.:thumbsup: It goes through all the free mods and jetting, has almost all the infoyou need. Any thing thats not there can be found searchin TT