Sign in to follow this  

pressure relief valve kits

Whats everybody's opinion on the pressure relief valve kits that go on your forks so you can just push the button to bleed them. Are they good or not. Also what is the best brand to get for them.

seriously i just use a flat head screwdriver. it takes 30 secs a fork. i do it 1-2x times through a night of racing.

is there really a need for those bleeders?

I know it isn't hard to take out the bolt... But once you have the bleeders, man, they are so convenient, just press and the air gets released. I don't think that I'll ever go back to the regular old method of releasing air. One of the better $18 to $20 I spent on my bike.

convenient, yes, but if one were to fail during a race, then its oil in your face (and your fork won't work well either)

might be a dumb question but whats the purpose of bleeding the air out of forks?

built up pressure.......forks develop it with heat and lots of up/down action.........not relieving pressure can push fluid out the seals........giving you a false indication of worn seals.....the owner's manual states it be done before and after every single ride

wow. so just slacken the screws and let it blow it off? i need to start doing that for sure!

wow. so just slacken the screws and let it blow it off? i need to start doing that for sure!

wait about a few hours after you ride to bleed.......if you don't plan on riding:ride:

Always be sure to have your bike on the stand, front wheel off the ground before bleeding the forks...

seriously i just use a flat head screwdriver. it takes 30 secs a fork. i do it 1-2x times through a night of racing.

is there really a need for those bleeders?

YES! Because it reminds you to do this before a moto. And you don't have to worry about losing that tiny screw.

convenient, yes, but if one were to fail during a race, then its oil in your face (and your fork won't work well either)

Not so. I had one come apart (the button part) in a moto. Noticed it later. There was no oil spray as the body was still intact.

The after market bleeders are certainly a convinience but, as mentioned earlier they can break on the track or on the trails. No thanks, don't need to add to the list of items that can fail.

I like the convenience of the bleeders but my concern is whether or not they let air in under certain circumstances??

Undoubtly i let air out of my forks after every good ride with these but this was not always the case when i use to unscrew the stock bleeder screw. Anybody know what the pros do? I would hate to let air in the forks when i need them to work the most.

I like the convenience of the bleeders but my concern is whether or not they let air in under certain circumstances??

Undoubtly i let air out of my forks after every good ride with these but this was not always the case when i use to unscrew the stock bleeder screw. Anybody know what the pros do? I would hate to let air in the forks when i need them to work the most.

As long as your bike is on the stand with the fork legs fully extended and no weight on them, they won't vacuum air into them.

I use and love the bleeders. I hear air release every time I push them. I think the location of the screw plugs is a PITA and I am sure plenty of guys have dropped them in the dirt and never found them. My suspension tech just recently started to suggest these to everyone, even though I have run them for years.

Just don't be an idiot like me and overtighten them...it doesn't take much force to snap the head right off.

Everyone should have a little 911 kit. Whether you keep it on you or in the truck. I've had the STR brand speed bleeders on mine since day one. Zero problems. I do, however, keep the original screws in a zip lock back in my 911 kit just in case they're needed.