who has tried different knee braces

well i just broke my tibia plateau and i will find out about my acl monday but im thinking with knee braces it might not of been so serious.

so im thinking a high end brace and its between the evs webb-asterix-or the fox pod. i have thick but short legs so if anyone has any input on what has worked best for them let me know cause i want to make the right decision. i am leaning a little bit towards the evs web right now

Broke my tibia plateau wearing knee braces - cased the bike in some whoops and femur slammed into tibia and shattered top 3 inches. Braces didn't cause, but didn't help in any way either.

How did you break yours?

The best advice you can get on this forum is from Dr. Mark - great guy and the only one I will let operate on my knees from now on.

Broke my tibia plateau wearing knee braces - cased the bike in some whoops and femur slammed into tibia and shattered top 3 inches. Braces didn't cause, but didn't help in any way either.

How did you break yours?

The best advice you can get on this forum is from Dr. Mark - great guy and the only one I will let operate on my knees from now on.

sounds similar, i cased a double and that is when my knee broke was from the impact of casing the jump not from hitting the ground. We will never know if knee would of helped but maybe i would feel more confident with knee braces. did you do and acl damage and how long were you off the bike?? how expensive is dr marc?

Think I do have some acl damage, for certain, lost some meniscus and cartilage on the knee. Knee feels a little wierd when coming down slopes - MRI before last surgery said acl was deficient.

The doc who did surgery the next day after I broke it misaligned my leg (poor alignment) and did an osteotomy a few months after the first surgery. Told me to go full weight bearing after 2 weeks, that the plate and screws he used would keep it aligned (it didn't). He was going to do another osteotomy, but backed out at the last minute in the OR. Basically, he is convinced I would need a fake knee in a year or two and thought it could be addressed then (that was 2004 and I don't think I need, nor do I want a fake knee at this point).

All in all, that cost my insurance around $50k. I would have been far ahead to have gone to Dr. Mark in the first place, even though with my height (6'7") trying to fit in airplance seats is not comfortable even when my knees are OK. I did have surgery scheduled with Dr. Mark last Feb. but had some issues arise and couldn't leave here at that time - am in my busy season now and short a couple of employees at the moment. Am going when work slows down and/or I can find and hire more employees.

I also had surgery on my other knee in the 70's that had less than desirable results (cut nerve & artery, nearly bled to death on table) and required more surgery. The last doc and the one in the 70's both had excellent reputations in their location - nice guys but dropped the ball in my surgeries.

From my experience, go to the best for knee care. From my research Dr. Mark is the one I want doing orthopedic work on me. I have met him and he is a all around good guy who knows his subject and tells it like it is. You can contact him at anytime. Since he rides bikes too, he knows what our joints are enduring when we ride.

Well, I know how expensive our clinic is. The drive out cost of ACL surgery, inclusive of all services is $15,500. That is about the lowest price in the USA. Since we do so many of them, its easy to lower the costs.

The tibial plateau is a completely different story. I would have to see the X-ray first before I would know it it needs an operation or not.

Well, I know how expensive our clinic is. The drive out cost of ACL surgery, inclusive of all services is $15,500. That is about the lowest price in the USA. Since we do so many of them, its easy to lower the costs.

The tibial plateau is a completely different story. I would have to see the X-ray first before I would know it it needs an operation or not.

i will see about getting you a copy of my x-rays tomorow and also have an update.

if i do need an acl surgery i will hace you look at it and do everything possible to have you do it cause im convinced that i will get the best results with you

if i do need an acl surgery i will hace you look at it and do everything possible to have you do it cause im convinced that i will get the best results with you

Iam going down this thursday to have Dr.Sanders do my acl,mcl surgery. I have asked him alot of questions and he has answered everyone of them. I even have talked with patients of his on the phone and by what they have told me and how well they are doing Iam convinced he will be the best. Iam even turning down a doctor in Charlotte North Carolina who was the NFL's North Carolina Panthers team doctor for the first six years.

I'll be waiting for you to post the X-ray.

so i just got word, the acl is torn but they have me starting physical therapy wednesdy to get the flexibility back before they will do surgery. i told them that i was gonna get a second opinion so i now have a efilm with everything on it but i cant figure out how to send or save to my folder so maybe you want me to just mail you the whole cd?how do you feel about putting off surgery til winter?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an asterisk for my left knee. They're solid, but they don't stay secure. At first I had to ditch the lace sliders because they kept working loose. Cute, but a very poor design. Tying the laces worked for a while, but now the buckles that secure the lacing to the outside of the brace keep unsnapping as I ride. They protect really well when they're secure but are totally useless when they come undone.

Andrew- yeah complete rupture of the ACL and meniscus tear. The doc wrote me a prescription and said my right knee also had some problems(even though it was fine) so that they would cover the right knee aswell but they ended up not covering it. So when I can ride again in another 5 months and 9 days I will have to dish out the cash for the right brace.

That sucks. You think that if you just went to your doc and said that you ride mx he would write you a perscription and insurace would cover. It would be cheaper then them paying to surgically repair your knee, or leg, or whatever you break. Oh well, never said insurance companies were smart.

maybe too late? I work for a company that sells all brands of braces. I initially had bilateral custom CTI's and eventually replaced them with off the shelf Don Joy Armors. I personally like the Don Joys better. They seem to stay in place better and they are less bulky and heavy. Todd