XR650L V XR650R V KTM Enduro 690

i know its the age old question but, i'm looking for a bike that i can use for work (not that far 10 miles at the most), and take my girlfriend on some jeep trails with?

i like the KTM but the honda is so much cheaper and i know the XR is a reliable old beast.

is the only difference bettween the L and the R cosmetic? is it the same engine, frame and suspension? dose the R have an E-start? i never normally go with the road version because they can be a bit lame, but the L has rear foot pegs where as the R i would have to fabricate something.

:thumbsup:

The XR650R and XR650L are completely different. The L is air cooled and the R liquid. The R is a more hard core dirt bike and is only kick start. The dirt bike version of the L is the XR600R which was discontinued in 2001.

It sounds like you are only looking at light dirt use. If so you might consider the DR650 or even a KLR. The L is a more capable dirt bike than either of those. It just depends on how you plan on using it.

The KTM is a great bike. The downside is the cost.

The L is a more capable dirt bike than either of those. It just depends on how you plan on using it.

How is the L a more capable dirtbike than the R. I would say the R or 690 would both be better dirtbikes than the L.

The R has more power all around, lighter, and just a rip snorting beast, the L is more of a casual ride (20 year old technology)

How is the L a more capable dirtbike than the R. I would say the R or 690 would both be better dirtbikes than the L.

The R has more power all around, lighter, and just a rip snorting beast, the L is more of a casual ride (20 year old technology)

i think he means the L is better that the DR650 and the KLR.

i've just looked at some pictures of the L and the R, i can see the difference now. do you think i could take a passenger on the R if i made some rear foot rest?

It's definitely been done before. Baja Designs had some passenger pegs for the R last I checked.

However, it's popular knowledge that the R's subframe isn't designed for heavy loads. Putt-putting with a passenger wouldn't be a problem, I don't think, but it's worth putting a little extra thought into.

The L is much better w/pas.

I have both and have ridden many miles with my kids on back.

The R is a dirt bike and the L is a dual sport. The L has an electric starter and the R is kick start. My friend has an R and it can be difficult to start if it is hot and you don't do it juuusst right. The R is not street legal here in CA unless you add some bits, like turn signals, and get it "plated" (license plate).

As noted, the XR650L is 20-year old technology. It is a good design and many have been sold. There are lots of after-market parts.

The KTM would probably be the best choice if you can afford it. It is a new design and they generally make excellent bikes. It also has a 6th gear, which would be nice out on the open road. Though time will tell it should be really good on both the road and in the dirt. Though I really like my XR650L I think I might spend the extra bucks for the KTM if I was doing it today.

Best,

Rifflebox

'07 XR650L

i think he means the L is better that the DR650 and the KLR.

i've just looked at some pictures of the L and the R, i can see the difference now. do you think i could take a passenger on the R if i made some rear foot rest?

Ok so if we had to list these in order from worst dirtbike to best it would go....

KLR

DR

XRL

XRR/690

right...

Id say study up on the 3 your interested in and find out which one is better for you, dont let us decide. But i just gota say my XR650R eats my moms DR650 in every way, better handling, better suspension, and power that the DR cant compete with:p although the DR is more comfy for long rides, anything over 200 miles i normally wont take the XRR.

The subframe is a definate consideration. The L will handle the extra weight and be more comfy than an R with two riders IMO.

Ok so if we had to list these in order from worst dirtbike to best it would go....

KLR

DR

XRL

XRR/690

right...

Id say study up on the 3 your interested in and find out which one is better for you, dont let us decide. But i just gota say my XR650R eats my moms DR650 in every way, better handling, better suspension, and power that the DR cant compete with:p although the DR is more comfy for long rides, anything over 200 miles i normally wont take the XRR.

1st TE610

2nd KTM 690

3rd DRZ400S

4th XR650R

5th TE510

6th XR650L

7th DR650

8th KLR

If it were not for the vibration, the kick start, the extra work to get street legal, then the XR650R would have been my 1st choice, even though it looks outdated. If I had to pick one for a race in the dirt, it would be the TE510. For the Baja 1000, close call between the TE610 and the XR650R.

The subframe is a definate consideration. The L will handle the extra weight and be more comfy than an R with two riders IMO.

If she doesn't mind sitting on the tool bag and he is jammed up against the tank. While the L has buddy pegs, there is not much room for a passenger. I also know when someone is back there as my headlight is up in the trees.:thumbsup:

If I had to pick one for a race in the dirt, it would be the TE510. For the Baja 1000, close call between the TE610 and the XR650R.

If it's for one race in the dirt, the TE will do. If it's for the next 10 years (or many races), I'll take the XRR.

If it's for one race in the dirt, the TE will do. If it's for the next 10 years (or many races), I'll take the XRR.

For riding in the desert where you are, I would probably plate a Zook RM250 or a KTM300 so it's nice and light, in the sand. Riding a heavy bike up the sand dunes must be tough.

Ma - Salama

For riding in the desert where you are, I would probably plate a Zook RM250 or a KTM300 so it's nice and light, in the sand. Riding a heavy bike up the sand dunes must be tough.

Ma - Salama

It may be tough or maybe I'm just stupid... there have been times when my body has cried out for a 250...

the 650R is the only bike i've ever ridden in desert (apart from a few stupid attempts on a KTM 640 Supermoto with 17" front wheel and road tires, you can imagine how that ended up...)

so I don't know the pleasure of a light bike.:ride:

But in the long run I wouldn't swop the low-revving torque of the pig for anything, so nice to be able to climb dunes in 4th gear...

Thanks for the PM, ek het dit verstaan en ek het probeer in die taal antwoord, maar ek's nie 'n ware boer nie... :thumbsup:

Of the 3 choices, here is my opinion:

KTM 690 = heaviest, probably most road worthy, least tweaks needed out of the box

XR650L = Lighter, less road worthy, needs tweaks/mods

XR650R = Lighter than L, least road worthy, needs tweaks/mods