Changing front sprocket

Want to change the front sprocket on my girlfriend's DR650: from 14 to 15.

I've done minor changes to my DR: IMS tank, Jesse tailight and tail bob/license plate change, but not much else.

Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Weiss/Oakland, CA

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting ready to change from a 15 to a 14 tooth front sproket and have read through the thread. Question: does this require removing links from the chain, or can it be adjusted without having to remove any links from the chain?

I am getting ready to change from a 15 to a 14 tooth front sproket and have read through the thread. Question: does this require removing links from the chain, or can it be adjusted without having to remove any links from the chain?

Tlinzas right, all you'll have to do after you install the 14er is change the position of the axle-snails to adjust the chain tension. Make sure to have the chain on the loose side, rather than the tight side of adjustment.

Want to change the front sprocket on my girlfriend's DR650: from 14 to 15.

I've done minor changes to my DR: IMS tank, Jesse tailight and tail bob/license plate change, but not much else.

Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Weiss/Oakland, CA

Since the bike already has a 14t on it I'm guessing someone else did that. You'll need to check to see if you have a 520 or a 525 chain, this will influence which sproket you get. The 525 is stock on all DR's, but double check first.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all help on changing the front sprocket. I finally got sometime this afternoon to give it a go. Everything seemed okay except, that stock rubber o-ring or gasket that fits under the stock keeper plate and tightens against the sprocket. I went from a 15 tooth to 14 so the diameter of the new sprocket is smaller and that rubber o-ring wouldn't fit. I see why people go with Jessie's clip system. Is this rubber o-ring necessary here? Must be or they wouldn't have included it - right? I put it together without it but haven't rode yet and won't until I hear some opinions, in the mean time I better order a clip from Jessie I suppose.

Thanks to all help on changing the front sprocket. I finally got sometime this afternoon to give it a go. Everything seemed okay except, that stock rubber o-ring or gasket that fits under the stock keeper plate and tightens against the sprocket. I went from a 15 tooth to 14 so the diameter of the new sprocket is smaller and that rubber o-ring wouldn't fit. I see why people go with Jessie's clip system. Is this rubber o-ring necessary here? Must be or they wouldn't have included it - right? I put it together without it but haven't rode yet and won't until I hear some opinions, in the mean time I better order a clip from Jessie I suppose.

Trimming down the OD of the stock retainer is necessary for chain clearance with the 14 toother. Most folks pitch the damper gasket at that point. I run a Jesse 14 toother with clip. ?

Be careful with the cheesy bolts use to attach the retainer plate to the sprocket - very soft and the plate will strip the threads off (I know). Use some short socket screws instead.